Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-26-2012, 12:46 PM   #1

Unexplained temporary hot smell on 1st tow?

I took delivery of my 26RLS today. When I went out with the dealer for a drive and we pulled over after about 3 highway miles, there was a hot smell at the passenger rear side of the TV. The brakes were cool on that side so I know it wasn't them. There was no smell around the trailer, just when you were standing near the back of the TV on the passenger side. When we got back to the dealer, after the same amount of mileage there was no smell and when I got it to my parking spot, I might have got a whiff of something but it was gone quick.
The only thing we did when we stopped was tighten up the sway bar a half turn since I felt a little sway on the initial run.
The only thing I could think of is maybe the sway I felt caused the sway bar to heat up a bit and maybe burn off some manufacturing debris.
Has anyone had anything similar happen or any ideas on what it might have been?
Thanks
Grant
grantsoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 01:08 PM   #2

Hot smell

I have a 365 BHS and my camper had the same smell when it was new. My smell was coming from the front of the camper near the battery box. The smell came from the battery box on the camper. The brakes had a loose wire and was grounding out on the axle. Get under the camper and check to see that all of the brake wire connections are tight on the camper. This was a problem a couple of years ago with Jayco quality from the factory.
Camper 10
2010 365 BHS
taylorj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 06:05 AM   #3

Could be catalytic converter

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorj View Post
I have a 365 BHS and my camper had the same smell when it was new. My smell was coming from the front of the camper near the battery box. The smell came from the battery box on the camper. The brakes had a loose wire and was grounding out on the axle. Get under the camper and check to see that all of the brake wire connections are tight on the camper. This was a problem a couple of years ago with Jayco quality from the factory.
Camper 10
2010 365 BHS
Thanks!. I'm parked in a wet spot but will check this as soon as I can.
In the meantime, I ran it by a mechanic friend. He said right away he thought it was likely the catalytic converter. He said the CC tends to build up "crud" over the years. Once the motor is put under a good load, it heats up quite a bit more and burns all of the accumulated "crud" off which is likely what I smelled and why it went away after a few more miles. Coincidentally, at the time I noticed the smell I remember thinking that the normal converter cooldown noises were quite a bit louder than usual.

Grant
grantsoo is offline   Reply With Quote