Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Closed Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 07:16 PM   #1

Trials of new Travel Trailer 264 BHW

Just out with new unit.

Bad: Entry door out of adjustment. Multiple cabinet doors out of adjustment. Missing shower stall installation buttons leaving lower edge of shower walls sticking way out. Multiple scratches on wood finish look paneling. Many staples sticking out in white paneling. Caulk over staples in white paneling smeared over paneling and not cleaned off. Missing paneling strip at one seam and seam wrinkled and very visible. Mirror installed crooked. Loose electrical box outlets. Screws holding wheel fenders rusted and rust running down black plastic fenders before unit was 2 weeks old; I replaced them with stainless steel ones I painted black. Both black and grey tank sensors already quit working. Mattress already has sunken areas after only 2 weeks. Equilizer hitch was installed incorrectly. IMAGINE, THIS AND MORE WITH ONLY BEING IN USE FOR ABOUT TWO WEEKS! When contacting Customer Service, they basically said: and what do you want from us? The tub surround people sent me more buttons and that is about all the satisfaction I received.

Good: Nothing new has shown up in more than 2 days !

Do you think this unit was made on a Monday morning or on a Friday afternoon?
Old 11-19-2015, 08:03 PM   #2

Did they not do a PDI. I would not of taken that one home in that condition.
Old 11-19-2015, 09:23 PM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
It isn't clear which customer service you contacted.
Seems like a poor PDI on delivery.
Make pictures of the defects and contact Jayco Customer Service. Be kind in your conversation with them. I'm sure Jayco will take note and correct the problems you have.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
Old 11-20-2015, 01:44 PM   #4

What kind of dealer would let that thing off their lot in that condition? Did you have any PDI at all? I have called Jayco CS at least three time, and they were very helpful, even though two of my problems were not related to warranty work. But one was, a line to the brakes was rubbing until brakes were not getting electrical connection. I had it fixed locally and then called Jayco. They sent a check for my unauthorized repair. So be polite as ALJO advised and I'll bet they'll get on the dealership for you.

Stories like this one, not typical but too many anyway, are one of the reasons we're not hot to buy a new trailer. Our closest dealer is about a hundred miles away, so not convenient for running back and forth to fix things I can't, which would be most of them.
'14 Denali XL
Old 11-20-2015, 02:07 PM   #5

While that is a long list and at least some of that should have been taken care by dealer prep long before delivery, in my experience with buying 3 Jayco's new in a 20 year period, this is typical. Good solid overall trailers made with good quality materials. Poor fit and finish. The folks on the line there are not detail oriented.
Old 11-20-2015, 02:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
Poor fit and finish. The folks on the line there are not detail oriented.
A while back I found a Jayco video showing actual construction work on the floor. I think it was from their marketing department, but to watch guys scurrying from unit to unit with a wham bam thank you ma'am approach, you'd have thought it was a hidden camera exposé from a competitor.
'14 Denali XL
Old 11-20-2015, 05:24 PM   #7

Most of these items you would never catch on a walk through inspection. Look at the list. All the items would not be noticed until actually used. I was VERY polite with CS, it was him who couldn't get me off the phone quick enough. It was like he had more important calls waiting. My intent for the call I told him was to bring it to their attention to prevent future problems for others. the rusty screws in the fenders is an easy fix as was all the paneling problems and electrical installations etc. My dealership is now 1200 miles away.
Old 11-20-2015, 07:03 PM   #8

"Bad: Entry door out of adjustment. Multiple cabinet doors out of adjustment. Missing shower stall installation buttons leaving lower edge of shower walls sticking way out. Multiple scratches on wood finish look paneling. Many staples sticking out in white paneling."

Maybe I don't understand the problems, but they'd appear to be visible in a cursory walk-through.

As for intent of call, not much the CS guy could do other than to say he'd pass the info on.

I hope all the "bad" is fixed and you have years of happy camping.
Old 11-20-2015, 11:19 PM   #9

[QUOTE=cekkk;356982]"Bad: Entry door out of adjustment. Multiple cabinet doors out of adjustment. Missing shower stall installation buttons leaving lower edge of shower walls sticking way out. Multiple scratches on wood finish look paneling. Many staples sticking out in white paneling."

Maybe I don't understand the problems, but they'd appear to be visible in a cursory walk-through.

X2
Old 11-25-2015, 02:10 PM   #10

Now the paint is peeling on the hot water heater cover door (not where it gets hot but on the bottom) and I found a siding scratch that was covered up with a paint pen.Sitting here and noticed the ding area window was installed crooked. AND YOU'RE GOING TO TELL ME I SHOULD HAVE FOUND ALL OF THIS DURING A PDI ??
Old 11-25-2015, 03:06 PM   #11
Site Team

You got a bad one. Regrettably it happens now and then. Hopefully after you get these issues resolved you can go camping and put it behind you.
Old 11-25-2015, 03:44 PM   #12

I'm a pretty observant guy but I don't agree that all of that would be noticed on a PDI. Yes, you would think it would. But we missed several small things on our PDI. Probably the excitement of the day, and even though we've had trailers before, it was all still a bit overwhelming. We did catch a couple of things. And some were things we didn't even look at during the PDI, like a piece of trim that goes inside a channel on the back end at the roof line that was cut too short. I didn't see that until the first time I washed it.
Old 11-28-2015, 07:53 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaann View Post
Now the paint is peeling on the hot water heater cover door (not where it gets hot but on the bottom) and I found a siding scratch that was covered up with a paint pen.Sitting here and noticed the ding area window was installed crooked. AND YOU'RE GOING TO TELL ME I SHOULD HAVE FOUND ALL OF THIS DURING A PDI ??
Uh, no, I'm not. But if you read the items I quoted, yes, they weren't hidden.
And it's not polite to shout.
'14 Denali XL
Old 12-01-2015, 08:34 AM   #14

Update - NEW ISSUE. Hot water heater qiut working. Local Jayco dealer was totally no help. They were even rude. Basically told me that "You didn't buy it here so get lost. Local Jayco dealer also sold other brands and told me quote " Jaycos are a piece of cr**. After hiring a mobile repair service and working with Customer Service at Atwood and the service dept. by phone at the dealer I bought it from, a total of 12 hours of labor and hundreds of dollars the CS suggested be replaced; we finally isolated it down to being a looped gas line installed at the factory under the hot water heater which was laying over a 2x2 board which holds the HW heater level. The weight of the HW heater was directly on the gas line eventually pinching the line in 2 places. LOTS OF LUCK TO ME OF EVER GETTING ANYTHING FROM JAYCO BECAUSE I DIDN'T TAKE IT TO THRIR LOCAL DEALER WHO TOLD ME TO GET IN LINE. Was anyone going to pay for a motel for weeks? Happy camping.
Old 12-01-2015, 09:26 AM   #15

Wow! Our 264BHW worked near perfectly for 32 days of camping this year. Only issues were water pump needed new clamp as would not pressurize (fixed by dealer quickly), black water tank meter wacky sometimes, and small crack in entry door from window to handle (put some clear automotive protective tape over this).

Larry J
2015 264BHW SLX
2007 Ram 1500 with brake control and Equalizer 1000
Old 12-01-2015, 10:31 AM   #16

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
You're shouting here! I'm sure if you do that with dealers you don't get much done.
Some times it is unfortunate you have to go to warranty claims. And yes some times work done at the factory can be poor for whatever reason there should be no excuse.
Because there is a high demand that's what happen to all manufactures.
What I recommend is to discus the problems calmly with Jayco and explain things in a proper manner. They have given good service to many here on the board and there are a lot happy campers here. Dealers are different from one to another. You choose a dealer far from your home so live with that. Maybe Jayco can do all the jobs at their plant service outlet. Believe me complaining never got any body far. Good luck with what ever choice you make.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
Old 12-01-2015, 10:48 AM   #17

Shouting, because i use all caps ?

Do you think because I use all caps I'm shouting.? I'm about the most polite person you could find. I didn't get to where I'm at today by being rude. Maybe by using all caps shows I'm not internet savy, just old. The only rude people involved in this is the people I've dealt with. Responders to my threads need to know who to accuse.
Old 12-01-2015, 11:18 AM   #18
Site Team

I think this thread has run its useful life. It will now be closed.

TV 2005 Ram 3500 CC LB SRW Cummins POWER
2014 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS Prodigy P3 brake controller.Reese dual cam 1400/14000
Closed Thread