Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-22-2011, 05:10 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by eredinger View Post
I know some others are using a 1/2 ton TV to pull the 26BH, but how can you not go over your max payload?

Do the numbers seem right? I'm looking at 3/4 trucks now.

Any advice is welcome!
You just made me realize an unexpected benefit of camping at State Parks and other established CGs. I can bring waaaay less stuff with me. The items you list as being detrimental to your weight are things I don't carry along. My camper may come in at 5,500 lbs when fully loaded but my TV is pretty much empty save for the three of us. My towing experience has been pretty good considering the size of the camper. Best of luck to you.
3Pillons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 08:45 AM   #42

Something I just realized... You can't figure the entire hitch weight into your equation because you are using a WDH, that's the point of it. It takes some of your hitch weight and spreads it out so you really aren't putting the entire amount on your rear end. I noticed that you have the 20" rims on the Ram, the 20's take away some of your towing capacity. You might try using some LT tires like you suggested before you go and buy a new TV. Again, good luck.
Old 06-22-2011, 01:47 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Pillons View Post
Something I just realized... You can't figure the entire hitch weight into your equation because you are using a WDH, that's the point of it. It takes some of your hitch weight and spreads it out so you really aren't putting the entire amount on your rear end...
You sure about that? Even if you distribute weight from rear to front, it all still counts against your GVWR. The GVWR isn't dependent on where the load is applied when being applied to the GVWR (although where the load is will affect handling). The WDH mostly is to prevent the hitch from levering weight off the front end, destroying its ability to keep the rig pointed the way you want it to. To maintain control of your TV, you need a certain ratio of front to rear weight and the TV has to be level (to avoid disrupting caster) so a certain amount of weight will be needed to be shifted to the front to maintain that ratio but it still counts against your GVWR, including the cargo capacity.
Old 06-22-2011, 02:26 PM   #44

3Pillons makes a good point about 20" rims.
That tire size with the typical 35 series profile, are junk. They will only carry half the load of 70 or 75 series tire on a 17 inch rim, with a load range E rating. Seems to me, most of the handling problem is tires and rims. Also, don't buy aluminum rims, buy steel ones.
Old 06-22-2011, 02:41 PM   #45
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by David472 View Post
3Pillons makes a good point about 20" rims.
That tire size with the typical 35 series profile, are junk. They will only carry half the load of 70 or 75 series tire on a 17 inch rim, with a load range E rating. Seems to me, most of the handling problem is tires and rims. Also, don't buy aluminum rims, buy steel ones.
I agree that the 20" rims and tires are more for sporty good looks then carrying weight.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 04:52 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
You sure about that? Even if you distribute weight from rear to front, it all still counts against your GVWR. The GVWR isn't dependent on where the load is applied when being applied to the GVWR (although where the load is will affect handling).
True, but some of the weight is transferred back onto the trailer axles. So not all of the tongue weight is on the TV. You still need to figured it all into the GCVW (truck and trailer combined), but the tongue weight will be less to affect the GVWR of the TV itself.

But don't trust me, I'm a cop, not an engineer.:hihi:
Old 06-23-2011, 10:01 PM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by eredinger View Post
snip.........Do the numbers seem right? I'm looking at 3/4 trucks now. Any advice is welcome!
I would do what you planned on doing in the first place, go to a CAT scale any weigh your loaded TV/TT so that you can make any major financial decisions based on "facts", not assumptions. The STICKY in the "Towing and Tow Vehicles" forum will walk you through the process.

The 20" P-rated tires have already been addressed.

Post your CAT scale results and we can help you walk through the numbers.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:44 PM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Pillons View Post
True, but some of the weight is transferred back onto the trailer axles. So not all of the tongue weight is on the TV. You still need to figured it all into the GCVW (truck and trailer combined), but the tongue weight will be less to affect the GVWR of the TV itself......snip
The actual "full" loaded tongue weight of a TT remains on the TV's hitch "ball" even with the WDH spring bars engaged. Before the spring bars are engaged there is a percentage (depends on distance from TV rear axle to ball) of the loaded tongue "leveraged" to the TV's rear axle..., plus the weight removed from the TV's front axle is also transferred back to the TV's rear axle. The WDH doesn't distrubute the weight that was placed on the hitch "ball", it's still there.

The job of the WDH is to remove weight from the TV's rear axle and distribute it to the TV front axle and TT axles. The distribution process will ideally put back (return) the same amount of weight to the TV's front axle that was removed in the first place. The WDH will also distribute some weight (small amount) back to the TT axles as well.

The full loaded TT tongue weight should be considered part of the TV's payload capacity, which should fall within it's GVWR. When considering the TV/TT loaded combined weights, including WDH distribution effects, than the TV's GCWR comes into play.

Hope this makes a little sense

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 10:18 AM   #49
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
I would do what you planned on doing in the first place, go to a CAT scale any weigh your loaded TV/TT so that you can make any major financial decisions based on "facts", not assumptions. The STICKY in the "Towing and Tow Vehicles" forum will walk you through the process.

The 20" P-rated tires have already been addressed.

Post your CAT scale results and we can help you walk through the numbers.

Bob
I agree Bob, there are lots of folks towing the 26BH with half tons. This combo still may work well with some tweaking and knowing exact weights would be a real plus to see if payload is being exceeded or not, along with the other weights.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 10:25 PM   #50

Resolution!!

Well...not exactly a resolution to the sensation I was feeling when towing the 26BH, but a resolution none the less.
I called my dealer and discussed all the issues with the weights and struggle towing and they offered me a refund on the 26BH. I was so happy with the dealer that we picked up a 17z hybrid (the trailer we originally went to look at before being sold the 26BH). The dealer felt some responsibility for selling me a trailer that I could not use as intended due to my TV. It helped I mentioned "My attorney" a few times. :hihi:

So in the end I have a TT that has just as much space as the 26BH, but weighs 2,000 lbs less.

So see you all over in the Hybrid forums!!!
Old 07-04-2011, 09:51 AM   #51

All is well, that ends well.
Often, the first choice is the best choice. The main thing is to have fun camping, and getting to the CG safely.