Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-23-2011, 05:00 PM   #1

Question Towing Question

My wife and I recently purchased a 2011 model 22-FB. We are new to TT camping, although back in the 70’s I had exposure to TT life as my family camped with a 24ft. My question may be one I should ask the dealer, but I thought I would post here to get some of your opinions. The 2011 model we purchased has 80 gallons of fresh water capacity, which is quite a bit of weight. I’m thinking placement of the water tank within the trailer will influence the handling on the road. What are your thoughts on towing with full water tanks in the trailer?
David472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 07:06 PM   #2
Site Team

There`s no question 640 lbs of water will change the way it tows somewhat and the tongue weight versus empty tanks. I have towed mine with a full tank before (53 gallons) but not very far. The tank on my TT is forward of the axles thus increasing an already heavy tongue on a half ton truck. So I noticed more squat. That much weight also limits the amount of stuff you can haul in the truck and trailer. Of course if you are boon docking or in a park with the water turned off as there are here this time of year, you must carry Some water in with you. Not sure when you would need the full 80 gallons unless it was an extended stay. It is my experience that most only travel with 5 to 10 gallons in the tank if they are going to a CG with water available. How your trailer handles with a full tank would also depend on what your tow vehicle is and its capabilities. Disclaimer- I really do not have much experience towing with a full load of water! Hope this helps-Lee
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 07:12 PM   #3

IMO 80 gallons times about 8 pounds per gallon is alot of weight to haul around. We usually camped on a site with water and elec but the very few times we had elec only we filled our tanks when we arrived. We did use an inline filter when hooking up or filling up. If you are boondocking it's a different story if you can't fill upon arrival.
wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:07 PM   #4

We travel with about 15 gallons in the tank unless we are boondocking. If we are boondocking we either run with a full tank or fill it close to the destination if possible.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:19 PM   #5
Site Team

I always travel with the fresh water tank empty and fill it when I get to my destination only when there's no city water hookup at the site. This has been SOP since our first RV in 1986.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:24 PM   #6

I will always travel with a full water tank since we are unable to drink city water (make us both sick). As a matter of fact just normal everyday driving I normally keep a 1 gallon jug in the truck full of drink water because of inability to drink city water. Also we'll do 99% of our camping out boondocks...

Strange enough my water tank is 50 gallons and the water heater is 6 gallons and both are at the very rear of the trailer. I mean right at the rear bumper. So this might create a light tongue weight so I'll load more towards the front...

Once spring gets here I'll get more scale time and information on this...
Mopar1973Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 10:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by David472 View Post
My wife and I recently purchased a 2011 model 22-FB. We are new to TT camping, although back in the 70’s I had exposure to TT life as my family camped with a 24ft. My question may be one I should ask the dealer, but I thought I would post here to get some of your opinions. The 2011 model we purchased has 80 gallons of fresh water capacity, which is quite a bit of weight. I’m thinking placement of the water tank within the trailer will influence the handling on the road. What are your thoughts on towing with full water tanks in the trailer?
Actually, Jayco's fresh water tank is really two tanks hooked together in order to fit into the frame better. With our MH we had a 100 gallon water tank, and ran it full most of the time. I learned the hard way once when the CG water system failed. In the scheme of things 600 lbs out of 9000 lbs. the trailer weighs isn't much. I have drained the MH tank out camping more than once.

Tom
altar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 06:51 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by altar1 View Post
Actually, Jayco's fresh water tank is really two tanks hooked together in order to fit into the frame better. With our MH we had a 100 gallon water tank, and ran it full most of the time. I learned the hard way once when the CG water system failed. In the scheme of things 600 lbs out of 9000 lbs. the trailer weighs isn't much. I have drained the MH tank out camping more than once.

Tom
But that trailer only weighs 4400 lbs empty so a 640 lb increase may be significant. I suppose the real question is does the OP have a marginal TV or a very capable one where the weights are involved. But of course if ya boondock ya gotta have some water......-Lee
Old 02-24-2011, 07:35 AM   #9

When I towed TTs, we only visited CGs that had water. And when we towed, 0 gallons of water in our TT's tank. If one doesn't need water, then one doesn't need to carry any water, and have its weight splash and flop around.

Also.... Remember that 1/3 to 2/3 tank of water is harder on brakes than a full tank of water. Especially on panic and down hill stops - when that 1/3 to 2/3 tank of water goes "gravity forces" forward. From a wear, tear about on brakes comparison view, its better to have less then 10% or more then 90% of water in the unbaffled tanks. Between 1/3 and 2/3 level of water is much harder to stop. Especially on panic stops - when that amount of water rushes forward. Sometimes, it isn't about static (gravity) weight of water. Its sometimes about "weight force" with unbaffled tanks as well...

If water isn't needed at our destination CGs, then our tanks are at 0%.

Something to keep in mind as well....

Spike99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 08:26 AM   #10

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
But that trailer only weighs 4400 lbs empty so a 640 lb increase may be significant. I suppose the real question is does the OP have a marginal TV or a very capable one where the weights are involved. But of course if ya boondock ya gotta have some water......-Lee
Our TV is a late 2007 Silverado 1500 with the 4.8L engine, HD suspension, trailer towing package and 3.42 axle. Mostly we will be towing in flat territory, maybe some small rolling hills. The elevation is about 1000 ft above sea level. Southern Ontario, Michigan and NY State region.
Some of the camping we will do is at parks with electric hook-up but no water or sewer. They typically have a remote dumping station, and I'm not sure about potable fresh water filling station. For this reason, I thought we would fill up water at home, plus that way, you know what you're drinking. Then I started thinking about the weight and sloshing effects.....hmmm.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:57 AM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by David472 View Post
Our TV is a late 2007 Silverado 1500 with the 4.8L engine, HD suspension, trailer towing package and 3.42 axle. Mostly we will be towing in flat territory, maybe some small rolling hills. The elevation is about 1000 ft above sea level. Southern Ontario, Michigan and NY State region.
Some of the camping we will do is at parks with electric hook-up but no water or sewer. They typically have a remote dumping station, and I'm not sure about potable fresh water filling station. For this reason, I thought we would fill up water at home, plus that way, you know what you're drinking. Then I started thinking about the weight and sloshing effects.....hmmm.

There are some State Parks here that have no water hookups at the site but have potable water spigots available in the park. What we do in that case would be to fill up the tank upon arrival, and bring our own drinking water. We always bring drinking water anyway, the DW won`t drink CG water. -Lee
Old 02-24-2011, 10:54 AM   #12

we are getting a 2011 23 fb which is the same layout as yours. i asked where the water tanks were in the trailer and the dealer said they are placed right over the axles.
max2bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 01:35 PM   #13

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by max2bob View Post
we are getting a 2011 23 fb which is the same layout as yours. i asked where the water tanks were in the trailer and the dealer said they are placed right over the axles.
Thanks - that would be a good location for the water tanks. I will check with the dealer here to see if our 22-FB has the same location.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:54 PM   #14

Welcome to the Jayco Owners FOrum David.... hope all your questions can be answered here.... post a pic when you can!
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 07:41 PM   #15

Be aware that fresh water siphons out of some Jayco TT fresh water tanks. We had a 2007 and a 2010 that lost water during towing due to wind blowing across the overflow hoses on the fresh water tanks. Our dealer fixed this problem under warranty.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:37 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Sam View Post
Be aware that fresh water siphons out of some Jayco TT fresh water tanks. We had a 2007 and a 2010 that lost water during towing due to wind blowing across the overflow hoses on the fresh water tanks. Our dealer fixed this problem under warranty.
Just curious. What did they do to fix the problem?

I was losing sometimes up to several gallons of water through the overflow due to sloshing of the water and/or tilting of the trailer just traveling from where I filled the tank to when I got it leveled in the campsite. I solved the problem by clamping the overflow hose with a pair of Lisle 23000 hose pinch-off pliers after I filled the tank. Then I remove the pliers once the trailer is set up.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:30 PM   #17

Most all trailers will loose a little water due to slosh. When you look at how much you loose compared to how much you carry is is a very small amount.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:04 AM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch View Post
Most all trailers will loose a little water due to slosh. When you look at how much you loose compared to how much you carry is is a very small amount.
That's true, but I was losing more than "a very small amount"- like a gallon or more. According to the Jayco brochure, our FWT holds 36 gallons and that's more than "a very small amount" in my opinion. In fact, there have been occasions where I lost so much water that after I parked, the guage would read 2/3 instead of full. The FWT is under our bed (See picture below). The entire tank is visible and I can easily view the amount of water it currently contains. When completely full, the water touches the top of the tank in places. I can also see where the water is in relation to the sensors inside the tank. There have been times when the water level was an inch or more below the top of the tank.

What aggravates the problem is an unlevel surface when you fill the tank. If the overflow tube is on the low side, You'll never get the tank to fill completely. Please note that my solution might not work if your overflow tube is loacted in an inaccessible or inconvenient location.

The Lisle 23000 Hose Pincher (see picture below) is effective in preventing precious water from escaping from the FWT when you're moving your RV. It retails for $10.95 and is an inexpensive solution to an annoying problem- and, no, I'm not associated with Lisle in any way. There are similar tools available from other manufacturers. It's just that this is what I bought... and it works. Please note that my solution might not work if your overvlow tube is in an inaccessible or inconvenient location.

Old 02-27-2011, 06:16 PM   #19

Plenty of good info from everyone. Thanks, it all helps.

I have confirmed that one park we have booked into, has no fill station. So either we take water in the FWT, or take our chances that we can fill there from a spigot meant for tenters. The question will be if the water hose will attach to the spigot. I think my plan will be to try towing there with water in the FWT, and I will take precautions agains siphoning out the vent.

This brings another question; if the water taken on board happens to be "hard" water, could there be issues with lime build-up. My guess would be the water heater would be most vulnerable, with only minimal impact on the rest of the plumbing. Here at home, our city has a lake water supply, so is very "soft" water.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:23 PM   #20

Bad water is the reason that lots of people use a plug with a rod attached to prevent electrolosis. Just be sure to flush the hot water tank when you get home.