Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Closed Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 08:27 PM   #21

No it isn't. It's illegal to go through most other underwater tunnels with the tanks open. It's illegal to go through certain tunnels in Maryland, NYC, and Boston with propane tanks of any kind, open or closed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0550087 View Post
It's against the law to run down the road with propane tanks on.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Old 06-25-2017, 08:34 PM   #22

Sorry, but I think it's all crap! I have a residential fridge currently, so this subject doesn't currently apply to me. It did on my previous TT. My reasoning is thus...as a LEO, we regularly fill our police vehicles with gasoline while the car is running...this is done so that our radios and other equipment have power. Would you want a LEO to not be able to respond to your call because he was fueling his vehicle and shut down his equipment? To me and just my opinion, but fueling a vehicle with gasoline with the vehicle running is far more dangerous than leaving the propane running to fuel your fridge...just my opinion, but I traveled with my previous TT with the propane always on, which (again my opinion) is far safer than putting gasoline in a running vehicle...and I've been putting gasoline in a running vehicle for the last 18 years.
Old 06-25-2017, 08:41 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookemdanno View Post
Sorry, but I think it's all crap! I have a residential fridge currently, so this subject doesn't currently apply to me. It did on my previous TT. My reasoning is thus...as a LEO, we regularly fill our police vehicles with gasoline while the car is running...this is done so that our radios and other equipment have power. Would you want a LEO to not be able to respond to your call because he was fueling his vehicle and shut down his equipment? To me and just my opinion, but fueling a vehicle with gasoline with the vehicle running is far more dangerous than leaving the propane running to fuel your fridge...just my opinion, but I traveled with my previous TT with the propane always on, which (again my opinion) is far safer than putting gasoline in a running vehicle...and I've been putting gasoline in a running vehicle for the last 18 years.
It doesn't matter how you feel. In Canada it's illegal.

Do what you want, just understand the risks and rewards.
Old 06-25-2017, 08:43 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by cariboocreek View Post

I understand that it's illegal in Canada...but I bet your local LEO's don't shut down their vehicle's when fueling...and I bet it's also illegal in Canada!
Old 06-25-2017, 08:44 PM   #25

you are aware it's very difficult to get propane to explode, or even to catch fire except under very strict circumstances. Propane will only burn when mixed with air at about a 2 to 9% ratio....below that it will not ignite, higher it won't ignite. Perhaps Canada has laws prohibiting propane, but here in the States we have many GOVERNMENT vehicles that run on propane or natural gas..and they seem to be pretty legal doing so. I have my propane on from a few days before I leave home till a day or two after I get home, and I am gone about 6 months of the year.

As others have said, in an accident propane is the last thing I worry about, even myth busters found out you can hardly get a tank to explode no matter what you do to it. Unlike gasoline which, if spilt catches fire very easily.

This is only about the 7 thousand thread on this subject...

Old 06-25-2017, 08:49 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
you are aware it's very difficult to get propane to explode, or even to catch fire except under very strict circumstances. Propane will only burn when mixed with air at about a 2 to 9% ratio....below that it will not ignite, higher it won't ignite. Perhaps Canada has laws prohibiting propane, but here in the States we have many GOVERNMENT vehicles that run on propane or natural gas..and they seem to be pretty legal doing so. I have my propane on from a few days before I leave home till a day or two after I get home, and I am gone about 6 months of the year.

As others have said, in an accident propane is the last thing I worry about, even myth busters found out you can hardly get a tank to explode no matter what you do to it. Unlike gasoline which, if spilt catches fire very easily.

This is only about the 7 thousand thread on this subject...
Thousands of vehicles in Canada operate on propane. The requirements for the use of propane in a vehicle are different than the laws for transporting propane. While towing your camper you are transporting propane. I agree with everything you said, I am only responding to the question of legality.
Old 06-25-2017, 08:49 PM   #27

Then you are suggesting I stay away from the Canadian Maritimes in a couple of years, right?

Quote:

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Old 06-25-2017, 08:50 PM   #28

Quote:
I understand that it's illegal in Canada...but I bet your local LEO's don't shut down their vehicle's when fueling...and I bet it's also illegal in Canada!
Our local LEO's also don't shut down their vehicles when getting doughnuts.
Old 06-25-2017, 08:51 PM   #29

Quote:
Our local LEO's also don't shut down their vehicles when getting doughnuts.
Can't speak to that...I don't like doughnuts!
Old 06-25-2017, 08:51 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlee View Post
Then you are suggesting I stay away from the Canadian Maritimes in a couple of years, right?
Do what you want. It's of no concern to me. As I stated earlier I am only responding to the question of legality.
Old 06-25-2017, 09:23 PM   #31

I tow with the fridge running on propane. Never had an issue. Been towing for over 20 years and never had on issue with it
Old 06-26-2017, 12:59 AM   #32

Short answer, Yes I run with the propane on for my fridge, and sometimes the water heater, if it's cold outside I will run the furnace if I choose.

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Old 06-26-2017, 05:33 AM   #33
bap

Quote:
I guess West Coast LEO's aren't smart enough to know that all you need to do to have your equipment run is the key switch on , not the car running. Battery will run the equipment for the 3-4 minutes it takes to fuel your car.
Old 06-26-2017, 06:32 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by bap View Post
I guess West Coast LEO's aren't smart enough to know that all you need to do to have your equipment run is the key switch on , not the car running. Battery will run the equipment for the 3-4 minutes it takes to fuel your car.
Glad I'm not a West Coast LEO. But I do it the way I was trained...I've done it this way for 17 years.
Old 06-26-2017, 07:43 AM   #35
Site Team

Personal opinions accepted. Personal insults will stop this thread quickly.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Closed Thread