Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-13-2017, 09:39 PM   #1

TT trip in excessive heat TT trip in HOT temps

Just a Q for you guys.
Planning a trip from LA to Tahoe this sat w a stop off in lone pine to break up journey. It's going to be 105, but the guy at campgrond stop says it's like 112 there.

Q. Do I
A. Leave very early to beat the heat on the TV
(They won't let me check in super early-so noon- so I can't leave ridiculously early) pull in n let the TT air con get pressured.....or
B. Leave mid-day n let the TV slog up n down hills so when we get there just bf sun-down the temps have dipped slightly.

Either way it's a stop off pull thru in the desert-I won't unhook n leave very AM to get to cooler Tahoe temps.

I only ask as I'm a bit underpowered. A 2012 Nissan Titan(just serviced it n told them my plans) towing a 2013 23mbh, 5500lbs>---6000+ w all our stuff tho most in truck bed.
I know 6 of 1 n half dozen of another, but tax the truck or the TT air con, that is the question.
doonkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 09:42 PM   #2

The truck will be fine.
The trailer AC will struggle either way.
Vaquero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 08:15 AM   #3

Take it easy and watch your tranny temps. Stop at rest areas and let engine idle while you take potty break. I would open the roof vents and a couple of windows [just a few inches] near the front of the TT. Yes you will be venting with 100+ temp air but it will prevent the TT from becoming super heated inside. If you can park for the nite in a shaded area. If not possible let the fantastic fan run in exhaust mode for about 15 minutes as you cycle on the AC. Take a hike or just walk around the CG for about 45 minutes and let the AC do its job. Remember to close the roof vent after the first 15 minutes.

You didn't say what AC unit you have but if it is sized correctly for your TT you should be fine.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 09:06 AM   #4

I would leave early, time it so you can pull in when they will allow you to check in. As soon as you are in the space leveled side to side, I would turn on the AC, before doing anything else.

Next, I would recommend washing down your TV's radiator. Most of the time I just use the garden hose with multifunction hose end sprayer turned to jet or full, and it will not harm the radiator. I have used the power wash sprayer, and it does a great job, HOWEVER, if you get to close it will bend over the fins and cause poor cooling as you drive, so be careful. I had never cleaned my radiator, and going across SD a few years back, my temps were a bit high, my windshield was getting very dirty, and I wondered if the windshield look horrible and I clean it regularly what the radiator looked like. I washed it with a power wash, at our first major destination, and the mud just rolled off of it. After that the truck ran a lot cooler, so now I clean the radiator once in a while if temps are going to be near 100 degrees.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 09:14 AM   #5

105* might be excessive heat for you, but there are many folks (and vehicles) that live in this environment all the time. Vehicles are well designed to manage these temps, even towing if you are comfortably within the limits of the TV.

As was mentioned, RV AC struggle in 100*+ heat.

I would caution that you monitor CG voltage. If its truly that hot, all RV will be running their ACs constantly and that could put a real strain on the electrical system. You do not want you TT pulling excessive current due to voltage drop, it will damage electronics.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 09:18 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
I would leave early, time it so you can pull in when they will allow you to check in. As soon as you are in the space leveled side to side, I would turn on the AC, before doing anything else.

Next, I would recommend washing down your TV's radiator. Most of the time I just use the garden hose with multifunction hose end sprayer turned to jet or full, and it will not harm the radiator. I have used the power wash sprayer, and it does a great job, HOWEVER, if you get to close it will bend over the fins and cause poor cooling as you drive, so be careful. I had never cleaned my radiator, and going across SD a few years back, my temps were a bit high, my windshield was getting very dirty, and I wondered if the windshield look horrible and I clean it regularly what the radiator looked like. I washed it with a power wash, at our first major destination, and the mud just rolled off of it. After that the truck ran a lot cooler, so now I clean the radiator once in a while if temps are going to be near 100 degrees.
+1 to getting that AC going ASAP. We routinely travel when it's HOT outside, and that's become my routine. I get plugged in and get that AC running literally first thing. LOVE the advice to get the fan running to circulate some of the hot air out, I think I'll start doing that.

Also +1 to washing out the radiator. Last year we were headed somewhere during the "snout-nosed" butterfly migration. What a MESS. Truck windshield was trashed, front of trailer was trashed. Once I got to where we were going, I hooked up my utility hose (everyone carries a non-potable hose for chores around the camp, right?) and washed all the butterflies out of my radiator.

Personally on your timing plan, I would do what's best for the truck. I would try to get the difficult driving out of the way in the coolest part of the day. It will be easier on the truck, and all the tires as well. Concrete and blacktop can get HOT in those kinds of temps, and heat kills tires. Get plugged in ASAP and start getting that trailer cooled down.

That's just my pair o' pennies.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 09:47 AM   #7

I'd leave early...
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 09:57 AM   #8

In those temps I would leave as early as possible to beat the heat and make it easier on the TV. Then call the CG when close and see if your site is vacant and you can check in, if not pull over and enjoy the views of the Tahoe area until you can.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 07:47 AM   #9

Got a 2007 Nisan Titan CC pulling a 2017 23bhm and just did the I-40 west from NM back to NorCal through 105*+ heat, some elevation and wind.

Leave as early as possible and just take your time.

The truck did fine except for a bump in the road where we lost our transmission cooler hose (too steep a grade, 105* @ 8:30am and too heavy a foot on the grade). Had it repaired in Needles and back in the road in a couple days (happened on Sunday morning). Truck is good to go again.

Our TT A/C had trouble getting cold but it got the job done, just took awhile for the interior to get comfortable.

After the repair we just took our time and didn't push the truck too hard in the desert with headwinds to boot. Since you're heading up the 395 just take your time and enjoy the ride.
NCMFFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 12:11 PM   #10

Has anyone tried to apply (temporarily) some sort of reflective or radiant barrier to the to of their trailer? I was thinking about cutting a piece of radiant foil (think silvery bubble wrap) to fit the roof without covering the A/C or any of the vents, etc. This would only be put in place while parked and I would probably secure it with some sort of weight vs taping it down as I don't expect a lot of wind.

In theory, this seems like a really good idea to cut down solar heat when camping in the middle of a sunny place and the temps are routinely over 100 degrees. Has anyone tried it? Or is there a theory as to why I wouldn't try this?
Equal i zer 10k w/sway control
Wife, Kid, Entlebucher
EV4D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 12:45 PM   #11

I'd suggest a different approach: Find where the heat enters the trailer. An inexpensive digital, not-contact thermometer (aka laser thermometer) will help you find out if the roof is really the source of the heat.

In our case, we found that the windows (tinted and the inside blinds closed) and the top of the slideout were where the majority of our heat came from.

We had a topper added and that took care of the heat from the slideout roof.

For the windows, we shaded the OUTSIDE of the windows. That stopped the heating of the tinted glass and heating the inside shades. The heat from the dark glass and the blinds is radiating INTO THE TRAILER! Note: As a test, we used Disney character towels hung on a rope and the g-kids really liked it!

We also used pieces of the cheap, reflective windshield sun shades cut to fit the inside of our two skylights. We have white Maxxair covers over our ceiling vents and didn't find a heat problem from them.

Before our next warm season of camping, we're going to try shade cloth, too. It cuts the suns heating, but wind and water can pass though it.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 02:00 PM   #12

We're thinking of adding tint film to our windows. Apparently, the tint that comes embedded in the glass isn't great at blocking heat, but the films you can add can block more heat. We've been tinting the windows at our S&B home, and it's actually pretty easy, so we thought we might give it a go in the trailer.

Anyone try that? Success or failure?

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 03:25 PM   #13

I get covering the windows - totally basic stuff. I am trying to declare all out war on 110 degree heat and believe that if I cover the roof of the trailer with something reflective it should make a big impact on the amount of heat absorbed by the trailer. Sounds like nobody has tried this yet so I will let you know what I learn from the process....
Equal i zer 10k w/sway control
Wife, Kid, Entlebucher
EV4D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 05:04 PM   #14

I'd leave early...

Take breaks often to cool things down if you have too

Enjoy the scenery early when you get there, even if you can't disconnect

Turn on the AC as soon as you hook up, then go away for an hour.

Lots of great tips above
A2Z_Adventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 07:38 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by EV4D View Post
I get covering the windows - totally basic stuff. I am trying to declare all out war on 110 degree heat and believe that if I cover the roof of the trailer with something reflective it should make a big impact on the amount of heat absorbed by the trailer. Sounds like nobody has tried this yet so I will let you know what I learn from the process....
Please keep us informed. As you said, it seems nobody has tried this yet.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote