Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-28-2014, 04:58 AM   #1

TV Mount

I would like to mount a TV in the bedroom of my 328 RLTS. The decal that says "mount TV here" is not in the center of the wall. Is this just the result of somebody being in a hurry and placing the sticker off center, or is this "exactly" where I should place the mount? I hate to make holes in the trailer and certainly want them right the first time.
Bigiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 05:13 AM   #2

Never trust the label! Always use a stud finder to locate the exact location and perimeter of the mounting backer. When I mounted a television in the bedroom of my Eagle, I marked the holes for the mounting plate about 3/4" below the top of the label and drilled the top two holes, only to find out I'd missed the backer. Got out the stud finder and discovered the label was a good 2" too high. Fortunately, the mounting plate covered the two "phantom" holes. If you don't have one, you can pick up a stud finder for $8 or $9 at any of the big box hardware stores. If you go with the $12 model, it can also detect electrical wires. Not a bad thing to know, especially when looking for the tv mounting backer. There are wires/cables for the tv in that location, as well.
Old 06-28-2014, 05:41 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownie View Post
Never trust the label!
X2

I only ever found one stud in the bedroom, and it was at least 2" to the right of the label. The wall behind the sticker is thicker than the other walls (feels like 1/2" plywood), but IMO not thick enough to securely hold a lag bolt so I went with toggle bolts - a much bigger hole than I wanted to put in the wall, but I know the TV isn't going anywhere.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 06:39 AM   #4

This is great advice. I do have a stud finder and will take my time. I second the toggle bolts. I agree that I don't like the larger holes, but once it's there, it's there.
Bigiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 04:05 AM   #5

I called Jayco Service to get plans for exact location of stud. Mounted TV bracket with no problem. As mentioned, don't trust sticker location.
michigancampermcsmrs is offline   Reply With Quote