Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-06-2012, 04:33 PM   #1

ugh....I had a couple of sputs

Packed up to go home today, pulled into the park sani dump, decided to unplug the trailer electrical from my truck. Drained and cleaned the tanks. Got in my truck and started driving down the hill.......I was in tow haul mode and using engine to brake assist.....well my wife looks over and says.....Honey why are there no numbers showing up on the brake controller when you step on the brakes?......yup , I fogot to plug the trailer back in.....pulled over as soon as I could and found the wire connector had dragged a little on the road and wore some plastic away.....connector was still good though. Got back in the truck....started driving down the hill and realized that I forgot to hook up the break away switch cable and I pulled over again and could not find the coupler to hook it to my hitch.....I took my aluminum carabeaner off my key and used that for the rest of the trip home...I am so embarraed at myself....I am usually really good at double checking everything.
Oh well I won't do that again.....and the only good thing?....I now know my truck can still stop my rig....lol
Old 05-06-2012, 04:42 PM   #2

If that's the worst you ever do, you'll be in good shape. Luckily, there were no big repercussions. I hate to say it, but I've done worse.

The big lesson I learned - there's a good reason I follow a very systematic hook up inspection, and if I ever get interrupted, I start from the top again. Kind of like jumpmaster training in the army, before you let paratroopers board a plane. The one time I didn't follow my own rule was a very big (and embarrassing) mistake. Lesson learned - don't try to be on a conference call with work while hooking up.
Old 05-06-2012, 04:48 PM   #3
Site Team

Stuff happens. Just being curious but why disconnect the plug from the truck when dumping?
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 04:52 PM   #4

I did not want to drain my truck's battery. I had it connected at home and had killed my truck battery before our first trip a couple weeks ago....
Old 05-06-2012, 04:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerncanuck View Post
I did not want to drain my truck's battery. I had it connected at home and had killed my truck battery before our first trip a couple weeks ago....
How long was it hooked up at home?
Previous RV's: '03 MobileScout Titan 29DBS; '01 Sunnybrook Lite 2708 SLE; '99 Coleman Utah
Previous TV's: '02 Chevy Suburban 2500 8.1 4.10; '99 Chevy Express 1500 5.7
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 05:00 PM   #6
Site Team

Sounds like your TT battery may not be up to par if it is draining the tv batt that fast.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 05:28 PM   #7

Under most normal conditions your truck can bring your TT to a stop without the TT brakes. In farming country we pickup fertilizer trailers all the time that don't have brakes. They weigh out at up to 20,000 when filled. Haven't had a problem yet. We tow those trailers up to 20 to 30 miles.
Curt class V hitch
Reese trunion WD with dual cam
AC6CV/7 ex-W8RUR since 1954

Wyotraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 05:33 PM   #8

Last summer while touring Nova Scotia we left Baddeck, Cape Breton Island, driving clockwise around Bras d'Or Lake, leaving the Island via the canso Causeway. A car pulled out in to traffic causing me to apply the brakes quickly. We heard a sound like a stone hitting the rear window. I looked in to the rear view mirror to see what might have happend to cause the noise.
Yep, It was right then I remembered I didn't put the 2 piece lock in position on the safety latch for the Kingpin cause I was seeing the larger of the 2 parts of the lock laying on the folded box cover at the window.The noise was the smaller part of the lock hitting the glass and falling between the cab and the box.
In that milli second I contemplated, do I tell the Navigator? or do I pull over for fuel in the next hundred feet as planned and casually deal with the problem.
Busted....in one of those holy crap! moments.... it was revealed.
Lucky on 2 counts, the window didn't break and the Kingpin locking arm stayed in position. Experiential Learning. Not as bad as the time when.........
4" Magnaflow, Banks Air Intake
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs
DMRGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:17 PM   #9

Does your truck not isolate itself from the TT battery when the TV is not running? I know that is how my Chevy Traverse works. I found out one day, when the battery on the TT was drained too much to get the slideout in. The TT was plugged into my Traverse, so I though I had a bad connection. I checked the connector and tried again, still no juice. Then it hit me, started up the Traverse and I had full battery power. Got the slideout in and then turned the Traverse off again. Its nice to know that my Traverse will not drain down with the TT plugged in.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum View Post
Does your truck not isolate itself from the TT battery when the TV is not running? I know that is how my Chevy Traverse works. I found out one day, when the battery on the TT was drained too much to get the slideout in. The TT was plugged into my Traverse, so I though I had a bad connection. I checked the connector and tried again, still no juice. Then it hit me, started up the Traverse and I had full battery power. Got the slideout in and then turned the Traverse off again. Its nice to know that my Traverse will not drain down with the TT plugged in.
Same here on the Tundra, with the key out no power.
Preston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:41 PM   #11

me to

have forgotten the cotter pins on my hitch setup. now have a laminated check list to follow regarding the things to do and check inside and out of the tt and also regarding hook up to tv. i always stop after a few miles and do one more walk around just to be sure. glad nothing serious happened, happy camping!
bayleightucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:56 PM   #12

It was plugged in overnight, battery did not have enough to kick it over....I will check to see if it isolates with the key. I don't think I will disconnect when I am traveling from now on
Old 05-07-2012, 02:08 AM   #13

Professional truckers do a walk around their rig prior to driving. This is something that I make a practice of every time I drive the trailer. I was surprised how many times I overlooked something before leaving. I would recommend this practice to anyone, especially those who are new to towing.
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:53 AM   #14

I have my truck wired directly to my trailer at all times through a 30amp breaker and can leave them plugged together for days prior to a trip without my truck battery dieing, sounds like you have an issue with your trailer battery

Merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 07:59 PM   #15

Ditto on the laminated checklist. I use it EVERY time. Might seem like dorkville to use a checklist, but when I climb behind the wheel and start down the road, I don't get the nagging, what did I forget feeling.
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 10:47 AM   #16

I have a laminated checklist. Even if I don't follow it, I always go through step by step before I get behind the wheel and verify that every item has been done.
sirrealone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 12:41 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphie View Post
Professional truckers do a walk around their rig prior to driving. This is something that I make a practice of every time I drive the trailer. I was surprised how many times I overlooked something before leaving. I would recommend this practice to anyone, especially those who are new to towing.
I always walk around ours at least twice before hitting the road.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ome-41831.html
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 09:51 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum View Post
The 7-pin plug on the RAM 1500's is hot all the time. I verified that on my 2014 1500 with a volt meter. When we are on the road and overnighting in a rest area I always unplug and leave a post-it on the steering wheel to remind me to plug in again before heading out.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote