Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-12-2016, 10:40 AM   #1

Two questions for fellow owners

Anyone have any problems with the fender over the wheel well stripping from the screws and flying off? Am on my second time with this ...

Anyone have any problems with shower leakage when not leveled precisely/

Thanks for any input.

jp
James Patterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 10:47 AM   #2

Nope, never personally had issues with the fenders. However, once a screw strips out, it must be replaced with a more substantial fastener. The underlying material has been compromised.

Once the RV is level enough for the fridge to work properly, all drains should work fine. If you've got gaps where they don't belong, get things repaired, replaced or use LOTS of silicone sealant!

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 12:41 PM   #3
PMC

Had a fender flare come loose on our trailer this summer and lost it somewhere around Mitchel SD.

It was covered under warranty and haven't had an issue with it since. It appears the lower mounting plate between the wheels on our came loose causing movement at the bottom which lead to cracking around the screws and it eventually let go.
When installing the new one I tightened the plate up and used some locktite on it. Also added clear plastic washers under the bolt heads to help disperse the force around the holes and put plastic wing nuts on the back of all exposed bolts on the lower portion of the fender.

We never even brought it in, just took pictures and emailed the dealer who had the fender drop shipped to us. We had it Friday after talking with them Monday the same week.
PMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 01:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMC View Post
Had a fender flare come loose on our trailer this summer and lost it somewhere around Mitchel SD.

It was covered under warranty and haven't had an issue with it since. It appears the lower mounting plate between the wheels on our came loose causing movement at the bottom which lead to cracking around the screws and it eventually let go.
When installing the new one I tightened the plate up and used some locktite on it. Also added clear plastic washers under the bolt heads to help disperse the force around the holes and put plastic wing nuts on the back of all exposed bolts on the lower portion of the fender.

We never even brought it in, just took pictures and emailed the dealer who had the fender drop shipped to us. We had it Friday after talking with them Monday the same week.
This gets me thinking now - why do they use screws? Is will need to take a look and see if buying a rivet gun and put it together with aluminum rivets. Easy fix if this is something that will be a problem down the road. No pun intended maybe the screws are there to be removed for access on a repair. Anyone else thought of or done a river job for extra strength? What I have found so far is I have had to put hex head screws where ever there is places Jayco used long staples so crap doesn't fall apart.
Dropnaduece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 01:39 PM   #5

The fender of our WH cracked around a couple of the screws, but similar to what dropnadeuce did, I replaced the screws with a nut & bolt, and also added a washer behind the bolt head.

Where is your shower leaking? I had to add silicone along the track (Jayco didn't bother to add any) as we had water leaking under it, but that's been the extent of any shower issues.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote