Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-25-2015, 09:32 PM   #1

Tow Vehicle Squat

I'm looking for advice on about 2 inches of squat at the rear of my TV when hitched up. I'm towing a Jayco 18 S RB that weighs almost 4000 lbs loaded with a 2008 Toyota Tacoma. My front end height is the same measurement when hitched up or unhitched. I use the Equal-i-zer brand WDH. I've towed about 1500 miles with this setup with absolutely no issues! I guess my question is should I try tweaking my WDH to achieve a rear height measurement closer to what I have before hitching up or be satisfied with what I have and leave well enough alone? The truck and trailer are perfectly level when hitched. My WDH bars are parallel to the trailer frame when hooked up also.

2015 Jayco 18 S RB
2008 Toyota Taco 4.0L TV
krcarter54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 11:26 PM   #2

We had a 2011 Tacoma SR5 Double Cab Long Bed which was at the time pulling a Coachmen 230BH weighing about 4000 lbs as well. The Tacomas squat a lot, so I ended up installing Firestone Ride Rite air bags.

You've got some option like air bags or Timbren, but I don't think that just the WDH alone will lessen the squat.

Tundras are also notorious for squatting.
Old 09-26-2015, 05:44 AM   #3

I really like the air bags...they work very well.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 06:29 AM   #4

Air bags are a necessity when towing with any of today's half ton trucks, IMHO.
etex211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 08:11 AM   #5

Not sure about your WDH, but my Reese had instructions for setting the ball height and front end height when setting it up. It took some patience and a few adjustments (make one change and it effects another), but eventually, I got the whole rig level and the front end equal to unloaded height. The only caution mine had is that the ball height should not be higher than unloaded height. My ball height is lower than unloaded, but TV is level when all hooked up.

I could see where air bags would be helpful - I have some annoying bounce over bridge abutments that would probably go away with bags... or better shocks on TV.

2019 Open Range 374BHS
2107 Chevrolet 3500HD dually
Gone campin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 07:42 PM   #6

The ball height should be the same as the hitch height when the trailer is on level ground. I put Firestone airbags in my 2012 Armada just because, It was around $350.00 installed, it had coil springs and the bags went inside the springs, and actually the good ride without the trailer attached never changed. I now have a 2015 Nissan Titan, I also put air bags on it, just because, thst type mounts on the rear axle, no coil springs back there, they were about $650.00 but I feel they are worth it.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once
joe in calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 08:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by etex211 View Post
Air bags are a necessity when towing with any of today's half ton trucks, IMHO.
Totally disagree with this post, though I do understand it's your opinion. Our '10 Silverado 1500 only had just over an inch of squat (maybe 1-1/4" at most) once the wdh was set up. And barely 2" without the wd bars, with over 900lbs of tw!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe in calif View Post
The ball height should be the same as the hitch height when the trailer is on level ground. I put Firestone airbags in my 2012 Armada just because, It was around $350.00 installed, it had coil springs and the bags went inside the springs, and actually the good ride without the trailer attached never changed. I now have a 2015 Nissan Titan, I also put air bags on it, just because, thst type mounts on the rear axle, no coil springs back there, they were about $650.00 but I feel they are worth it.
Everything I have read concerning hitch set up states to set the ball height 3/4-1" higher than the coupler height (as a starting point). Once hooked up, and the wdh adjusted properly, 1-1.5" of squat is acceptable with the trailer level, or slightly nose down up to 1".

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 11:10 AM   #8

I used super springs on my Tundra. With a short box and a fifth wheel hitch there was no model of air bags available. So I installed the springs. Pretty happy with them. No rattle, easy install. My 5th wheel has a 1100# pin weight, without the springs 2" to 3" inch squat, with the springs maybe one inch squat or less.
Rlawyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 05:58 PM   #9

Make sure your WDH is pushing enough weight to the front axles. Our dealer did not push enough foward and we had to max it out. A trip to a CAT scale is well worth the time. We also put in the Roadmaster Active Suspension which we highly recommend. It helped squat and greatly reduced body roll and sway. Well worth the investment and no maintenance.
christopher.smith50 is offline   Reply With Quote