Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-16-2017, 07:07 PM   #1

TV mount screw size

I just got my first TT, 32BHDS, and I am going to mount a TV on the swivel stand in the main space, but the back side of it has a mirror and I am concerned about using too long of a screw to hitting the mirror or too short of a screw and not securing the mount. I searched the Jayco site and there is no customer support contact info, and I did not see anything on this site yet. Can anyone give me direction on how think the mounting board is there?
Kslush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 07:31 PM   #2

TV mount screw size

On mine I was able to turn the swivel 90 degrees and I believe on the bottom side see the edge of the board in question to measure the thickness. Its not very thick on mine.

I ended up using many shallow screws and liquid nails to mount a backer board to the unit and put the mount on that. Used this mount and positioned it so the table top base of the tv also sits on the swivel cabinet, makes it have more stability and easy to remove and take to an alternate location. Good luck! https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00HJ...cRL&ref=plSrch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ProPride 3P

jsallman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 06:24 PM   #3

It amazes me that there is almost no nformation on this. I'm in the same boat with the same TT. I want to mount a tv but have no idea on the thickness of the board on that swivel. Hopefully someone has done this before and can offer some advice.
Jepitsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 06:49 PM   #4

Agreed.
bsponsler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:38 PM   #5

I think around 5/8". I took mine out and installed a solid wall in place of the swivel tv mount, then put a tv on each side where kids could watch a movie and I could watch History or Discovery on DTV.

Link to mod here:

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...e-30052-5.html

Post 49 I think is that mod.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 06:37 PM   #6

I mounted my TV over the weekend using 3/4" screws. They went in tight without affecting the mirror. Hopefully this helps someone else.
Jepitsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 07:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsallman1 View Post
On mine I was able to turn the swivel 90 degrees and I believe on the bottom side see the edge of the board in question to measure the thickness. Its not very thick on mine.

I ended up using many shallow screws and liquid nails to mount a backer board to the unit and put the mount on that. Used this mount and positioned it so the table top base of the tv also sits on the swivel cabinet, makes it have more stability and easy to remove and take to an alternate location. Good luck! https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00HJ...cRL&ref=plSrch

X2. I'm in the middle of this mod and I'm taking the exact same approach. Backer board, then mount.

As for the mount itself, I noticed in several online videos that Jayco started installing articulating mounts in this spot on 2017 Jay Flight 32TSBHs and a few other coaches. The mount they use has heavy magnets to stow the TV securely for travel (which made me want one), so I contacted Jayco to order one. It's part # 0269903, BRACKET, TV, 200MM X 200MM, STANDARD SINGLE SWING ARM WITH 2 MAGNET. I'm attaching a picture as well.

I like how large the mounting plate is, as well as the number of screw points. It should distribute weight well, which is probably why Jayco uses it in their Lazy Susan of a TV cabinet. It also has a slim profile and doesn't make the TV sit prouder of the cabinet than the fixed mount it's replacing. Before you ask, it was about $75 with delivery, not cheap. But it's well built and will solve my problem...I will actually be able to see the TV from the couch.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0163.JPG  
Our White Hawk photo album
Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 07:16 PM   #8

Thanks, I'll be mounting mine on Friday.
Old 04-24-2017, 08:38 PM   #9

When I did a simular work, in my htt. I located a screw in a similar location/condition. I removed it, and brought it to the hardware store. I found Kreg joinery screws where a perfect match. They have numerous lengths to choose from, heads are identical, and use the #2 square drive bit.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 07:30 AM   #10

284bhsw

I own a 284bhsw. Had local dealer install a tv mount in bedroom since i couldn't tell where a stud is and found no Info from jayco. Not 30 seconds after hanging tv, it fell. Cause it wasn't mounted into a stud. local dealer says not their problem since jayco doesn't even tell them where studs are. They have to "guesstimate". So now I have three holes in my wall. Still can't find studs to hang tv.
T0550087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 09:41 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0550087 View Post
local dealer says not their problem since jayco doesn't even tell them where studs are. They have to "guesstimate". So now I have three holes in my wall. Still can't find studs to hang tv.
If you want something done right, you have to do it yourself (or at least not at that dealer).

Contact Jayco and ask for a diagram and they'll send you a drawing showing the framing. Your dealer could (should) have done the same thing if they didn't know. In my mind you were paying them to know where the studs were, not to turn some screws...
John1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 10:03 AM   #12

I saw a video on YouTube that addressed installing a TV on the wall. The dude used a stud finder to find the thicker part of the wall/mounting backer.

If it were me, I would locate the thick part, then install a short expanding nut in the wall and ensure its really tight.
2017 Ram 1500 Laramie
Itoddday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 06:33 PM   #13

You need to be careful where you install something like that. Could be wires or plumbing in wall that you don't want to hit......

2016 Pinnacle 36 KPTS
2016 F350 Lariat CC LB dually 6.7
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 07:09 PM   #14

Stud finder

I tried a stud finder.ine kept telling it was all wood. The press board they use for walls is made out of wood. Apparently my stud finder is too cheap and it registers everything as wood. I couldn't tell by tapping on the wall. That is why I took it in to have it done.

I very capable of mechanical things. Just new to tt's.
T0550087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 11:02 PM   #15

I can finally see the TV...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
X2. I'm in the middle of this mod and I'm taking the exact same approach. Backer board, then mount.

As for the mount itself, I noticed in several online videos that Jayco started installing articulating mounts in this spot on 2017 Jay Flight 32TSBHs and a few other coaches. The mount they use has heavy magnets to stow the TV securely for travel (which made me want one), so I contacted Jayco to order one. It's part # 0269903, BRACKET, TV, 200MM X 200MM, STANDARD SINGLE SWING ARM WITH 2 MAGNET. I'm attaching a picture as well.

I like how large the mounting plate is, as well as the number of screw points. It should distribute weight well, which is probably why Jayco uses it in their Lazy Susan of a TV cabinet. It also has a slim profile and doesn't make the TV sit prouder of the cabinet than the fixed mount it's replacing. Before you ask, it was about $75 with delivery, not cheap. But it's well built and will solve my problem...I will actually be able to see the TV from the couch.
And done. So enjoyable! Notice the two round magnets on the bracket plate and arm...they do their job nicely.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0165.jpg   IMG_0166.jpg   IMG_0167.jpg  
Our White Hawk photo album
Old 04-30-2017, 09:02 AM   #16

I just mounted mine with the morryde mount.
Old 04-30-2017, 10:00 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsponsler View Post
I just mounted mine with the morryde mount.
Nicely done!!!
Old 04-30-2017, 05:59 PM   #18

TV mount screw size

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0550087 View Post
I own a 284bhsw. Had local dealer install a tv mount in bedroom since i couldn't tell where a stud is and found no Info from jayco. Not 30 seconds after hanging tv, it fell. Cause it wasn't mounted into a stud. local dealer says not their problem since jayco doesn't even tell them where studs are. They have to "guesstimate". So now I have three holes in my wall. Still can't find studs to hang tv.

That's not right. The dealer shouldn't have even attempted it if they had to 'guesstimate'. They should repair the holes for you. You would think a competent dealer would know how to do this or check with Jayco for stud location before they start drilling holes in the wall. They must have known they didn't hit a stud, yet the proceeded to hang the mount?. I hope your TV wasn't damaged. Geeze, they mount these all the time. Our dealer had no problems mounting a TV in the bedroom of our 38fdds.