Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-07-2013, 11:25 AM   #1

TT Storage

DW had one stipulation when we picked out our 26BH: It can't live in our driveway. So I'm looking around town for a decent place to store it.

So far, I've found uncovered outdoor storage for around $40/month (for some reason nobody in town offers outdoor covered) and indoor storage for around $100/month. Is this about what people are paying? I've also seen people on Craig's list willing to go much cheaper (rent out space in their barn, etc), but it wouldn't be fenced in, monitored, etc. so I'm not sure I want to go that route.

For those of you who can't keep your TT on your own property, where are you storing it?

I'm also wondering if it is worth the money to keep it indoors. I had a 1997 Coleman pop-up that I had to get rid of because the ABS roof was falling apart after being kept outside for a couple of years. Dealer assured me the roofs are made much better now days and as long as I get up there and seal it every year I should have no trouble keeping it outdoors, even through the Iowa winter months. Does everyone agree with that?

Any other comments/suggestions related to RV storage in general?

Thanks,
Dan
lagman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:01 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I found an indoor secure area with alarm, cold storage on Craigslist. It's a factory that closed and owner is renting space.
My previous owner kept TT outside, he put a heavy duty tarp over roof that came down side about 18".
It seemed to put another layer of protection and bungys on sides allowed air flow under it.
I pay $60/month for cold storage. You can get it in and out, but not regularly. Park it and leave it.

When I checked normal commercial storage, they don't build their units tall enough to fit with the A/C unit.
They did have outdoor coverage.

You can also have a metal covered area built on your property that is pretty nice for about $2500 for maybe 12' x 24'

Here's my storage area. I will keep it there in the winter and do the tarp outside in the summer. I mow for my nephew in the summer
for a free parking spot on his commercial property.

[ATTACH][/ATTACH]

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:16 PM   #3

I wish I could keep mine in our driveway or on our property but unfortunately we do not have enough room. So we store ours in the summer in my parents driveway and winter in my parents neighbors back yard. You plan on moving in about 2 yrs and space to park our TT will be a requirement in our property search.

2013 White Hawk 28 DSBH
2011 Jay Feather X23J (traded-in)
2011 Ford F-150 XLT w/towing package
RoadMaster Active Suspension
Reese Trunnion Bar WDH w/Dual Cam sway control
jdorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:27 PM   #4

We have outdoor uncovered, granted I'm in California so Winter weather isn't much of an issue but we have strong summer sun. This is a secondary fenced area within a secure mini-storage facility. We don't have 24hrs acess, but there is access 7 days a week 7a-6p winer 6a-8p summer. We pay $35/mth on a Month to Month basis.

I like the idea of indoor storage, but there are lots of elements of the indoor storage here that I didn't like. 1) Price -- For our 26BH Indoor is $100 mth 12 month lease or $125 Month to Month. 2) You drop it off/PU in an outdoor staging area and they park and retrieve it for you. Customer's can see from the office window the interior of the facility but you don't have access to go to you TT while parked inside -- they site safety and security concerns. 3) The require 24hr notice of Pick-Up/Return of you TT -- although not a hug issue becasue we typcially plan our trips more that 24hrs in advance I don't like someone telling me when I can and can't get my property on a moments notice.

So in my mind TT are designed to be outside; the additional rules and cost made inside not worth it to me at this time. What does a new roof cost if a dealer does it $2500-$3500? -- I'm saving over $1000 a year storing outside. If I keep it long enough to need a new roof, and that comes a few years sooner because I'm storing outside I'll still be ahead of the game.

Lastly, the indoor storage where I live doesn't offer any other perks -- No electricty, No wash station, No dump station, No water filling, etc. Now if when I called 24hrs before PU they connected the battery & Plugged it in to charge, then provided a place to dump tanks when I return ther would certain change the value proposition. I have heard of other storage facilities that offer these types of features/service in the rate.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:16 PM   #5

$100/mo. for indoor storage is a bargain! I was paying $95/mo. for a paved parking spot for my fifth wheel, now paying $186/mo for a covered spot under what amounts to a giant carport for RV's and boats. Don't misunderstand, it's a great storage facility, fully paved with asphalt and concrete, well lit, and very secure with an 8' barbed wire topped fence, infrared perimeter motion sensing, and video cameras.

A fully enclosed RV storage facility (with 24/7 on site security) opened up a few miles down the road from us. It STARTS at 600/mo !!! Must be why most of the units there are Prevosts and other high end DP's..........I reckon if they have a toy like that, they aren't much worried about storage charges...........
thomasmnile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:52 PM   #6

I am in Iowa and I store mine for $30 per month outdoors uncovered. When I looked last summer, indoor covered storage was around $100 per month or more. I know some people do store in barns for less than $100 per month, but I also hear of problems with mice much more than the indoor spaces in town and you can't always get to your trailer when you want to as others have to be moved first.
Old 03-07-2013, 03:36 PM   #7

The norm at outdoor storange here in Carson City is X$$$ for up to so many feet and $1 per foot over that. Prices are close but all over.
Check with the owner/manager and make sure ther has been none or very few problems. I woukld not go with the barn idea as it is a b__h to get in and out and MICE are going to live in your unit all winter.
Mine is outdoor
tshirtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:47 PM   #8

I pay 1.75L of whiskey per year for my storage spot....

It's outdoors on a concrete pad at my uncles farm. I could put it in a barn, but then I would have to deal with the mice.
Frontier83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:48 PM   #9

Lagman, what is up with that anyway, my wife says the same thing. I hate to admit it but I think she knows that when the trailer comes home from storage I will be spending more time in it and she will never get anything done atound the house

L
firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter View Post
Lagman, what is up with that anyway, my wife says the same thing. I hate to admit it but I think she knows that when the trailer comes home from storage I will be spending more time in it and she will never get anything done atound the house
Yeah that probably has something to do with it. Actually I think there may be something in our homeowner's association policy that says no RVs but a neighbor a few houses down had a 5'er AND a TT parked in his driveway all summer long last year so I doubt it is enforced. Too bad because our driveway is an extra 12 feet wider than our garage so I'm sure we could park it there and easily get both cars in and out of the garage with no problems. I wanted to build a car port for it but the wife voted that down.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:25 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlindsay001 View Post
I am in Iowa and I store mine for $30 per month outdoors uncovered. When I looked last summer, indoor covered storage was around $100 per month or more. I know some people do store in barns for less than $100 per month, but I also hear of problems with mice much more than the indoor spaces in town and you can't always get to your trailer when you want to as others have to be moved first.
Where in Iowa? Here in Cedar Rapids the cheapest I've found is a U-Haul lot for $40/mo.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:37 PM   #12

I have no off street parking for our HTT. Last year we were going to get a storage spot. But never did. It parked on the city street whenever we were home. For the winter I park it in the same barn my parents have used for 10 years. This winter cost me $60 to May 31st (that was not per month). Parents have never had a mouse issue, so hopefully we will not either. The dealer we purchased our TT from has outdoor storage available ($50/mth). You have to give then 24 hr notice. They pull it out. You are not allowed into the lot. Has to be picked up and dropped off during normal business hours. They have 24 hours onsite security guard on duty. They stated if we call up to pull it out, they will turn on the frig, to get it cooling. If they happen to see a flat tire they will fix it, and so forth. But no dump station.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:47 PM   #13

I cannot keep my TT at the house. I would have liked covered stroage space but they are hard to get and a litte more costly here in San Antonio. I found an outside storage space in a good location just outside San Antonio in Cibol, Tx. I have access 7 days a week from 6:00 am to 10:00 pm. It has a really good security system and the owner lives on site. Also being here in Texas, the storage lot owner is well armed and ready to handle intruders, misfits and vandals. I pay $40. a month and am quite happy with my choice.
2013 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
CMSgt USAF (Ret)
"GO BLUE". University of Michigan
Explorer03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:30 PM   #14

We pay $400 per year for outdoor fenced storage at our dealership... Seems like a bargain to us. But I have heard quite a few people say they arrange storage in a barn.. And they are very happy with that.

Lady Wendolyn Jayflight 28BHS

For a tour of my glamorous, cool camper, and an "Ad a bifold door Mod: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventures.blogspot.ca

For these Mods: Master bedroom shelving in closets and countertop extension: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...es-camper.html

For this Mod: Adding a wall light switch to the master bedroom:
https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...ht-switch.html
Ladywendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:38 AM   #15

I pay $600/yr to store in a locked barn with other boats and rv's. I have 24 hour access, have never had a rodent problem, and don't have to move anything to get to my unit. I couldn't be happier and my Jayco looks like brand new.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:44 AM   #16

Lagman, I don't store mine in the the driveway during the winter months because I can't get the snowblower between the house and the trailer. Driveway is not wide enough. If is was I would be in it all winter also. HAHAHAHAHA. this year we are going to try going seasonal for a year, so the neighbours should be happy they will be able to see up the street.

L
firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:16 AM   #17

Like many here, we are unable to store our 17Z at the house. We are from SWPA and just over the boarder in Ohio is an old Sam's Club building that the made a state of the art storage facility and it's heated. I can't remember what they charge per foot, but I think it's just a little over $300 for the winter months.

I keep my sports car in there during the winter as well. The come out looking like the day I put them away. We are so fortunate to have a place like this near us.

2012 Jayco Super Lite 308 RETS
2014 Georgetown 328TSF
2013 Jeep Rubicon w/Mods
308rets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:41 PM   #18

The average price for us around here is about $50.00 a month so I ended up buying a house instead to store it...lol
Old 03-08-2013, 10:00 PM   #19

We kept our pop-up in the yard, and our next 2 TT's at a storage facility for the winter months. When we bought our current TT we decided to spend the money to have our driveway widened so we could keep her at our home all year long. Great idea, now I can do the mods I want whn I want, we have a guest house for visitors and we can take all the time we need to load up for our next trip.I figure 5 years of TT storage at our house will pay for the driveway expansion.
usmc616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:17 PM   #20

We store our popup at at county fair building about a hour away. It cost me $125 for October to April, so it is indoors for the winter. Then we would store the rest of the year in the driveway. Our new Skylark will not fit in under a overhang on the house. So we will need find a place close to home. It like it will cost us $50 to 60 month.
Biker crd is offline   Reply With Quote