Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-28-2015, 08:22 PM   #1

Tow Vehicle and Payload Capacity

Hi Everyone,

Would like to ask if anyone is using a Ram 1500 as a tow vehicle? I bought a 2014 1500 Sport 4x4 with 3.92 gearing last fall with the plan of upgrading from my Jayco pop-up to a travel trailer. Now that I am doing the math, I have realised that I am bumping up against the payload capacity for the truck if I get anything with more than a 550-600 lb tongue weight even though the advertising pumps "pull up to 10,000 lbs".

The GVWR of the Ram is 6900 lbs and I had it weighed today with a full tank of gas and me sitting in it and came out to 6000 lbs. That leaves me 900 lbs for wife, two kids, and the hitch. Figure about 250 lbs for the wife and kids, 65 lbs for the hitch leaves me at 585 lbs for the trailer.

We would like to get the Jay Flight 28BHBE which has a 610 lb tongue weight according to the brochure. Can my Ram safely handle this trailer? The GAWR has room, the GCVWR has room, but the payload is the issue. Would I get a ticket if I was slightly over? Has anyone been cited for being overweight on the tow vehicle payload capacity?

Looking for any insight that the group can offer...thanks
TommyAjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 08:48 PM   #2

I have never heard of any non-commerical driver/vehicle get a ticket for being overweight. However that certainly doesn't make it right or safe.

Someone will be along to tell you that you will get sued and that your insurance company won't cover you should you have an accident while being over weight. Again I have never seen proof of this claim although you read it all the time.

That said, the 28BHBE is a very nice TT and I think its to much for you truck. You can search threads and find owners reporting actual CAT scale weights, they are almost always 1000+ Lbs. The published dry tongue weight of 610 doesn't inlcude batteries or propane. If you can find an actual yellow as-built sticker, it will include propane, but still not battery(ies).

You are up against the classic 1500/150 series issue, not nearly enough pay load to match the tow ratings.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 08:55 PM   #3

You will get great advice from people far more experienced than me but I would like to share this website to help.

I would venture to say they will tell you that the advertised hitch weight is usually lighter than it will actually be when trailer is fully loaded. Look at yellow sticker on trailer of actual trailer weight and figure how much you will load in it. Tongue weight should be between 10-15% of trailer weight.

RV Tow Check 2.0 | Towing Guide Eliminator
Country_Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 09:37 PM   #4

Tommy I just bought a 29qbs thinking my 1500 Silverado was going to be enough truck. I looked at the numbers and thought I was not even close to my max towing capacity so therefor I must be ok. I took it to the scales the day after I bought it and I am now shopping for a 2500. I think I'll be able to stay below my max numbers (I had 150lbs to spare) if I don't put to much into my trailer but I don't want to be at my max. Just doesn't feel good to have to constantly be worried about it. Also if we end up taking through the Rockies, which is the plan, I want to know I've got the stopping power of a bigger truck. Makes me wish I had done a little more research prior to buying the TT but I love it so much I don't know that I'd do anything different anyway.
canadiankid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 10:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyAjax View Post
Hi Everyone,

Would like to ask if anyone is using a Ram 1500 as a tow vehicle? I bought a 2014 1500 Sport 4x4 with 3.92 gearing last fall with the plan of upgrading from my Jayco pop-up to a travel trailer. Now that I am doing the math, I have realised that I am bumping up against the payload capacity for the truck if I get anything with more than a 550-600 lb tongue weight even though the advertising pumps "pull up to 10,000 lbs".

The GVWR of the Ram is 6900 lbs and I had it weighed today with a full tank of gas and me sitting in it and came out to 6000 lbs. That leaves me 900 lbs for wife, two kids, and the hitch. Figure about 250 lbs for the wife and kids, 65 lbs for the hitch leaves me at 585 lbs for the trailer.

We would like to get the Jay Flight 28BHBE which has a 610 lb tongue weight according to the brochure. Can my Ram safely handle this trailer? The GAWR has room, the GCVWR has room, but the payload is the issue. Would I get a ticket if I was slightly over? Has anyone been cited for being overweight on the tow vehicle payload capacity?

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiankid View Post
Tommy I just bought a 29qbs thinking my 1500 Silverado was going to be enough truck. I looked at the numbers and thought I was not even close to my max towing capacity so therefor I must be ok. I took it to the scales the day after I bought it and I am now shopping for a 2500. I think I'll be able to stay below my max numbers (I had 150lbs to spare) if I don't put to much into my trailer but I don't want to be at my max. Just doesn't feel good to have to constantly be worried about it. Also if we end up taking through the Rockies, which is the plan, I want to know I've got the stopping power of a bigger truck. Makes me wish I had done a little more research prior to buying the TT but I love it so much I don't know that I'd do anything different anyway.
Well as the 2 quotes above all state I too purchased a trailer thinking I would tow it with my 2010 5.7 Tundra dbl cab. The more I read and the more info I gathered I found that while I was under my towing capacity my pin weight would be way over(mine is a 5th wheel). Because the payload weight wasn't really in the right ballpark I opted to up grade my truck, I had many people tell me that the truck would handle it fine but I don't like pushing the limits too far.
As for weight limits and getting caught, I live next to the Trans Canada Highway and I see the blitzes that the MTO put on and while they don't often target RV's but they will at times depending on the current Blitz. It usually changes what trailers or vehicles they target but at time they target them all. Also a coworker was in NH last summer on vacation and while traveling on the interstate came across a DOT station running all vehicles with trailers across the scale(he was pulling a popup with a 1500 so drove right through) and had many pulled over. While again this is not common for me taking the chance that I might have to leave my trailer behind and ruin a vacation was not worth the risk.
Besides the new smell was all out of the old truck!

2015 F350 XLT SRW 6.7 Powerstroke 4x4
Reese Elite 18k
2015 Eagle HT 29.5BHDS
Ont Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 11:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Hi Everyone,

Hey Tommy,
If the advertised tongue weight is 610# it will be more after you load your gear in the TT. I'd estimate 500 to 1000# more on the trailer which would add 75 to 150# to the tongue (estimating 15%).
The 4x4 will increase the weight of the TV and reduce the amount of cargo. Don't fool yourself into thinking adding airbags or other suspension mods will increase the GAWR, it's still a half ton truck.
What are the individual axle weights? The 4x4 adds a lot of weight to the front and decreases the available cargo.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 11:45 PM   #7

Hi Tommy. As can be seen in my signature, I have a 28BHBE. Yellow sticker weight is 7189lbs. (as she left the factory). Our first trip out was well loaded as we were out "boondocking" in Wells Gray Provincial Park in BC. We scaled out at approx 8800lbs trailer weight, 1200lbs of which was tongue weight. We did have full fresh water tanks (700+lbs). (Elite pkg). Our 3500HD Silverado gasser f had no troubles with all this trailer at all.

I have found it is best to calculate off of Gross Trailer Weight for tongue weight using 15% max for calculation. This way you know that you will have enough truck for the job. JMHO.

Also be sure to hit the scales...
Happy Camping.
Andersen Hitch.
'07 Northern Lite 10-2RR Camper.
SuperSprings.
Northern Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 12:00 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Jay View Post
Hi Tommy. As can be seen in my signature, I have a 28BHBE. Yellow sticker weight is 7189lbs. (as she left the factory). Our first trip out was well loaded as we were out "boondocking" in Wells Gray Provincial Park in BC. We scaled out at approx 8800lbs trailer weight, 1200lbs of which was tongue weight. We did have full fresh water tanks (700+lbs). (Elite pkg). Our 3500HD Silverado gasser f had no troubles with all this trailer at all.

I have found it is best to calculate off of Gross Trailer Weight for tongue weight using 15% max for calculation. This way you know that you will have enough truck for the job. JMHO.

Also be sure to hit the scales...
Happy Camping.

Scales, YES!
That's a big difference in weights. Your dry weight is 7189 which would be about 1079# on the tongue. Tommy's tongue is advertised at 610#.
This don't add up to me

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 05:48 AM   #9

I'm not sure how they get away with advertising weights the way the do. It's obviously done to sell more trailers but the fact that they don't add propane tanks,batteries and a hitch adds a couple hundred pounds before you even start loading gear. For a newbie such as myself I figured even if I added 100lbs to the advertised weights I'd be fine but those weights are on a bare bones trailer with no options or anything. Very deceiving!
canadiankid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 07:01 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiankid View Post
I'm not sure how they get away with advertising weights the way the do. It's obviously done to sell more trailers but the fact that they don't add propane tanks,batteries and a hitch adds a couple hundred pounds before you even start loading gear. For a newbie such as myself I figured even if I added 100lbs to the advertised weights I'd be fine but those weights are on a bare bones trailer with no options or anything. Very deceiving!
Yes, they are very deceiving...
I bought a new Chevy 1500 in Feb of 2014 after looking online at trailers and weights thinking it would be perfect for towing what we wanted to buy later in the year. Man was I wrong... Once we started actually shopping and seeing the real weights posted on the units on the lot it became apparent we needed more truck. We originally wanted the 28BHBE and like you thought it was enough truck until I dug into the numbers. Do a search on this forum for the 28BHBE and you'll see a few conversations about pulling it with a 1/2 ton vs 3/4. There are a few doing it with 1/2 tons but most are 3/4 or want a 3/4. Unfortunately the Ram has one of the lowest payloads of the 1/2 tons which I found surprising..
drk98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 07:59 AM   #11

I can tell you from experience, you will likely be able to tow the trailer (esp if your RAM has the 5.7), but you will definitely be over on payload, and you will get tired of the towing experience VERY quickly. That trailer is too much for that truck IMHO unless your usage pattern is low speed, relatively short trips in the flats. But even that doesn't change the fact that you will be over your payload spec.

Keep in mind, some people don't care about being over on payload if their truck FEELS right, and they stay under GAWR on the rear axle, but I'm not in that camp because my 1/2T never felt very confident towing this trailer. There are guys towing this trailer with 1/2T trucks and doing perfectly fine.

There is a significant difference between being technically able to tow the trailer and whether you should. I was technically able, and my numbers were within specifications (in the beginning, but like everyone else, I add gear at a pretty good clip). I was never confident in my setup, and it just wasn't worth it to be worrying all the time about weights, and wondering if I was putting my family at risk.

So I bit the bullet and traded in my GMC Sierra 1500 on a RAM 2500. Haven't been on the first trip yet, but just bringing the trailer home from storage, I can tell you, it's a HUGE difference. I can tell you that my rig is WELL within specifications now, so if nothing else, that's one less thing to worry about all the time.

These two threads are VERY relevant to your current situation. Those CAT scale results were shortly after I bought my trailer, and we pack VERY light (or at least we used to, that was before my son was born and our "stuff" suddenly increased by a factor of 4!).

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...ing-26695.html

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...lts-17202.html

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 10:50 AM   #12

I had a Ram 1500 with 5.7 Hemi and 3.92 pulling a Jayco Eagle 256RKS with a yellow sticker of about 5500#s. While Dodge stated a tow capacity of 8500#s, the towing experience was not a good one. I traded the Ram 1500 for my Ram 2500 and the towing experience changed dramatically with the Jayco Eagle 256RKS. I now have a Eagle 28BHBE, basically the Eagle version of the Jayflight and based on my experiences the Jayflight 284BHBE is too much trailer for your truck, especially when it comes to safety.

2012 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4x4 5.7 Hemi 4.10
2015 Jayco Eagle 284BHBE
2009 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 256RKS
2007 Jayflight 20BH
1997 Fleetwood Cheyenne PUP
1984 Rockwood 1080 - PUP 1969 Coleman PUP
gcloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 11:28 AM   #13

Add another one to the upgraded truck list. We upgraded our 2013 F150 after about 3 or 4 trips pulling a lighter 28BHS. The trailer you are looking at will easily be in the 900 to 1000lbs tongue weight range.
My usual formula is to take the dry weight (6135lbs) and add 1000lbs of stuff and use 13% of that weight for your tongue weight.

7135*0.13=928lbs tongue weight.

You could be a little lighter or heavier but not 300lbs lighter. I don't think travel trailers tow well with only 10% tongue weight.

What is your door jamb payload capacity? Rams are usually at the lower end for payload but 900lbs sounds a little low. Do you carry a lot of permanent weight (tools, tonneau cover, bed mat...) that you could remove for some more payload?

Cheers
Old 04-29-2015, 12:24 PM   #14

I have a 2014 Ram Sport 4X4 with 5.7Hemi. I only have the 3:21 axle so towing a trailer as big as the 28BHBE is not an option for me but I will give what I figured out for payload on my Ram.
Sticker on the door says 1318lbs payload. I figure with my family loaded in the truck and nothing else, my max tongue weight would be around 900lbs (with a full tank of fuel). However I am a big believer in giving myself a 10 to 15% safety margin so I have given myself what I believe to be a realistic and safe max tonque weight around 800lbs for any trailer I would look to haul. Some people tell me I am being too cautious with putting that limit at 800lbs and I can do closer to 1000lbs of tongue weight. The answer is yes I probably could but why put myself and my family in a potentially unsafe position.
Old 04-29-2015, 02:03 PM   #15

The door tire load sticker says "the combined weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed 1254 lbs". I did add a Mopar Hard Tri-fold tonneau cover after purchase, otherwise I have factory options of sunroof, wheel to wheel side steps, spray in bedliner that would add to the base weight. I personally weigh in at about 250 so going from the "advertised" curb weight of 5450 + 250 for me + 300 lbs for the tonneau cover, sidesteps, bedliner, sunroof and a couple of car seats for the kids seems reasonable and gets to the 6000 lbs that the scale said. There isn't anything else that I can think of as "permanent" weight...

The Cat scale numbers were:
Front Axle : 3380 lbs
Rear Axle: 2620 lbs
Total: 6000 lbs

I stopped in at two different RV stores this afternoon and when I mentioned that I was concerned about the GVWR on the truck vs the floor plans that we liked, they looked at me like I had a third hand growing out of my head...
TommyAjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 02:06 PM   #16

Quote:
The door tire load sticker says "the combined weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed 1254 lbs". I did add a Mopar Hard Tri-fold tonneau cover after purchase, otherwise I have factory options of sunroof, wheel to wheel side steps, spray in bedliner that would add to the base weight. I personally weigh in at about 250 so going from the "advertised" curb weight of 5450 + 250 for me + 300 lbs for the tonneau cover, sidesteps, bedliner, sunroof and a couple of car seats for the kids seems reasonable and gets to the 6000 lbs that the scale said. There isn't anything else that I can think of as "permanent" weight...

The Cat scale numbers were:
Front Axle : 3380 lbs
Rear Axle: 2620 lbs
Total: 6000 lbs

I stopped in at two different RV stores this afternoon and when I mentioned that I was concerned about the GVWR on the truck vs the floor plans that we liked, they looked at me like I had a third hand growing out of my head...
I had the same experience. All the dealers seem to understand is rated towing capacity. I did have one tell me that it would be wise to stay 10%-15% below that but that's the "best" advice I got from a dealer.
drk98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 02:28 PM   #17

Suppose we all had real third party approved DOT/NHTSA standard B pillar numbers on our trucks. None developed by manufacturers but the real thing. My bet is that not a single truck from 1/2 ton to 1 ton would pass the tests based upon current numbers. They would all come way down. A 250 to 350 is a spring pack change. A max tow package is a bigger alternator.

You folks have way to much faith in a system that is not an actual system at all.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 03:09 PM   #18

Tommy,

I have the trailer you mentioned.

I think by now you have gathered that "advice" from RV salesman is not helpful (to put it in the kindest possible way).

You need to educate yourself, and you have taken the best first step by asking here on the forum.

There are all kinds of specifications. However, to me the only one that matters is what I call the "underwear color" specification. That is, the right truck for the trailer I want is the truck that will let me exit the cab after a day of travel where the usual collection of idiots on the road did their usual collection of stupid stuff and my shorts are still the same white color I started the day with. For me that was a truck that was operating at about 80% of the paper specifications.

I read that "80% rule" somewhere in one forum or another and it made a lot of sense to me.

So, my answer is that no, I don't think you have enough truck for the desired Jayflight 28BHBE, and that you will find travel far more enjoyable if you go to a larger truck.
Old 04-29-2015, 03:15 PM   #19

Quote:
Most salespeople at RV dealerships will tell you a Pinto will tow a 5th wheel all day long. Some don't know, some don't care, all are looking for a sale TODAY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldermike View Post
Suppose we all had real third party approved DOT/NHTSA standard B pillar numbers on our trucks. None developed by manufacturers but the real thing. My bet is that not a single truck from 1/2 ton to 1 ton would pass the tests based upon current numbers. They would all come way down. A 250 to 350 is a spring pack change. A max tow package is a bigger alternator.

You folks have way to much faith in a system that is not an actual system at all.
Many "Max Tow" packages include auxiliary engine oil and transmission oil coolers as well as "bigger alternators".

And we can only use what we have. With the development and adoption of SAE J2807 standards, I'm hoping that gets us closer. I'm not an engineer, nor do I have enough money to drive a truck into the ground to see when it breaks, so I have no choice but to trust what the manufacturer tells me.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 04:11 PM   #20

I just bought the 2015 the Jayflight 28bhbe (great trailer). I had them put a weight distribution hitch on my truck. It distributes the weight over the whole truck not just the back, so my truck does not squat. It has the hitch and then two armlike things with chains (kind of works like the handles on a wheel barrel to distribute the weight). I am running 2013 F-150 ecoboost with towing capacity (per manufacturer) of 9,200. The weight of the trailer is approx. 6100 (not fiberglass option, fiberglass makes it heavier approx. 7100 with fiberglass option) with capacity to 9200. I figure with it full of all our stuff I am looking at about 7,200 pounds towing. Maybe want to look into that weight distribution hitch.
JerryB13 is offline   Reply With Quote