Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-17-2010, 09:18 AM   #1

Towing a 23K with Ford Explorer V8

Hi,

I'm a new trailer owner, tower and new to the forum. I'd just like to start by saying that I've found this site very informative.

My wife and I purchased a 2011 Jayfeather 23K in the fall. The dealer has agreed to store it for the winter for free. However, now begins the search for a towing vehicle.

We would like a SUV, and not a truck. So, right there, our choices are fairly limited. We looked at a few makes and models and it seems that we're going to go for a slightly used 2009 or 2010 Ford Explorer V8 [really disapointed in the new 2011, but that's a story for another forum]. The V8 is rated for about 7300lbs and the trailer is 5900lbs (full).

Does anyone have any experience with this combination, or similar combinations? I'm pretty certain that I'm ok, but just curious if anyone has experience with these combinations?

Anyone else have a 23K? How has it been to you? Anything I should know?

Thanks,

nathachev
Ottawa, Ontario
2011 Jayfeather 23K
nathanchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 09:49 AM   #2

Greetings fellow Canuck welcome to the group...

You can also look at the GM Suburban its based on the truck platform and much more suited to towing.. I think Ford ex'ed the Expeditions. You do not want a tow vehicle with a short wheel base.. the trailer will make it move at times...
I think you have done it right getting the trailer first now matching a tow vehicle to it. Many of us subtract 10-15% of a vehicles published tow rating for an extra safety margin
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 09:51 AM   #3

I can't think of any reason you would have trouble towing the 23K with the Explorer. I will recommend weight distribution and sway control equipment though. Better safe than sorry.

Welcome to the forum, we are glad to have you.
cciparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 10:22 AM   #4

I towed a 3700 lb. trailer with a 2000 Explorer. It probably weighed 5000-5500 lbs. loaded. The Explorer had a 6 cylinder with the tow package. The combination was okay.

My biggest complaint was sway. When we got passed by a semi or bus, we knew it. I think the newer models are wider, so that should help with the sway. I would invest in sway control if I were you.

Climbing up hills wasn't bad. It had a 4.1 back end, which helped. With the V8 you should be fine.

I say do it, just be aware you will be passed on grades andthe ride might not be as comfortable as you want it on windy days.
redeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 11:24 AM   #5

Welcome to the Jayco Owners Forum NathanChev! Lotsa Jayco knowlegable and tt towing informative members here and all are willing to answer questions or share their experiences! Glad you could find us
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 02:42 PM   #6

You will be just fine with the EX v8. I have an 06 Montaineer (same vehicle) with the 4.6 v8 and tow package. My TT is a 19 foot jayflight that maxes out at 6200 lbs.. I have towed with this combination several times and she pulls like a champ. Now granted your tt is 4 feet longer, but the weights ar about the same. Just get the appropriate sway control and WDH and you will be very happy with your decision. As an added bonus, theese vehicles also offer 7 passenger room, same as the big boys.The Ex/ Mtr. is a very capable TV for this size tt. You dont need to get something as big a s a Tahoe or Expedition if you dont want to. Go to this site as well. tons of inf here. -

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...play.php?f=134

:cool: 2013 F150 STX Super Cab With Factory Tow Package, Inegrated Trailer Brake Control, 5.0 Liter with 3.55 Gears and Posi Traction :cool:
villain2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 04:22 PM   #7

I know I'm one of the big boys in the crowd...

But hauling my Jayco Eagle 29 footer home with a 2002 Dodge Cummins was like the trailer really wasn't there. I had more than enough power for even bigger TT...

Specs here...
http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/person...ayco-eagle.htm
Mopar1973Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 02:52 PM   #8

The Explorer with a V8 should pull that trailer very well. Just make sure that you have a good brake controller and WD/sway setup and you'll be fine. No need for a bigger vehicle if you don't want one.
TexasA&M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 12:56 PM   #9

Thanks everyone for the comments!

Spoke with my Ford dealer and seems that V8s are rare these days! Let's hope they get their hands on one by May.

Happy New Year to all!

2011 Jayfeather 23K
2007 Ford Explorer - Eddie Bauer - V8
Husky Centreline Towing System

:Canada:
nathanchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 09:10 PM   #10

Hi nathanchev, I own a 23K jayfeather and I tow with a 2007 avalanche with a 5.3 v8 with tow package and trans cooler. The trailer feels lighter then the weight in the book, until you get to a hill, then you feel it. I think a ford v8 should be ok, just make sure the T V has a trans cooler on it, or price to have one put in, you will be glad you did. hope I could help. Happy camping!
dj'stoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 02:04 AM   #11

Thumbs up

Welcome, you're asking the right questions. You might want to study tow vehicles a bit more. You want an SUV but not a truck. The true SUV is a truck. The old full size Broncos, the current Expedition, both based on the F150 frame. (Ford discontinued the Excursion). Not sure about Tahoe, whether it's a 1500, but the Suburbans I believe come, or did come in 1500 or 2500 versions. Calling a vehicle based on a mid or small car concept an SUV doesn't make it one. It makes it an illusion. The engines will all pull the weight, but often at the expense of transmission damage. And to steal a phrase of another guy, whoa power is at least as important as go power. You get bigger brakes with the pickup based TVs. You also want to read a bit about what trailer brakes are and aren't. Wheel base and track width of a TV only become important when you get into trouble, say in an emergency maneuver. Read all you can on towing. I'd suggest you check out other RV sites if you haven't already. RV.Net is a good source. Having said all that, the Explorer is probably one of the best smaller tow vehicles you can find for your rig, in my opinion. Your tongue weight will be greater than stated by the manufacturer, so be sure you have an adequate hitch to handle the tongue weight. But do be sure to get a good weight distribution hitch and sway control system. I like Blue Ox Sway Pro but have gone to a ProPride. You won't know what your weights are until you have all your stuff inside, in the underneath storage, and out on the A frame. Read up on how to weigh your rig and determine your tongue weight (TW). Don't press the envelope and you'll avoid white knuckle trips and keep your family safe. You seem to be withing the range of an Explorer's capabilities but you might consider a Tahoe. I'm a Ford guy, but the Tahoe is a bit bigger and stronger than the Explorer but not as bulky as the Expedition, which I love, having had three and looking for a fourth. Finally, pay no attention to anything salesmen tell you, neither at car or trailer dealerships. For example, the guy who said V8s are disappearing. There's a lot to learn, and it's fun. I towed hay and horses for years but found RV towing quite different and still have a lot to learn.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 08:33 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanchev View Post
snip.......The V8 is rated for about 7300lbs and the trailer is 5900lbs (full)..........snip
Nathachev,

Welcome to the Jayco forums.

As you shop for a new TV keep in mind that the auto sales representative doesn't have the knowledge to insure that the TV he is selling you is a good match for your Jay Feather 23K, so you are correct in doing the do-diligence on your own ahead of time.

Also keep in mind most TV manufacturers neglect to tell you that the TV's specified towing capacity is a combination of everything inside the TV, including passengers, cargo, fuel, as well as the "loaded" weight of the TT. Another way to look at it is that any weight that is added to the TV's specified "curb" weight (stripped version with a 150lb driver) of the TV is subtracted from the TV's specified "tow" weight rating.

You may not be towing the 23K at it's GVWR (5,900lbs), but be mindful that you will most likely be closer to the TT's GVWR than the TT's UVW (4,445lbs) under moderate loading conditions.

The overall length of the Jay Feather 23K is 27ft., something to make note of.

IMO, I wouldn't want to tow anything heavier/larger than the 23K with a Explorer, but that's just me.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 12:15 PM   #13

I agree with Rustic Eagle I wouldnt want to tow anything heavier or larger with a Explorer. I have had two older TT 18' & 20' and towed with 1/2 ton short wheel base pickup and had no real problems. But even with a WD hitch with 1200 pound bars and sway control I had a bounce front to back not all the time but it was there and with a longer wheel base I havent had that problem with longer and heaver Trailer.
Old Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 05:16 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cekkk+ View Post
Welcome, you're asking the right questions. You might want to study tow vehicles a bit more. You want an SUV but not a truck. The true SUV is a truck. The old full size Broncos, the current Expedition, both based on the F150 frame. (Ford discontinued the Excursion). Not sure about Tahoe, whether it's a 1500, but the Suburbans I believe come, or did come in 1500 or 2500 versions. Calling a vehicle based on a mid or small car concept an SUV doesn't make it one. It makes it an illusion. The engines will all pull the weight, but often at the expense of transmission damage. And to steal a phrase of another guy, whoa power is at least as important as go power. You get bigger brakes with the pickup based TVs. You also want to read a bit about what trailer brakes are and aren't. Wheel base and track width of a TV only become important when you get into trouble, say in an emergency maneuver. Read all you can on towing. I'd suggest you check out other RV sites if you haven't already. RV.Net is a good source. Having said all that, the Explorer is probably one of the best smaller tow vehicles you can find for your rig, in my opinion. Your tongue weight will be greater than stated by the manufacturer, so be sure you have an adequate hitch to handle the tongue weight. But do be sure to get a good weight distribution hitch and sway control system. I like Blue Ox Sway Pro but have gone to a ProPride. You won't know what your weights are until you have all your stuff inside, in the underneath storage, and out on the A frame. Read up on how to weigh your rig and determine your tongue weight (TW). Don't press the envelope and you'll avoid white knuckle trips and keep your family safe. You seem to be withing the range of an Explorer's capabilities but you might consider a Tahoe. I'm a Ford guy, but the Tahoe is a bit bigger and stronger than the Explorer but not as bulky as the Expedition, which I love, having had three and looking for a fourth. Finally, pay no attention to anything salesmen tell you, neither at car or trailer dealerships. For example, the guy who said V8s are disappearing. There's a lot to learn, and it's fun. I towed hay and horses for years but found RV towing quite different and still have a lot to learn.
Well said, there is something to be said for overkill (there is no such thing when it comes to the saftey of your family) Have someone pull out in front of you and they will, you will wish you had a bigger tow vehicle!
Old 04-25-2011, 05:55 PM   #15

Hi nathenchev, While a V8 is the way to go you should get one with a tow package along with a V8. You get a lot more than a hitch a trans cooler that you can add yourself.Talk to a knowledgeable truck sales person , at your dealer of choice, about the complete package . Most car salesman can only tell you about the hitch, trans cooler and elect connector( they can't tell you if it's a 4 or 7 pin).A lot of packages incuded oil coolers, bigger radiators, larger alternators, load rated tires,& different rearend gear ratios. (the higher the numbed the better like 3.73-1 or 4.10-1). The info is at the dealership in one of the technical binders if thesalesperson knows where it is. just an fyi 19hf250
Old 04-25-2011, 06:15 PM   #16

The 06 to 10 Explorer/Mountaineer v8's come with the 6 speed transmission and 3.55's in the rear end. Its a very competent package. I always have plenty of pedal left.

:cool: 2013 F150 STX Super Cab With Factory Tow Package, Inegrated Trailer Brake Control, 5.0 Liter with 3.55 Gears and Posi Traction :cool:
villain2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:11 PM   #17

Came across this tread by doing a search. I recently purchased a 2012 JayFlight 26BH. My TV is a 2002 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4x4 with 4.6L and 3.73 rear end. I have a WDH and brake controller that were setup at the RV dealer. I feel that the truck is not enough for the trailer. But then again I have only towed a boat that was rated at 3000lbs (towed that like a dream). Now with this TT I feel like I can't keep up a 60 mph. Truck is going 2600 rpms at highway speeds. Is this normal? And when I hit a hill I can here the engine start to whisper "I think I can..I think I can...". LOL!

Heading to the Dells in 2 weeks so time will tell.
biester26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:46 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by biester26 View Post
I recently purchased a 2012 JayFlight 26BH. My TV is a 2002 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4x4 with 4.6L and 3.73 rear end. I have a WDH and brake controller that were setup at the RV dealer. Oh-oh already!
I feel that the truck is not enough for the trailer. Ya s'pose?

Now with this TT I feel like I can't keep up a 60 mph. Thank Goodness!

Truck is going 2600 rpms at highway speeds. Is this normal? Well Yeah!

And when I hit a hill I can here the engine start to whisper "I think I can..I think I can...". LOL! That ain't a whisper, that's a GASP!
:mickey:

Where's that thread? Got to see the replies! :big_grin:
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:42 PM   #19

I have towed thousands of miles with first an 02 and now with an 04 Ford Explorer, both V8s and both with the tow package. My trailer is not as heavy as the one you are looking at, but I doubt that you will have any problems. You do want to get the V8 with the tow package.

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2004 Ford Explorer V8 with the tow package
2010 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 132 - Nights Camping in My Z 102
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
Nights camping 133 - Nights camping in my Z 128
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
tlhdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 05:28 AM   #20

I pull a 2007 254 jay feather rated at around 4500lbs with an 07 Explorer Sport Trac. The TT is also 26' long. The Trac does just fine. It does have a very nice tow package which helps. We have towed from the coast to the blue ridge mountians and havent had a problem, even in the extreme heat we had on the east coast. Like everyone else says, make sure it has a good tow package.
roccoecu is offline   Reply With Quote