Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-05-2014, 04:56 PM   #1

Trailer emergency disconnect cable / plug

Hello, another question for everyone. That little black box (emergency trailer brake system) on the trailer A frame with the cable / plug that connects to your tow vehicle which if pulled out will lock up your trailer brakes.... Is this plug supposed to stay in this switch when you disconnect your tow vehicle? I was told that it would drain my battery down when the trailer was disconnected from any power source because it draws power to the electric trailer brakes ? My new battery has been going completely dead within a few hours when dry camping ?
Thanks for any comments .... Sounds logical is it true ? Does everyone keep that plug in while parked ? Thanks
Old 08-05-2014, 04:59 PM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to jamaddox
Don't know about drawing power for that plug but if you have an lp tank then your lp detector will draw power all the time
Equalizer WDH with 10k bars
jamaddox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 05:05 PM   #3

Do you keep your trailer Em brake cable plugged in for the most part? I was told it was am emergency brake and not to be used as a parking brake. That it draws significant power?
Old 08-05-2014, 05:05 PM   #4

The plug should stay in its holder at all times unless the trailer breaks away from the TV during transit. The way the breakaway switch functions is as follows: inside the box is a set of contacts, one has 12V on it directly from the battery and the other contact is wired to the electric brakes. The rubber plug that inserts into the black box is basically a wedge that fits between the contacts holding them apart and preventing the flow of electricity. The cable attached to the plug is hooked to somewhere on the TV in such a manner that if the trailer comes uncoupled and the safety chains break it will yank the rubber plug out from between the set of contacts in the black box. The contacts close and 12v flows from the trailer battery to the brakes.
Old 08-05-2014, 05:07 PM   #5

I'm pretty sure the plug holds the switch open. There would be no current flow unless the plug is pulled which will energize the brakes. If your battery is being drained, I would check somewhere else. If you have a television antenna booster, check to see if it is on. Also, if you disconnect one battery cable and connect a 12 volt test light between the disconnected cable and the battery terminal, a closed circuit will cause the light to be on. If you turn off items one at a time, you should be able to find what the drain is. LW
el-dubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 05:16 PM   #6

I have been taking that cable/plug out when I park the trailer. The guy at the trailer place I bought it from told me too? The first time we went to a state park with no power..... The battery drained within 3 hours. It would charge bAck up with my honda generator , but then discharge sign very quickly. ( because I had that plug out I guess?). I have dunce put it in an hope my battery stays charged enough to stay let get me through when I can use the generator at the state parks. (5pm-7pm and 9am-11am).
Old 08-05-2014, 06:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppie View Post
I have been taking that cable/plug out when I park the trailer. The guy at the trailer place I bought it from told me too? The first time we went to a state park with no power..... The battery drained within 3 hours. It would charge bAck up with my honda generator , but then discharge sign very quickly. ( because I had that plug out I guess?). I have dunce put it in an hope my battery stays charged enough to stay let get me through when I can use the generator at the state parks. (5pm-7pm and 9am-11am).
On a side note, you might smoke your brake coils prematurely by running full battery voltage through them continuously.

Like many salesmen, I think yours was full of $#!+

As I stated above, leave the plug in the black box.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:42 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfarmall View Post
On a side note, you might smoke your brake coils prematurely by running full battery voltage through them continuously.

Like many salesmen, I think yours was full of $#!+

As I stated above, leave the plug in the black box.

X2

TV 2005 Ram 3500 CC LB SRW Cummins POWER
2014 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS Prodigy P3 brake controller.Reese dual cam 1400/14000
WVDusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 07:42 PM   #9

Thank you for the quick response. The plug will stay in the box all the time. Im surprised they don't warn folks about the electric brake control box and pl;ug in the owners manual...
Old 08-05-2014, 08:30 PM   #10

the plug should stay connected unless you are testing the breaks or need its activation. Just disconnect the cable from the TV is all that is required.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 10:29 PM   #11

If your battery is hooked up, and you take it out and leave it out, you will for sure burn your brakes up!
Old 08-05-2014, 10:36 PM   #12

When you pull it out of the box you activate the electric brakes and fairly quickly run down the battery. Leave it in place. But I guess that's pretty well settled.

Just to be very clear, are you sure the salesman was talking about that cable, and not the power cord that is plugged into your tow vehicle? You do want to disconnect that one while camping. I'd like to say no salesman would tell you to pull the emergency cable out, but, unfortunately, I can't. I wouldn't tell you to not to believe anything they say, but I'd sure suggest verifying any information they give you.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote