Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-10-2012, 05:49 PM   #1

tow vehicle recommendations

Just purchased a Jay Flight 32 TSBH. It is one big TT! At present it is stored at Myrtle Beach SC, about 275 miles from home. I would love to bring it home and explore camping in other areas, but alas, my present 2006 Toyota Tundra could NEVER tow it! I am looking at buying a used pickup that can handle towing this TT. I don't have alot to spend so new is out of the question. I need 4 doors. Questions are these
1. Diesel or gas?
2. Automatic or manual?
3. 4x4 or 2X4?
4. any special options I should look for so as to avoid having to add later?
5. what about gearing?

quick specs on TT are
unloaded vehicle wgt...8075
dry hitch.. 940
gross vehicle weight rating....10500
cargo carrying capacity....2425

thank you in advance for your advice.
krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:14 PM   #2

All of those answers depend on your budget. Anything in the 3/4 or 1 ton arena will pull your trailer, but a newer diesel automatic will pull it better than an older gasser with manual tranny. 4X4 isn't necessary unless you store the trailer in a muddy lot. The only special option you really need is a tow package, but that is pretty much standard on any 3/4 or 1 ton truck built in the last 10 years. You may want to look into upgrading your hitch no matter what truck you get. Gearing will all depend on what motor and tranny you get. New trucks get by just fine with 3.31 or 3.55 gears, but older trucks (especially gassers) will likely need/have 4.10s.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:59 PM   #3

I'm brad new to diesel myself, just went from 1/2 ton gasser to 3/4 diesel...definitely get a diesel. Mine is a 6 speed auto with 3.73 and I absolutely love towing now. There are a couple of grades in CA I regularly tow and used to cringe when thinking about it before. On the last trip I took one of those grades that I used to be lucky to get 40mph at 60mph with lots more available.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:14 AM   #4

A lot of times the truck we tow with has to do extra duty as a commuter or work truck. Take a look at how often you tow vs how much you drive an empty truck. A diesel truck is a lot more expencive to buy and maintain. Diesel is also a lot more expensive which negates some of the economy of driving and towing with diesel. Only you can decide what is best for you.

Diesel trucks sure do tow nice.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 05:31 PM   #5

I thought that diesels where cheaper to maintain.
krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 05:52 PM   #6

I awlays heard that, but my research has indicated that it much of a difference.

Routine fluid changes cost marginally more because there is twice the fluid to exchange. Filters are larger and cost a little more. Fuel filters are changed more frequently in a diesel, depending on who you listen too it could be as often as every other oil change.

I have an Allison 6 Speed ATF and Allison advises against dropping the pan or flushing the fluid with machine, they prefer you simply drain and fill as well as change the spin on trany filter...this made trany service a DYI for me, whereas before I paid a lot fr transmission services. Also, with a Allison, if you use their recomended TranSyn ATF @ $35 gallon vs DexVI it is 100,000 miles between fluid exchanges just change the spin on filter and replace he fluid lost in the filter.

For me, buying used the premium for diesel ove gas wasn't as bad as new. And now I think it was worth every penny.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:09 PM   #7

If $$ is limited, I suggest looking at a used Ford F-350 with 6.8L V-10 gas. I know a lot of guys really like the diesels, but they are often $6,000 to $7,000 more, and you can buy a lot of gas for that. My F-350 V-10 with 3:73 rear tows an 11,000 lb 5th wheel with no trouble at all, and I wouldn't trade it for any diesel. Just my humble opinion.
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:19 PM   #8

Oil changes are more and repairs are usually more spendy but they last three times as long and pull twice as hard. I wouldn't trade my diesel for two free gassers.Once you go diesel you don't go back.
Old 07-12-2012, 05:00 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfbeaver View Post
Oil changes are more and repairs are usually more spendy but they last three times as long and pull twice as hard. I wouldn't trade my diesel for two free gassers.Once you go diesel you don't go back.
X2

I recently went to our local Ford dealer and talked with a salesman friend of mine about upgrading my TV. We orignially had a 2008 GMC Yukon XL Denali with the 6.2L V-8 Vortec engine. It was a nice vehicle, but just needed something bigger for our 308RETS. In talking with our salesman friend, I told him that I had reservations about a diesel - quite frankly I didn't like them. He looked me in the eye and said "you want the diesel". I looked back at him and said I wanted a gas...once again I got the same reply - "you want the diesel". I had to get him to explain it to me and it made perfect sense.

Basically yes, diesel may be more expensive up front (the engine, the oil changes and the fuel per gallon) but it's cheaper in the long run. The fuel mileage on the diesel trucks is far superior to the same on a gas engine. Now understand, the new laws don't require 3/4 ton and larger vehicles to report the exact numbers like you will find on other vehicles, so at this point I just had to trust his word. The oil changes are a little more expensive, but you can go 7500 miles per oil change, versus 3000 to possibly 5000 on gas engines. So in 30,000 miles, you will have 6-10 oil changes @ $60 each (up to $600) or 4 oil changes @ $100 each ($400). Now as far as the engine goes, yes the engine is a pretty hefty upgrade on the price. But, the resale value on a diesel engine is greater over a gas engine. The diesel will definately hold value over the long run (and short term if needed). Now back to the fuel mileage...in our old GMC Yukon, we were lucky to get 11 miles to the gallon in town, and got around 14-15 on the highway. Once we latched onto the camper, it was nearly 6 miles per gallon!!! Get's expensive real quick!!! On our new diesel, we are getting 12.5 in town, 19 on the highway, and 11.5 while towing our camper. So in towing the camper 100 miles, it would cost me $50 in gasoline ($3.00 per gallon, which is what it is at now locally) and now it costs me $29.56 in diesel ($3.40 per gallon).

Now as far as power - nothing can compare to the diesel. I used to get real nervous getting into high traffic areas in our old vehicle. Now, I'm the one doing all the passing on the highway.

Hopefully that can give you some insight on your gas vs. diesel question.

One more thing I would like to add that is a perk that I absolutely love - If you can find one, purchase a vehicle that already has an integrated brake controller. It's so nice to know that the TV and TT brakes are working on the same page.
imaynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 04:32 PM   #10

One factor to consider that is overlooked by many is the weight limit that can be safely added to the rear axle of the TV (ie, the GAWR). I normally see this type of analysis: TV weighs 8500lbs. TT weighs 9000lbs. TV literature states that the gross combined weight rating (GCWR) is 20,000lbs or that the TV is capable towing 11,500lbs. Either way no problem; right? The combined weights = 17,500lbs which is below the 20,000 limit. The trailer weighs 9,000lbs which is less than 11,500lbs. This simplistic analysis will lead you down the wrong path b/c there are several other factors to consider when choosing the correct TV for a specific TT. Most folks will reach the maximum rear axle weight rating for the rear axle before they even get close to the maximum TT weight. Since I don't have the weight ratings for the TV (b/c you're still looking), the one factor I would focus on initially is the GAWR for the rear axle. With a loaded TT, your tongue weight will be pushing 1200lbs. And, the unloaded gross weight of the TV is just that -- the weight does not included options added to the TV, people in the TV, gas, etc.
WIBadger is offline   Reply With Quote