Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-26-2017, 09:35 AM   #1

Turning my attention to generators.....

My new 26BH has the 15,000 btu A/C. I've been doing homework and reading through threads on here and I think I've reached a decision.

I have one Yamaha EF2000is that I was using for my pop-up. I was going to order a Yamaha EF4500ise which would run everything, but the price made me reconsider that option.

Since I already have one EF2000, I'm thinking that for around a third of the price I should just order another EF2000 and order the parallel kit. The two EF2000's in tandem should run the A/C, which I wouldn't be using that much anyway since the primary use for this TT will be in cooler/cold weather. There will be times when it is used in warm weather, but it won't be that often.

I think this set-up should be sufficient. Don't you agree?
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 10:15 AM   #2

I agree...
I have two Honda EU2000i generators. For me, ninety per cent of the time, one is all that is required. It is so much easier to hook up lighter unit than one heavy one. Remember, one 4000 watt unit weighs a lot! No fun to pack it all over and not not really need the wattage.

As for me, one generator can be used with my 15,000 BTU A/C in a pinch.
2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD
John7349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 10:22 AM   #3

I also have the 15K on my 25BH and have a slightly similar situation.

We have a Yamaha 3000is from our old camper. That had the smaller AC and I was a bit concerned if it could drive the new unit or would we be better off going with a larger 4K vs a pair of 2K. I figured I might as well test it with what we had. It does run everything (not at the same time) just fine off the 3K. From what I was reading I knew we would be boarderline OK and it would come down to if the high capacity cap was in the AC as I had been reading that they have.

For us we are going to stick with what we have. The benefit to a set of 2K units is like this weekend, it is cool enough we won't use AC so a smaller gen will be easier on the gas for limited work. Then add a 2nd when you need heavy use like on the 4th of July. For us we didn't have to buy a new unit for now and it will run in eco mode for our light work this weekend which helps on the fuel front. Having to go up to a 4K would mean a thirsty generator this time of year.
Old 05-26-2017, 10:28 AM   #4

I agree that getting the second and the parallel kit is the way to go. Primarily because I value flexibility very highly, and the two smaller units offer the most flexibility.

We tend to camp when it's hot, so we run the AC all the time. I picked up a Champion open-cage genny on sale at Tractor Supply last year so that we'd have it if we need it on our long road trips. I use it for lots of other stuff too, so it's a good item to have. I know it's not quiet like the inverter ones, but we only use it with the trailer in a pinch or when we're a LONG way from anyone. I didn't buy it to use it in a campground (too noisy), but I would if I absolutely had to.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 10:38 AM   #5
Lost in the Woods

I'll second 2X2000 watt generators being easier to pack and transport than a 3000 or 4000 watt generator. The 4500 gen you are looking at might have a slightly longer run time due to a larger gas tank, but few other advantages. You can get kits to provide extended fuel for the 2000 watt generators if that is a concern.

Our Honda 2000i's connect together with a simple plug in wire and tightening a ground screw on each. The 4000 peak watt capabilities runs our 15000BTU air conditioner without any problems, but the breaker will trip if I try to use the water heater, microwave or other high draw item at the same time so I just shut off the a/c while running microwave etc. If I just need to top up the TT batteries in a State Park, one gen is plenty to run the battery charger.
Ottawasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 11:44 AM   #6

Sounds like I'm making the right choice. I'm kind of glad because it'll free up money for a few other items that I need/want. I want them, but I keep telling my wife that I need them. Thinks like......

Furrion Wireless Observation Camera
Portable Macerator Pump
TireMinder TM55c-B
30 amp extension cord
Battery disconnect switch

This stuff can add up quickly.
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 02:31 PM   #7

I would agree that looking into the aux tanks is worth it. My father in law has the pair or 2k Hondas and even if just running one, that means he can run it pretty much all weekend. It is also easier to refuel the aux tank.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Old 05-27-2017, 05:43 PM   #8

I have two Yamaha's like yours and the parallel kit. Works fine for my 15K a/c
These generators are easy to move and since you already have one, this is the way to go.
2010 Jayco JayFlight 26BH sold
Yamaha EF2000is Generators (2)
1996 Honda CB750 Nighthawk
Nighthawk 96 is offline   Reply With Quote