Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-31-2017, 01:48 PM   #1

Trip

We just returned from a long trip with our Jayco. It performed flawlessly! No flats, not hot hubs, no swaying in the wind! Just a great trip the way it oughta be. On our way to the Badlands of South Dakota we stayed the first night at an Illinois rest area and had a peaceful nights rest. Moving on we stayed the next night at a truck stop, stayed on the side away from trucks and all was well.The next night we were in the Badlands at Sage Creek campground, boondocking. No amenities except a picnic table,with our fully contained trailer and solar panels we had it made. Buffalo, coyotes and prairie dogs were in the camp. Next stop was Blue Bell campground in Custer State Park. This is an excellent campground with great hosts. From this base camp we toured all the sights including Mount Rushmore, Crazy Horse,Wind Cave, Devils Tower and much more. After this we moved on to Cheyenne Wyoming and camped at Curt Gowdy State Park, this is a beautiful park with water and electricity. No dump station but there is a free dump just down the road at the visitors center. We spent several days at the Cheyenne Frontier Days rodeo seeing all the sights. We moved on to Palo Duro Canyon State Park outside Amarillo Texas. This is a great park with water and electric sites. After touring this area we moved on to Timpson Texas and I visited an Old Army buddy I hadn't seen since discharge 47 years ago. We slowly worked our way back home staying in the RV area of truck stops when we need to stop. This little Jayco gave us all the comforts of home we needed, couldn't have been happier with it. We went 6,000 miles start to finish. The Toyota Tundra did great too, not a hill or a mountain too high or too tough for it as it happily drank all the gas it possibly could. It averaged about 9 for the trip.Sorry I didn't post pictures but they are still on the camera. We were out three weeks this time, might stay awhile next time! Just sayin.
Old 07-31-2017, 02:16 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racinforthefinish View Post
We just returned from a long trip with our Jayco. It performed flawlessly! No flats, not hot hubs, no swaying in the wind! Just a great trip the way it oughta be. On our way to the Badlands of South Dakota we stayed the first night at an Illinois rest area and had a peaceful nights rest. Moving on we stayed the next night at a truck stop, stayed on the side away from trucks and all was well.The next night we were in the Badlands at Sage Creek campground, boondocking. No amenities except a picnic table,with our fully contained trailer and solar panels we had it made. Buffalo, coyotes and prairie dogs were in the camp. Next stop was Blue Bell campground in Custer State Park. This is an excellent campground with great hosts. From this base camp we toured all the sights including Mount Rushmore, Crazy Horse,Wind Cave, Devils Tower and much more. After this we moved on to Cheyenne Wyoming and camped at Curt Gowdy State Park, this is a beautiful park with water and electricity. No dump station but there is a free dump just down the road at the visitors center. We spent several days at the Cheyenne Frontier Days rodeo seeing all the sights. We moved on to Palo Duro State Park outside Amarillo Texas. This is a great park with water and electric sites. After touring this area we moved on to Timpson Texas and I visited an Old Army buddy I hadn't seen since discharge 47 years ago. We slowly worked our way back home staying in the RV area of truck stops when we need to stop. This little Jayco gave us all the comforts of home we needed, couldn't have been happier with it. The Toyota Tundra did great too, not a hill or a mountain too high or too tough for it as it happily drank all the gas it possibly could. It averaged about 9 for the trip.Sorry I didn't post pictures but they are still on the camera. We were out three weeks this time, might stay awhile next time! Just sayin.
Planning that same trip through the Badlands of SD to Rushmore myself for 2018. No set date yet but route and campgrounds all set. I can't wait for you to post any pictures.

JHerzog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 02:19 PM   #3

Thanks for sharing your trip and for noting that your Jayco performed flawlessly. We should all make note when we go on an extended trip on how our respective RV works.
jkaras7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 03:15 PM   #4

Sounds like an amazing trip. Something that will be on my radar once I fully retire 5 years from now! Thanks for sharing...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 06:13 AM   #5

Sounds like it was a superb trip. And thinks for noting the places you stayed at. I may try them next year when we plan on going out there. We do, however, plan on adding Yellowstone to the list, and maybe Utah.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 06:45 AM   #6

Racin, your post put a smile on my face. Thanks for posting!

The bride and I have been planning a similar trip for the last couple of years, waiting on my retirement. That arrived a little early this past October so planning jumped into high gear. We're looking at 4500-ish miles for the 5th and probably another 1000 with just us driving around looking at stuff.
We leave near the end of August and plan to return home early October. This will be our longest time on the road to date, a touch over 6 weeks.
Some of the high spots are: KC, Rushmore, Yellowstone/Tetons, Colorado Springs, Grants NM, Marfa TX and several other minor stops.

Part of the prep has been my doing the maintenance (brakes, bearings, rubber...). Love reading trip reports that are "drama free".

Last week the bride announced that this trip is too far in the future so we're going to Galveston for a long weekend next week.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 03:54 PM   #7

The DW is very jealous. It's a trip she would like to do. Maybe someday!!
Old 08-01-2017, 04:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nOZ View Post
The DW is very jealous. It's a trip she would like to do. Maybe someday!!
thanks for the post my wife and I want to see Mt Rushmore next summer, now I really will be looking forward to it.
turbo130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 06:58 PM   #9

Appreciate hearing you are pulling with a Tundra. We pull about 7,500 lbs with a Tundra 5.7. Hoping for any input from those with experience; we are planning a similar trip next year and plan to reach the Pacific Northwest. Always like to know of any potential difficulties we might anticipate with steep grades.
Skeeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 09:06 AM   #10

Sounds like an awesome trip maybe someday, i also tow with a tundra 5.7 trailer weight fully loaded about 6500 tows like a dream, you do know the TT is there but the tundra doesn't care, uphills not a problem i use tow/haul mode i use to tow with a tacoma v6 with tow package what a difference with the tundra!
mikem56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 02:25 PM   #11

Nice report on another successful trip. You hit several places on our bucket list and like others that replied, we are close to retirement and looking forward to seeing America.
ekonkjack is offline   Reply With Quote