Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-06-2016, 02:34 PM   #1

Uncoupling a Jayco 24 FBS from a Blue OX

I have a 2015 Jayco 24 FBS that we absolutely love with one exception. Every trip we have a [problem trying to get the trailer off from the ball. I have a Blue OX sway pro hitch and sway set up with a 2016 Silverado. The dealer checked the coupler and said it is fine. I have inspected the ball and there are no nicks etc. I am getting tired of spending 45 mins to an houir trying to get the darn trailer off the ball. Has anyone else experienced this? If not can anyone give some advice as to what I may be doing wrong?
Thank you
FashaPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 03:18 PM   #2

You'll find multiple posts on this Forum about your dilemma. I also had the Blue Ox Hitch. First Grease the Ball, that will help somewhat. Best trick I picked up here was to chock the trailer then place the Ball in center of hitch by moving truck forward or back slowly. Once centered, place TV in in Neutral, but lightly set the Parking brake. Of course if on a slope, set heavier. Release the catch and it should pop off. If not just rock the TV one way or the other. It will get easier over time.

015 Ford F250 Lariat SD
2015 Jayco WhiteHawk 27DSRL (Sold)
2017 KZ Durango D281RLT.
RSerendipity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 03:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FashaPa View Post
I have a 2015 Jayco 24 FBS that we absolutely love with one exception. Every trip we have a [problem trying to get the trailer off from the ball. I have a Blue OX sway pro hitch and sway set up with a 2016 Silverado. The dealer checked the coupler and said it is fine. I have inspected the ball and there are no nicks etc. I am getting tired of spending 45 mins to an houir trying to get the darn trailer off the ball. Has anyone else experienced this? If not can anyone give some advice as to what I may be doing wrong?
Thank you
It may not be the Blue Ox, just a matter of technique. First time I took out my new Jay Feather 23RLSW I spent an hour trying to get it unhitched before I finally called my dealer. Here's the trick:
  • Let the trailer's weight down fully on the hitch coupler.
  • Now flip up the release lever (push down the front tab), then slide it to the rear. Apparently it won't release while it's pulling up on the ball.
  • Finally, lift the trailer using your jack and it should come right off.
I had upgraded from a trailer from the older style coupler, and they just don't work the same even though I expected them to.

Good luck!

Roger

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 01:39 PM   #4

I usually just jump up and down on the bumper a couple times and it will POP out.

Read About My Camping World Nightmare
Loosenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 05:36 PM   #5

I agree with greasing the ball and leaving the truck in neutral during the unhitch procedure. Often times the ball is too far forward or back in the coupler to release properly, and being ungreased exacerbates this.
JoeTampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 01:31 PM   #6

TT Hitch not releasing.

I had same issue until I understood the TT hitch mechanism. The hitch is designed NOT to release unless the hitch latch is manually pulled back. And you can't pull the latch back until all upward TT force is off.
rjgilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 06:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FashaPa View Post
Thank you
You have good suggestions from everyone on this. As you can see my set up is very close to what you have, after chocking the trailer I take the weight off the spring bars and remove them, lower the trailer back down so the weight is on the truck and then open the coupler lock and raise the trailer tongue, if it does not release I stick the pin in the lock to keep it open and move the truck either forward or back depending on what pressure is on the ball. You may have to have a little upward pressure on the trailer tongue in order for it to pop off. I hope this makes sense. I have the same problem and had a dump trailer that acted the same so it’s just the nature of trailer locks. As others have said grease will help as well as silicone spray on the latch/ lock.
John H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 12:17 PM   #8

I have read that some of the new hitches may have overspray from the frame factory. Some members have suggested Dremel tool grinding the overspray.....?? I have a 2016 Eagle and it too is sometimes a bear to release. I do the bumper jump method! Lol
tee-bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 12:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loosenuts View Post
I usually just jump up and down on the bumper a couple times and it will POP out.
Hey....whatever works. Right?
tee-bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 09:53 PM   #10

I had the overspray on my 2015 and had a terrible time unhitching. I used the Dremel tool with a wire brush attachment to clean out the overspray. That along with some good grease on the hitch solved my problem. I have had no problems since.

Former pilot to the rich and famous. Current domestic engineer, head chef, head laundry officer, head dog walker, and pilot volunteer. Lover of tacos and soccer
beechjetpilot1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coupling frustration