Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-14-2015, 09:42 AM   #1

Trimming is coming off

So I have a 2014 Jayco 32RLDS.

Brought this home last March and have taken it on our 10th trip since we bought it. I don't feel we are abusing the trailer but so much is coming apart. We have the 2 doors under the table benches and one of them has completely come off. Looks like 1/4" staples are the only thing holding it together. Ok, I am sure the staple is longer, but only a 1/4" is sticking out from the door that is supposed to hold it into the seat frame. I have also noticed that the trimming around my slideout has also come off part of the way, probably about 3' from the base up is totally pulled out. This is happening in a few other areas as well where the trimming is just not holding up.

Of course the Window Frames have also come loose (maybe the chairs are rocking to much while I am driving?), but I have 3 blinds that have also come broken and we have to pull the blinds up and then make a make shift stopper for them to stay up during the day when we want the windows open to allow air and light.

A little disappointed and hoping this isn't just a normal thing for Jayco trailers.

Is anyone else having this happen? Would I be better off taking back into CW and having them fix these items or getting my own screw gun out and start fixing this trailer with some grips to it?

Thanks

2013 Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab TCD
2014 Jayco JayFlight 32RLDS
BroncoUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 09:57 AM   #2

It should still be under the 2-year warranty. With that many issues, I'd take it back. Make sure you have a complete list of problems so they can address them all in one trip.

My chairs have a strap to hold them steady during travel. Did your's not come equipped with them, or are you not using them? With them being all the way to the rear of a 32' trailer, they are going to move around quite a bit if they aren't strapped down - with the chair backs toward the front, so they can't beat against the window. (Love that rear picture window!!!)

I have the table and chairs option, so I don't have any storage beneath the dinette booth-type seats. But that should not be happening.

Also - is yours a fiberglass exterior, or do you have the aluminum siding. Mine is aluminum and I've had no problem with exterior trim. Maybe others can jump in here with their experiences.

Scoutr2 (Mike)
2015 Jay Flight 32RLDS Elite
2012 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab LTZ (6.6L Duramax/Allison)
Equalizer Hitch (1200# bars)
Scoutr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 10:13 AM   #3

Unfortunately Bronco, it seems to be common quality issues on many models. Welcome to the realities of production line work in today's business environment. We have a 2013 1206 Pup Up that we bought brand new in August in 2014 and have found similar minimal quality construction issues as well. Both bench seats fell in and since we were living in it during our house renovation at the time, I fixed them the way they should have been constructed in the first place instead of taking it back in for warranty work. I also have one storage area door that is coming off (staples) that will require attention. Right now it's in the dealership's repair shop for two other issues (heater and bent frame at the door opening)........and I just got a phone call from them that I'll be posting later.

If it's still under warranty, take it back and prepare yourself.

Jayco Jay Series 1206
Dodge Ram 1500, Hemi
Lifespalette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 10:15 AM   #4

Thanks Mike (Scoutr2). I have the fiberglass side and I haven't had any issues with the exterior trim, I should have mentioned that. Most of my trim problems are on the inside.

I do have the straps but I don't use them (guess I should, eh?) and I make sure the backs of the chairs are against the slide outs so I don't break that rear window (which is our favorite as well).

I will take some pics this weekend when I am camping again. Then I can document all the areas that are coming apart. I wasn't sure if that was covered under the warranty or if it was only the motorized and electrical issues. I ended up getting the 7 year warranty after watching my parents pay nearly $1000 to replace the motor in their slide out 2 months after the warranty went out...and only on their 4th use.

Old 07-14-2015, 10:21 AM   #5

That is exactly why I'm such advocate of having a good dealer and dealer relationship. I brought ours back from the dealer last week for some touch ups. Some I can do. Some I just don't know how. We have been impressed with the quality of work that the dealer performs.. We have real peace of mind!!!!
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 10:27 AM   #6

If you are talking about the simulated wood trim around the slideout, I had an issue on one side also. It was cut too long and the bottom was catching on the carpet as the slide was being extended, pulling the bottom of the trim inward, away from the slide. I fixed that myself by cutting off about 1/2" from the bottom with my Dremel oscillating saw. (Handy little tool, but expensive!) Then I just pounded the trim back into place. No problems since - except forgetting to stow my broom in the proper place last trip. It got wedged between the trim and the wall. Broke both the brrom handle and damaged the trim. I hate when stuff like that happens!!

Scoutr2 (Mike)
2015 Jay Flight 32RLDS Elite
2012 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab LTZ (6.6L Duramax/Allison)
Equalizer Hitch (1200# bars)
Scoutr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 10:30 AM   #7

Thanks Steve (Lifespalette). Sorry to hear about your issues. I guess i better take it in after this trip since I have about 4 weeks before my next trip... now that I hear you mention bent door frame, I am reminded that our door does not open and close easily. I have to open it from the inside half the time because my wife and kid (10) can't seem to open it. even closing it, feels like we are having to apply way to much pressure to keep it closed right. Guess I will add that to my list.