Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-13-2016, 08:24 AM   #1

Trailer GAWR - Axles vs Factory Sticker?

While doing some work under our TT recently I noticed that the sticker on each axle has the GAWR listed at 3,500lb, giving me a total of 7,000lb max weight. The factory sticker on the outside of the trailer shows 6,118lbs empty (including two full propane tanks) and says the weight of the cargo should never exceed 1,382lbs. That puts the GWR per the side sticker at 7,500lbs. Unless the 1,382lbs includes propane tanks? Even if it does, seems odd to me that the max weight allowed per the yellow sticker on the side of the trailer would exceed the max combined GAWR on the axles by 500lbs. Is there a different way to calculate the total GAWR other than just adding up the two axles? I know it's not a lot and we are light travelers (don't haul much water, empty holding tanks before traveling, just two of us, etc) but 500lbs is not a trivial amount either.
suzhou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 08:38 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I was always under the assumption that combined axle rating and combined tire rating should equal or exceed GVWR.
I also assume an engineering safety rating of +20% of advertised limits.
Maybe it's so close that they see it as within acceptable rating?
You could always call Jayco or axle supplier. If they are Dexter, they seem to be pretty easy to contact.

Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 08:53 AM   #3

They are Lippert axles. Will look online and see if I can find anything on them.
Old 11-13-2016, 08:54 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzhou View Post
snip... Even if it does, seems odd to me that the max weight allowed per the yellow sticker on the side of the trailer would exceed the max combined GAWR on the axles by 500lbs. Is there a different way to calculate the total GAWR other than just adding up the two axles? I know it's not a lot and we are light travelers (don't haul much water, empty holding tanks before traveling, just two of us, etc) but 500lbs is not a trivial amount either.
I don't know. Just a thought before my first cup of coffee....
Could be because the axles carry the weight of the trailer and all its contents EXCEPT for the weight of the tires, wheels, brakes, backing plates, and the axles themselves?
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 09:01 AM   #5

Interesting point. Four tires and all that goes with them plus the weight of the axles themselves would be quite a lot of weight. That said, seems they would factor that in to a weight rating sticker. I need to check the tires weight rating today.
Old 11-13-2016, 09:37 AM   #6

I am not an expert but I have been told the max the weight is based on the axle capability PLUS the weight on the hitch or tongue jack. That is where the get the extra 500. I have a 5th wheel and they allow a percentage (15-20%) of the max weight to be on the pin box. It was explained to me that they can add that weight in because no trailer would never be solely on the axles; it is either hooked to a TV or on some type of forward landing gear.

My rig is 13815 empty and I am allowed 2135 pounds of cargo totalling 15950. I have 2x 7000 pound axles and my pin (hitch) weight is about 2400.

Many of us have learned that insufficient factory tires are the week point, sometimes associated with trailer weight.

Good question though, hopefully someone can give us all a solid answer.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Old 11-13-2016, 10:59 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grawe View Post
I am not an expert but I have been told the max the weight is based on the axle capability PLUS the weight on the hitch or tongue jack. That is where the get the extra 500. I have a 5th wheel and they allow a percentage (15-20%) of the max weight to be on the pin box. It was explained to me that they can add that weight in because no trailer would never be solely on the axles; it is either hooked to a TV or on some type of forward landing gear.

My rig is 13815 empty and I am allowed 2135 pounds of cargo totalling 15950. I have 2x 7000 pound axles and my pin (hitch) weight is about 2400.

Many of us have learned that insufficient factory tires are the week point, sometimes associated with trailer weight.

Good question though, hopefully someone can give us all a solid answer.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Agree

OPs factory sticker shows a GVWR rating in excess of the GAWR because the axles don't carry the entire load. 10%-15% of the weight is carried by the tow vehicle via the hitch weight.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 11:10 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
Agree

OPs factory sticker shows a GVWR rating in excess of the GAWR because the axles don't carry the entire load. 10%-15% of the weight is carried by the tow vehicle via the hitch weight.
Yup. I shoulda had a cup of coffee before I typed...

And a 5th wheel carries an even greater percentage (25%?) on the pin so those weights probably have an even greater difference.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 11:15 AM   #9

Good point there. I have 800lbs of tongue weight that is not on the axles so factoring that in should put me well within the specs for the axles. Didn't think of that.
Old 11-13-2016, 01:50 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Got to love the resources on this forum. Not many questions stump the folks here. They are alwsys more than generous with their time and knowlege.

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 04:49 PM   #11
Site Team

IMO, I prefer to have excess load carrying capacity on the tires. I'm not going to overload them but they seem to hold up better with a higher LCC than what them come with.

For instance, my rig has 2 - 6k axles. It came with LR E tires which seem adequate but I still suffered tire failures until I changed them out for LR G tires.

Overkill? Maybe but I have not had a tire blowout in 3 years and my axles have a comfortable under load.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 05:12 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grawe View Post
I am not an expert but I have been told the max the weight is based on the axle capability PLUS the weight on the hitch or tongue jack. That is where the get the extra 500.
That is exactly right. I think its a terrible way to do it and leaves ZERO room for error, especially with tires that are usually minimal at best on new units.

That is one of the reasons I went with a JayFlight as opposed to the SLX models... substantially bigger axles and more allowable weight.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 05:14 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
IMO, I prefer to have excess load capacity on the tires.

Overkill? Maybe but I have not had a tire blowout in 3 years and my axles have a comfortable under load.
Fantastic idea. While I never had a problem with my old trailer, when it was time to replace tires, it only cost $10/tire more to go from load range C to range D tires. That gave me almost double the capacity that I needed. I agree that overloaded tires are likely the cause of many problems and failures.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote