Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-21-2013, 06:08 PM   #1

Unusual question

Some might think this question a little odd, but here goes anyways. I am trying to resolve an ongoing issue I have with cooling my bunkhouse. In the end, I will probably just spend the money and install a second unit, but I am trying a couple of things first. I noticed that my vent covers are 1 directional. Yes, they turn but the air still blows in 1 direction. I found some that blow in 2 directions, and turn as well. I am going to purchase 1 to install in the bunkhouse. I can have cold air blowing towards the bunks on both sides. I am thinking about maybe even going oversize with it. Also, I read somewhere, that the AC vents often extend past the last opening. If mine does, I am going to block it just past the vent. Since this idea came to me on the way home from camping, and it is now 250 miles away, I can't measure anything. I will be going back for Memorial Day, and would love to have everything ready for a quick install, rather than shopping for everything, then installing! Question is, does anyone know the dimensions of the vent? Height and width. Mine is a 2012 32TSBH. Any assistance appreciated, and no big hurry, won't be back down for a month. Gotta try a cheap way, before dishing out $1000-$1500 for a second unit.
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:14 AM   #2

I bought a Vornado 753 whole room air circulator to try in our long TT w/ a 15K BTU AC unit, based on another member's comment about it. That baby can really push and mix the air up. Tried it in the house only so far, but will try it in the TT when it heats up a bit here and we go camping.

Mike
Current TV: 2010 Chevy 2500HD, CC, LB, Duramax/Allison

mikefos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:57 AM   #3

Mike has a good point by utilizing a room circulator....when we camped in 100 degree heat last summer, I used a small 10" box fan to circulate air into the bedroom area of my 5er and even though it was not super comfortable in the daytime, it was cool enough to where you could stay in there w/o sweating down. My bunk room in the back is a lot smaller than a 32 TSBH and it stays cool without a fan but without a front a/c, we need to run a fan in the hottest of summer days. Also good to turn that a/c on early in the morning so it can get a head start on the heat.
dg1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:24 AM   #4

Although our climate here is not as hot as you folks farther south, on the really hot days here (95F) I set the A/C fan to run all the time and let the compressor cycle as needed. i.e. not the auto fan setting. I also close the vents in the ceiling unit which is A/C housing, and maybe close one ceiling vent close to the A/C unit. The idea is to use the A/C fan to push the air where you need it most.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:04 PM   #5

They are 4" RV Vents. Search E-bay for a 4" flush mounted, rotating RV vent and you will find them. I installed a second one and it does make a difference. The duct work is there you just need to cut through the laminate ceiling into it. Very easy mod with minimal tools. A sharp knife could get it done. I did mine with a Roto zip but a 4" hole saw will do it too. Since the cold air is there already use it! Double the volume into that area. I have one pointing to the back window and the other towards the other side. Take out the existing vent there and see how far back it goes, then tap into it.

The ducts themselves are only about 10 or so inches wide and no more than 2" deep in my units case. Between the ceiling and duct itself is only about a 1/4" so watch the depth of the vent and screws.

The box fan is a good idea too.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:07 AM   #6

Dont forget Krackeer to give me shout if you need a hand/tools etc. Those A/C units arn't light!
exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by exjay1 View Post
Dont forget Krackeer to give me shout if you need a hand/tools etc. Those A/C units arn't light!
I appreciate the offer exjay! Not sure if and when I will do it, but if I do, I will definitely get a hold of you. I was down last weekend and was driving around. Went back into your development. Just a quick drive through. I didn't see your TT anywhere, but I didn't go down a few of the streets. Coming back down Memorial Day weekend, and then 11 nights the week of 7/4 and part of the next week. If I can get some OT at work, I might look at downing something the week after the 4th. I may get a hold of you then, and have you look for the situation, and see if you have some ideas that I haven't thought of. Thanks again.
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote