Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-10-2013, 06:11 PM   #21

Always on while traveling, heck, it's on most the year with beer in it in my driveway

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:07 PM   #22

I always have mine on going down the road.... I don't think I have ever had the pilot blow out or the fridge be tripped from trying to relight when I got to the campground
Old 05-11-2013, 10:06 AM   #23

Run mine year around on 120v to keep adult beverages cool. Run it on propane on the road. My Norcold will not run on 12v
2010 Jayco JayFlight 26BH sold
Yamaha EF2000is Generators (2)
1996 Honda CB750 Nighthawk
Nighthawk 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 02:42 PM   #24
Site Team

I am sure that most states have the same rule/law regarding "Open
Flames" in fuel refueling stations. In Michigan (per their website) here is what they have to say about
it: See # 5

As for what is the definition of an "Open Flame", that may depend on what each state's definition is, the federal definition or the NFPA's (National Fire Protection Association) definition. Since the flame is on the outside of the RV, it is exposed to the outside elements (fumes).... your call. I run on electric.

[h=3]Self Service Stations[/h]Contact: Storage Tank Unit 517-335-7211
Agency: Environmental Quality

Self-service stations for dispensing of gasoline and diesel are regulated under the Michigan Underground Storage Tank Rules (MUSTR), 1999 AACS R 29.2101, et seq. adopting by reference, the Storage and Handling of Flammable and Combustible Liquids (FL/CL) Rules, 2000 AACS R 29.5101 et seq. Chapter 9 of Part 3 of the FL/CL Rules includes the following restrictions and requirements to assure that self-service station fueling operations minimize the risk of fire and explosion:

1) At least one attendant must be on duty while the station is open for business. The attendant's primary function shall be to supervise, observe, and control the dispensing of the liquids.

2) Operating instructions shall be conspicuously posted in the dispensing area.

3) One or more fire extinguishers with a 4-B:C rating must be located within 100 feet of each dispenser or storage tank fill opening.

4) Warning signs must be posted in the dispensing areas that provide the following information:
a) Warning - it is unlawful and dangerous to dispense gasoline into unapproved containers.
b) No smoking.
c) The person dispensing shall remain in attendance "outside" the vehicle and within view of the hose nozzle valve during the dispensing operation.
d) Stop motor.
5) No smoking or open flames are allowed within 25 feet of fueling area.
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 05:50 PM   #25
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk 96 View Post
Run mine year around on 120v to keep adult beverages cool. Run it on propane on the road. My Norcold will not run on 12v
Mine won't run without 12v when using gas.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 05:59 PM   #26

Re: Traveling with fridge running....

Ours runs on gas when traveling to keep food and drinks food during travel... have not had any issues so far...
Power247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:49 PM   #27

Turn the fridge on the night before traveling while plugged to 120. Load the unit with pre frozen items in the freezer and pre cooled stuff in the fridge part. Don't load with warm drinks. Always have ran with unit on gas mode. Modern rv fridges have electronic ignition so no pilots. Arrive at camp site and as soon as you connect to power, check to make sure the fridge switches over to electric.

Never had anyone question when fueling other than with a motorhome when we were filling onboard propane tanks.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:24 PM   #28

I have a 3 way fridge in my unit. While on 120V shore power the fridge ran fine on electricity. I hooked up my truck 7-pin and unplugged the shore power and heard the gas starting to light for propane use. Isn't it supposed to switch over to 12V automatically? Am I doing something incorrectly?
SkyBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:33 PM   #29

Re: Traveling with fridge running....

Probably depend on the fridge model. Have you tried turning off the gas to see if it will switch 12v?
Power247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:11 AM   #30

We run with the fridge on " auto", that way I don't have to remember to change to elec when we hookup at the cg. Larry
Old 07-08-2013, 09:18 AM   #31

From what I have read, the fridge requires 12v to operate the electronics, not the cooling process itself, on my Norcold. Our fridge is always on except when in long term storage. Any fridge or freezer works harder to stay cool if empty or lightly loaded. I've put jugs of water in home and trailer appliances for that reason.
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:45 AM   #32

I went outside and tested it again only to find it would switch from 120V to Propane even when 12V was plugged in. Upon further inspection and a browse through my owners manual, I have a 2 way fridge LOL. It's no big deal to me... The fridge uses so little LP that it's not really an issue, and I can hear the flame burning from outside the trailer so I know it's working when I walk around it. I also could foresee myself forgetting to disconnect the 7-pin during rest stops/overnight while hooked up and killing my truck battery!
SkyBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:37 PM   #33

We ran ours on our trip from Pittsburgh to Maine and did not have a problem with the pilot blowing out and we had some windy conditions that we traveled in. I thought about turning it off when fueling and read other post about it and I did not turn it off, it is on the other side of the trailer from where I was fueling and about 30 feet away. I read this in another post about being level and I did find the information in the Norcold manual and I may get these backwards, it is made to operate within 3 degrees of level from side to side and 6 degrees front to back or vice versa. Hope this helps.

Phil
2009 Eagle Super Lite 298RLS
2010 Toyota Tundra Double Cab SR5
Fil564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:18 AM   #34

I keep a couple of 1/2 gallon jugs of water frozen in the freezer and leave one in the freezer and put the other down in the fridge on days that we travel and turn the fridge off. We can travel all day with the unit off and keep the freezer and fridge cold and not have to worry about an open propane bottle.

2011 Jayflight X213
2011 GMC Sierra Crew Cab
fochman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:04 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwilley View Post
I have had many rigs in the past 30 some years and have run with the fridge on. No problems so far.
Ditto for many pop-ups, 3 fivers and a class C motorhome.
2006 Granite Ridge 2900GS
2015 Montana High Country 345RL
cdrcos@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:07 AM   #36

Confused?? When did Jayco offer a 3-way fridge in their TT's? I did some research and 3-ways do exist, but have never seen one as a standard or option in a Jayco. Are most of these posters just confused about the way an RV fridge works?

On auto they switch between elec [110 AC] and gas [requires 12V to power the brain]. No 12V no cooling unless plugged to shore power. No shore power, no cooling unless gas is open and 12V connected.

I always run with the fridge on [auto]. I turn on the fridge 24 hours before hitting the road and load it up with pre cooled and frozen stuff. Even prefreeze the ice trays in our deep freeze in the house. Don't over fill but the fridge will struggle if you load a bunch of warm cokes in the fridge and non frozen meat in the freezer. Any Norcold fridge installed in the last decade or more has an electronic igniter. If it blows out it will relight automaticly.

The law about open flames at filling stations is pretty routinely ignored [not saying its right] and since most stations are self serve, you're on your own. As to this practice being unsafe, I have never heard of an incident where an RV fridge ignited a gas station fire. Once when filling the propane on a motorhome while traveling in Alaska, the station attendant ask me to turn off the fridge. Propane routinely vents during the refill process and when the pressurized connection is removed. Do as you will, but I see no reason not to travel with the fridge running on gas. If concerned you can step inside and turn it off at the station before filling but you better set a reminder to turn it back on when your leave.

Now back to the 3-way confusion.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:26 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
Confused?? When did Jayco offer a 3-way fridge in their TT's? I did some research and 3-ways do exist, but have never seen one as a standard or option in a Jayco. Are most of these posters just confused about the way an RV fridge works?

On auto they switch between elec [110 AC] and gas [requires 12V to power the brain]. No 12V no cooling unless plugged to shore power. No shore power, no cooling unless gas is open and 12V connected.

I always run with the fridge on [auto]. I turn on the fridge 24 hours before hitting the road and load it up with pre cooled and frozen stuff. Even prefreeze the ice trays in our deep freeze in the house. Don't over fill but the fridge will struggle if you load a bunch of warm cokes in the fridge and non frozen meat in the freezer. Any Norcold fridge installed in the last decade or more has an electronic igniter. If it blows out it will relight automaticly.

The law about open flames at filling stations is pretty routinely ignored [not saying its right] and since most stations are self serve, you're on your own. As to this practice being unsafe, I have never heard of an incident where an RV fridge ignited a gas station fire. Once when filling the propane on a motorhome while traveling in Alaska, the station attendant ask me to turn off the fridge. Propane routinely vents during the refill process and when the pressurized connection is removed. Do as you will, but I see no reason not to travel with the fridge running on gas. If concerned you can step inside and turn it off at the station before filling but you better set a reminder to turn it back on when your leave.

Now back to the 3-way confusion.
My 184bh fridge has a 4 way switch.
- LP
- Battery
- Plug (shore power)
- Off

I've only ever used the fridge on shore power, but during my dealer walkaround, he showed me how to light the LP, as well as switch it to Battery (12v?) while towing to keep the fridge going during travel.
simonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:26 AM   #38

We travel with the refrigerator operating more often than not; never had a problem with the burner going out9Or any other issue) with either the fridge in our fifth wheel (Dometic RM2652) or our WhiteHawk (Norcold N611). I did observe Jayco recommends against this practice in the WhiteHawk owners' manual, but so far so good.
thomasmnile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:54 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasmnile View Post
I did observe JAYCO'S LAWYERS recommend against this practice in the WhiteHawk owners' manual, but so far so good.
Forgive the clarification. Am I alone in finding that operating instructions for everything are so loaded with Warnings of Imminent Death and lawyer/insurance company influence as to be misleading, inaccurate, incomplete and often useless?
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:17 AM   #40

You're not alone. In fact it is so overwhelming that most people don't ever read that part. Look at the beginning of just about any owners manual and there are multi pages of Warnings. They do it for liability reasons, so they can say we warned them. Just not practical to follow all of them. Make your own judgement on the fridge while running item, but they could save a lot of trees if they would just stick to the real dangerous stuff. For instance, don't pull the trailer with the slide out or the steps down. Things like that are pretty much unnecessary and those who would not do it only because they read it in the manual ought to be banned from RVs.