Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-24-2016, 08:44 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
Bounce is just part of the party folks. You can calm it down but you will never keep it from bouncing 100% until you build a foundation under it. Remember, you're in a box with a suspension and air filled tires. It's to be expected and is part of the RV life.
TWP is right, sway, bounce is not an option its included when you buy it. You can mitigate it to the point its not really noticeable except by those who have nothing to do.

We have very little bounce or sway, certainly within acceptable limits of anyone, even my engineer wife and I to am an engineer.

I will give you some tips and let you take it from there.

There are 8 (unless you have 3 wheel sets down) support points on most TT/5th rigs. Use them all. Generally I begin by getting my lateral and length levels by using my 2 front drop jacks. [note there are times when you must level first using your wheel sets, I find that is not often, most RV parks are near level that you do not need to put planks under the wheels]

Using the 2 front drop jacks to level out and move the lengthwise bubble ever so slightly off center so as you will compensate when you lower your rear stabilizer jacks. So the result is to center length level bubble is that you have to raise the rear of the rig....when you do this by lifting a couple of inches [you can tell by the sound of the motor slowing] you have stress the frame with an upward bow. Its not much, but its enough, the center is now stabilized by the wheel sets, the frame has some stress in it and if you are level in both directions you should have very little sway or bounce.

The frames are very rigid, if they were not, there would be cracking, leaking and a rolling disaster. By adding a bit of stress to your frame you take out some of the built in flex.

All my jacks etc are OEM, I don't use any gimmicks or something I bought on late night TV and not available in any store.
'17 Forrest River Cedar Creek Silverback RE
'17 F 350 CC, LB SRW King Ranch
'16 Jayco Eagle HT 27.5 RKDS GONE!
17 Oaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 09:04 AM   #42

As I mentioned, I used the X-Chocks on my last Hybrid and they worked fine with the stock jacks but with a little longer TT and wider/deeper slide I thing that it will wobble a little more. A slide support may not be a necessity but as long as it is located on a structural member, it won't hurt either
Callelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 09:07 AM   #43

17 Oaks....

I have not looked but do the frames on longer TT's in your opinion have a small pre-stress bow built in like a large truck trailer or aerial device?
Callelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 09:10 AM   #44

If a tad of movement is bothersome, I'd suggest spending a night on a 30' pleasure boat.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 09:55 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callelk View Post
17 Oaks....

I have not looked but do the frames on longer TT's in your opinion have a small pre-stress bow built in like a large truck trailer or aerial device?
To be honest I do know, having said that I do not think so for several reasons. The trucks have weight taken on and off, the weight varies and if they did not have they bow in them a set would sooner or later cause a downward bow.

Now it might be (and I would not doubt) that the raw frame has a bow in it when it arrives to be built out. My Jayco weighs about 8250 or so and it would make sense, to subtract the weight of the frame say 2000 lbs then have the mfg put a light upward bow to level it with the addition of 6000 lbs of sprung weight.

I do know from time to time I see a much older TT or even a 5th in an RV park or driving and it has a slight downward bow to it. Saw one recently that looked more like a banana than an RV.
'17 Forrest River Cedar Creek Silverback RE
'17 F 350 CC, LB SRW King Ranch
'16 Jayco Eagle HT 27.5 RKDS GONE!
17 Oaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 04:57 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintinfool3 View Post
the stabilizers are very minimal to stop bounce and movement because they are only on the 4 corners and leave the middle with the axles to move and bounce. I added 2 scissor jacks in front of the axles with adjustable bars attached from them to about 3 foot in front of them on the frame. I also made a tongue jackstand that stabilizes the tongue jack
You made these yourself? If not, where did you buy them?
dakejo77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 07:10 PM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

dakejo77,

Welcome to JOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakejo77 View Post
You made these yourself? If not, where did you buy them?
This is an old thread (2016) and member 'Paintinfool3' may not be following the thread...., you may want to send 'Paintinfool3' a private message with your question referencing this thread.

Also, here is a recent similar subject thread that may be helpful:

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...g-89941-2.html

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 02:47 PM   #48

This is the front, I have 2 more going across the back. We tried X-chocks, but it only helped a little. These take 95% of the wobble out. My favorite mod and the first thing I would do to any future trailer I have. .
Attached Thumbnails
1.jpg  

Tags
bounce wiggle jacks