Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-01-2016, 11:00 PM   #11

My thoughts are that if you need to "feel" like tent camping.... get a tent.

Old 10-02-2016, 03:30 PM   #12

I know many have commented on this but I will throw in my 2 cents. We went from a Jayco Popup which we LOVED to a travel trailer. There were only 2 things I didn't like about the tents in the pup that steered me away from a hybrid.

1 packing up in the rain. I always had to reopen the camper and make sure the tents were thoroughly dry pretty soon after we got home. I could do it in my garage. That probably is not possible for most people with a hybrid so if it Rams for several days it could be an issue. You have to be diligent about that if you want the tents to stay in good shape. The Popup was an 03 and the tents were still like new when I sold it last year. It is possible to keep them nice it's just extra work.

2 setup and tear down in general. It took time setting the tents up, putting in the braces,ect and the beds had to be fully made up every time sheets and all. With a TT we can have the beds made and ready before even leaving for the trip.

Jflyboym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 03:43 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebell619 View Post
Hey Forum!

I have been focused solely on researching the perfect travel trailer for our family of 4 (2 boys - 6 & 8), but have only been focused on Ultralight Travel Trailers (White Hawk, Jay Flight, Forest River Surveyor). I just spoke with a veteran RV camper who has owned it all, and she suggested I consider a hybrid for our first trailer. Her main "point" was that the kids will feel it to be more like tent camping because of the pop outs....

Erica
If you're ready to step up to a hardsided trailer, there is no reason not to go all the way unless your tow vehicle and weigh restrictions are an issue. That said, why go half way? For sure you will stay dry [did that in the popup] and warm [did that in the popup] in a hybrid but at the end of the day you will still be dealing with canvas and packing up wet when it rains. The kids will love the new trailer which will probably get them into bunks. Once you step up to a full hard side you will be glad you did. Pop ups are great and we loved our 10 years with them. Now on our 2 TT and love it.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 04:06 PM   #14

X2 Bassdogs. My kids (7 and 11) love the bunks. I really don't see a lot of hybrids around here. It seems like most go from a Popup to a full hard side TT. I guess because of the tent maintenance aspect of things.
Jflyboym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 05:48 PM   #15

No way I would pick a hybrid over our 26BH. Perfect for a family (we have a 4yo & 6yo) We love it!

2015 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH
2010 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Z71
Reese Dual Cam HP
Tekonsha P3 controller
Gone campin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 06:50 PM   #16

Having gone from a pop-up to a hard sided trailer I would say that I agree with everyone about it being a pain when it rains but my favorite part about not having a pop-up or hybrid is that the beds in a hard sided trailer are always made! When you have to pop out your beds you have to find a place to store your sleeping bags or sheets/blankets and pillows. When setting up you have to drag all that stuff out to make up the beds. We love that as soon as we have leveled the trailer and plugged it in (and hooked up hoses if needed) we are ready to go!
Old 10-02-2016, 08:03 PM   #17

In Yellowstone ( I don't know about other parks) some campgrounds are restricted to hard side only trailers. Might not be an issue, just some information.
LabMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 08:33 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone campin View Post
No way I would pick a hybrid over our 26BH. Perfect for a family (we have a 4yo & 6yo) We love it!

Same here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Coldfusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 08:52 PM   #19

[QUOTE=bankr63;454217]I'll vote for listening to your friend. We spent 8 years in a pup before graduating to our HTT. Absolutely no regrets. We camp all weather down to freezing, and have had no condensation issues, and keep plenty warm, or cool when it is hot. Canada throws all kinds of weather at us. We had one of the hottest Augusts on record, and camped right through it, not having to turn on the A/C once.

What I like about a hybrid is that in our 20' trailer, we get 20' of living space. In a traditional 20' trailer, you get 7-8' of bedroom, and 12-13' of living space. To get the same living space, I would need something longer than 25', and then I would probably also need a 3/4 ton pickup to haul it properly instead of our very comfortable full size SUV that delivers excellent fuel economy (for the class) when not towing.
QUOTE]

These are very good reason for hybrids over traditional TTs. As far as opening up the bunk ends to let them dry out, it's not a big deal. It literally takes me maybe 5 minutes to open them.....
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 09:43 PM   #20

I have a little different take on this. We have a 264BHW and love it, but if there had been or we would have known of hybrids, we might have gotten a TT sooner. We enjoyed tent camping all these years, but thought off and on of getting a pop up. Then the kids started getting older and we worried about having enough room. So if we were about 10-12 years back, we'd definitely be looking into a hybrid.

tdk2765 is offline   Reply With Quote