Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-30-2015, 08:16 PM   #41

We added Timbren's to our Tundra to help with the suspension and improve the ride. So far it handle's the trailer very nicely. Really I'd pop over to a RAM forum as well and ask what people are comfortably towing with your truck specs and what upgrades they have made. That gave me confidence that we would be ok with the 28 BHBE and the Tundra.
MommieMara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 07:30 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommieMara View Post
We added Timbren's to our Tundra to help with the suspension and improve the ride. So far it handle's the trailer very nicely. Really I'd pop over to a RAM forum as well and ask what people are comfortably towing with your truck specs and what upgrades they have made. That gave me confidence that we would be ok with the 28 BHBE and the Tundra.
Thanks for the real-life experience feedback. I have had some feedback from some of the WDH companies as well and have learned that some of that tongue weight is applied against the trailer GVW and not 100% against the TV GVW - the exact amount depends on the the truck wheelbase, distance from rear axle to the hitch ball, as well as the trailer axle distance from the hitch ball.

So believe it or not, when I do the math on my truck and the 28BHBE, it shows me as being 1 lb overweight when the gas tank is full with nothing in the trailer. Figure by the time I pull out of the gas station, I will have burned off enough to be within spec. If I add 1000 lbs to the trailer for gear, a bit of water, etc and apply 10% of that to the hitch, I will end up being about 85 lbs overweight which is about the same as a half tank of gas.

Has been a huge learning curve but this forum has made me feel much more comfortable and I now have a much better understanding of the load distribution and how it might impact me. Now to put theory into practice...and figure out what "unsprung weight" is - I might be an engineer by the time I buy the trailer
TommyAjax is offline   Reply With Quote