Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-24-2016, 11:05 AM   #1

uneven tire wear

Hello,
I have a 2012 25' RKS trailer that is showing signs of uneven tire wear on the rear axle inside of the tire. The other three look like a normal wear pattern. The trailer was bought new and has approximately 12K miles on the tires. Any ideas if I have an axle alignment problem or what have others experienced in this regard? Thanks for any ideas or suggestions on how to proceed with this.

Steve

dakotakid91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 11:32 AM   #2

Could be a redundant way of storing it, steel belt(s) could be broke, etc. Take it off and take the wheel and tire both to a tire store and have them do a balance. That will give them an idea of what's wrong. Could be excessive road force which essentially means the belts have broken away and needs to be replaced. Improper inflation and out of spec alignment can cause uneven wear as well. I doubt if anything is wrong with the axle, to be honest.

2002 Coleman Bayside Elite (traded)
Me, Momma and Charles (RIP buddy)
And introducing Sofie!! ;)
TWP723 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 11:41 AM   #3

Tire Wear

Check for proper inflation on that tire. I have had my axles lined up twice, my nickle. Check the 4 digit number you will find in a small circle on the wall of the tire. The 1st 2 digits indicate the week of the year the tire was made and the 2nd 2 digits indicate the year. If those tires are OME on the trailer they were probably put on the trailer Sep-Oct 2011. So the IMHO, I think it is time to replace the tires after your tire wear problem is corrected. I took my unit to a Truck Rebuild Shop in Florence, SC, a couple of years back and it cost me $125.00. Shop around but my recommendation is get it fixed and new tires.
mohok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 11:58 AM   #4
JDP

Most trailer tire premature wear issues are caused by under inflation.
JDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 01:51 PM   #5

Thanks for your ideas and suggestions. I know that I have been guilty until our last trip of running the tire pressure too low for what it should be. Maximum tire pressure on the sidewall indicates 65 psi and I had been running all tires at 50 psi. I will definitely be looking at replacing these tires but would like to find someone to look at the axle alignment prior to doing so.
Old 09-24-2016, 01:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotakid91 View Post
Thanks for your ideas and suggestions. I know that I have been guilty until our last trip of running the tire pressure too low for what it should be. Maximum tire pressure on the sidewall indicates 65 psi and I had been running all tires at 50 psi. I will definitely be looking at replacing these tires but would like to find someone to look at the axle alignment prior to doing so.
Good call!
2002 Coleman Bayside Elite (traded)
Me, Momma and Charles (RIP buddy)
And introducing Sofie!! ;)
TWP723 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 01:54 PM   #7

The tire numbers you mentioned on the sidewall are 2411 which indicates the 24th week of 2011. I will be looking at replacements before venturing out again but would like to find the cause first. The inside tire wear only appears on that one single tire which to me must have something to do with axle alignment.
Old 09-24-2016, 02:57 PM   #8

I had uneven wear on one of my tires, took the trailer to a tire shop for replacement and they diagnosed loose bearings on that tire. Replaced the bearings (not expensive) and new tires have not had the same problems.
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 03:24 PM   #9

Roger, thanks for that suggestion also. I had the bearings repacked this past spring prior to a trip back to the Midwest without incident. I am going to go out Monday morning and talk to the guy who did the bearing pack and see if he has ideas or suggestions on how I should proceed with this. I will certainly keep everyone's suggestions on this forum in mind as I try to come up with a solution.
Old 09-24-2016, 04:26 PM   #10

Tire Wear

One thing to check is your load. If the frig or something heavy sits above that wheel and you are a bit over loaded on that side that could be a cause. With six plus year old tire, you would be asking for trouble ever if it wasn't worn un evenly. 5 years max for me and I keep the side the sun hits covered. I have changed a few beside the road and it ain't no fun. Enjoy.

mohok1 is offline   Reply With Quote