Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-18-2017, 10:51 AM   #1

TV antenna reception

I am just finishing up our 2nd year with a travel trailer and am amazed at how many things I have had to learn....pretty humbling actually. We rarely use our television but the other day it was rainy and my kids were getting after each other a bit so I figured we'd see what was on as a bit of a break. We were camping locally so I roughly knew where the towers are, pointed the antenna at it and turned on the booster. We were able to get 6-7 stations, with NBC being the major network. CBS has a tower on the same mountain top but for some reason I was not able to get it, no matter what I tried. Any thoughts about why? I tried when I got home just because it was bugging me but same result. It is listed on my phone app as a free digital channel and in the same location.
flintsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 03:43 PM   #2

Have you tried turning the antenna? I don't know if digital signals work The same way as an analog
Fr8Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 05:28 PM   #3

Did you have the tv do a search? Digital tv needs to find channels that it can receive and then you just go through them. Failing to do that means you get minimal channels, if any.
ifallsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 06:50 PM   #4

I did the channel search and that is how I was able to get the handful of channels I got. How precise do I need to be with the positioning of the antenna? I assume that with the towers so close that if I'm getting 1 channel then I'd get the other.
flintsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 07:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by flintsters View Post
How precise do I need to be with the positioning of the antenna? I assume that with the towers so close that if I'm getting 1 channel then I'd get the other.
At times very precise.

Not necessarily true, digital signals are not all the same.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 09:59 PM   #6

The closer you are to the tower, the more precise you need to be.
Old 09-19-2017, 11:50 AM   #7

In my experience, not all stations broadcast their network programming. We always seem to get the secondary channels and only one or two of the main network channels. We recently camped near Nashville and we were able to clearly get 20 stations only two were a primary network station
Old 09-19-2017, 12:10 PM   #8

I just learned about this thing yesterday by reading a thread on this forum. Learn something new every day! It may be worthwhile, and it's not that expensive.

https://www.amazon.com/Winegard-RV-W.../dp/B001U2DPUE
Old 09-19-2017, 01:18 PM   #9

On my last MH, I bought and used the Wingman referenced above and it does improve reception of digital signals. It is very easy to install with no tools required.

2016 Greyhawk 29MV

Wherever you go, there you are!
LI-Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 01:26 PM   #10

Something else to consider is to make sure you're aiming your antenna the right way. My antenna was 90 degrees off from the arrow on the crank inside. I kept aiming that little arrow at my towers and wasn't getting anything. I use OTA at home, (cut the "cable" long ago) so I'm VERY well aware of where my towers are. I walked out and looked at the antenna itself and discovered it was pointing the wrong way! Turns out that little arrow is only for lining up when you lower the antenna.

I've since replaced with a King Jack, and the new head is in line with the little arrow.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 01:36 PM   #11

Which part of the antenna should be pointing towards the signal? The front of the antenna as it lays when it is down and stowed?
Old 09-19-2017, 03:42 PM   #12

It should be turned 90 degrees to the signal (broadside) to maximize the signal. If you are pointing an end, you are minimizing the signal you are receiving, giving you weak or no signal to view.

When in the park position (down), it is parallel to the side of the camper to minimize air resistance. Also make sure you are extending the antenna all the way up prior to turning it. And every time you change location, you will have to reaim and rescan.

You probably need to pick up one of these:
KING Surelock Digital TV Signal Finder - KING SL1000 - Antenna Accessories - Camping World

It will make it easier to find the strongest signals.
Old 09-19-2017, 03:50 PM   #13

Consider wiring one of these into your antenna system. You can locate the most powerful signals even before turning on your television. You don't need to know in advance where the towers are, just turn your antenna until you get the best reading on the meter.

Then, turn on the television and do a channel search.
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 04:53 PM   #14

I put a mark on the antenna’s aiming ring with a felt marker 90 degrees off of the arrow to help with aiming. I also use the website TVFool. I put in where we’re going to camp, and it tells me which direction the transmitters are and which channels to expect, and their signal strength. I print it out and bring it with us, and once set up, I use the compass app on my phone to aim the antenna.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 24FBS
Winnipeg, Manitoba
North of 49° is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 05:00 PM   #15

And make sure the signal booster is on.
Vaquero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 05:27 PM   #16

I shut off the TV signal boast button by accident where the TV plugged in. Works great now.
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 05:28 PM   #17

Hey thanks for the TV fool website!
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 07:47 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by North of 49° View Post
I put a mark on the antenna’s aiming ring with a felt marker 90 degrees off of the arrow to help with aiming. I also use the website TVFool. I put in where we’re going to camp, and it tells me which direction the transmitters are and which channels to expect, and their signal strength. I print it out and bring it with us, and once set up, I use the compass app on my phone to aim the antenna.
I did the same thing with the marker. But now it confuses DW, so I need to get them off there.

I use Antennaweb.org and the compass in my phone to find my channels. Next time out I will give tvfool a try.

Also +1 to the antenna direction; the long edge of the standard "wing" antenna head needs to be perpendicular to your tower bearing. That was a little counter-intuitive at first for me because the antenna I use on my house "points" at the antenna tower long ways. But it also has several "wings" of varying lengths along its long axis.

On our replacement King Jack head, I did not replace the booster. The new head didn't come with one, and I don't recall seeing mention of that in the instructions. I can't imagine why you would need to replace the booster though, it's pretty simple.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 09:46 AM   #19

DW doesn't know and doesn't care about such things, just as long as she has at least one watchable channel while camping. So it's up to me to do it -- happy wife, happy life.

TVFool was introduced to me via another RV forum, and I've been using it ever since. For example, here's the plot for one of our favorite campgrounds, Hecla/Grindstone Provincial Park:

TV Fool

It shows that the only channel available is Channel 8 analog, with the transmitter a few degrees south of due west, which matches our experience. The channel comes in very snowy, but still watchable. Since the campground is out in the boonies, that's to be expected. What I like about TVFool is that the map is clickable, so you can zoom in and drag the pointer right to your exact campsite. I use 12' for the antenna height; I've never measured it, but it's probably close enough.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 24FBS
Winnipeg, Manitoba
North of 49° is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 01:03 PM   #20
Site Team

I had one and was not happy with it. Took it off. Make sure you have clearence where it lays on the roof.

Too directional for my taste.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote