Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-09-2016, 11:51 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by tee-bone View Post
Anyone skip the anti-sway and weight distribution bars for short trips? Most of our camping trips are only 2 to 3 hours away. Drove it to the RV shop without them and truck pulls it fine. Just curious......
FWIW, I found this Progressive Insurance report that says that "52 percent of reported crashes occurred five miles or less from home and a whopping 77 percent occurred fifteen miles or less from home."

It also found that 23% occurred within one mile of home.

cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 12:06 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by cekkk View Post
FWIW, I found this Progressive Insurance report that says that "52 percent of reported crashes occurred five miles or less from home and a whopping 77 percent occurred fifteen miles or less from home."

It also found that 23% occurred within one mile of home.
I think those sorts of statistics are generally misleading by themselves. What percentage of your driving is done within fifteen miles of home? I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's pretty close to 77% .

Old 08-09-2016, 12:25 PM   #53

My equalizer hitch shows up 1 day after I take delivery of my new TT later this week. That 8 mile trip from the dealer to my house is the only time I plan on towing without it and even that has me a bit nervous. Guess I'm just paranoid about having a problem on day 1.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 01:31 PM   #54

XTRUCKERBOB, most friction sway control manufacturers recommend you remove them before backing. I've never done it myself but I have seen others that have bent them because the backed too tightly towards the side it was on.
bwalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 01:40 PM   #55

When I picked up my 338RETS last week I asked about sway control. I had most of the parts of the WDH so I was wanting them to install a Reese Dual Cam HP set up. The Service Manager told me I didn't need sway control on that trailer.

Seriously! The trailer is 39' long and weighs 12,000 lbs loaded. I wasn't going to pull it off the lot without sway control. I finally convinced him to install it. Not to my surprise they installed in incorrectly and the end result is in the picture below. Both snap up brackets looked like that.

Needless to say I won't be going back to them for hitch work. I installed the new brackets myself.

Note to owners that use the Reese system pulling a Jayco with a coupler mounted to the bottom of the frame: Reese states that you have to put a 1/2" thread cutting screw through the front of the bracket and into the frame.
Attached Thumbnails
Bracket.jpg  
bwalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 01:55 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalton View Post
When I picked up my 338RETS last week I asked about sway control. I had most of the parts of the WDH so I was wanting them to install a Reese Dual Cam HP set up. The Service Manager told me I didn't need sway control on that trailer.

Seriously! The trailer is 39' long and weighs 12,000 lbs loaded. I wasn't going to pull it off the lot without sway control. I finally convinced him to install it. Not to my surprise they installed in incorrectly and the end result is in the picture below. Both snap up brackets looked like that.

Needless to say I won't be going back to them for hitch work. I installed the new brackets myself.

Note to owners that use the Reese system pulling a Jayco with a coupler mounted to the bottom of the frame: Reese states that you have to put a 1/2" thread cutting screw through the front of the bracket and into the frame.
samething happened to one of my brackets during a rather heavily loaded trip. (dual-cam hitch wasn't dialed in either). Did you replace your brackets with the heavy duty snap up brackets? This is what I now use.

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...ese/58392.html
tjpolsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 02:54 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalton View Post

Funny that you mention that - dealer set up our brand new Eagle 314BHDS with a Reese dual cam system. First trip out one of our flip ups snapped. Brought it back for a replacement. Second trip out the flip up broke again - this time I called Reese and they said the same as above - to put the 1/2" screw through the front of the bracket and into the frame. I printed and gave the instructions to the dealer - they looked at me like I had two heads - in no uncertain terms I told them they had to do it. No issues after that was done! I'm still not convinced my DC is dialed in correctly but I have no faith in the dealer's ability to set it up correctly. I'll be bringing the whole setup to another Reese shop to re-do the whole thing.
16Eagle314BHDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 02:56 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjpolsin View Post
samething happened to one of my brackets during a rather heavily loaded trip. (dual-cam hitch wasn't dialed in either). Did you replace your brackets with the heavy duty snap up brackets? This is what I now use.

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...ese/58392.html
Did you ever get the dual-cam dialed in correctly? And if yes how did you do it? I'm at a loss here brought the whole setup back to the dealer twice telling them I didn't think it was set right and they blew me off.
16Eagle314BHDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 03:27 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rootus View Post
I think those sorts of statistics are generally misleading by themselves. What percentage of your driving is done within fifteen miles of home? I'm goinbg to go out on a limb and say it's pretty close to 77% .
I did not quote the entire article. But you are correct. They did discuss percentage of trips within 50 miles, if I recall right, of home. And what percentage of accidents occurred at a longer distance from home. But the point Remains the Same. Most accidents occur close to home, and the OP described a very short trip. I think that's the whole point. Maybe I'm missing your point.
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 03:39 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16Eagle314BHDS View Post
Did you ever get the dual-cam dialed in correctly? And if yes how did you do it? I'm at a loss here brought the whole setup back to the dealer twice telling them I didn't think it was set right and they blew me off.
I did my own when switching to a different truck. I used the directions I downloaded from the Reese website. It wasn't really too hard, just a little time consuming as it required a couple of adjustments to dial it in right. I'm convinced the only way to do most things right is to do it yourself... but then, I"m an engineer and a perfectionist...

2015 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH
2010 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Z71
Reese Dual Cam HP
Tekonsha P3 controller
Gone campin is offline   Reply With Quote