Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-21-2017, 02:28 PM   #1

Upgrading TT for my 2016 Highlander

I know this is a Jayco forum, but I thought I'd ask anyway. This is cross posted on a Highlander forum, but I don't know how much towing experience I'll receive there.

I'm considering a new Gulfstream Vintage 19ERD to pull with my 2016 Highlander XLE. Tow capacity 5000lbs with 500lbs max hitch weight. My current trailer is a Jayco 184BH and it pulls it better than the 1/2 ton pick up that I drove it home with (I outfitted my Highlander with a weight distribution hitch which made all the difference in the world.) See the difference in specs below. Anyone want give an opinion on upgrading to the slightly bigger TT? I'm just asking from a towing perspective. Although if you have opinions on the TT itself i'll be glad to listen to that too.

Jayco 184BH (current TT)
Dry Weight: 2775lbs
GVWR: 3500lbs
Hitch Weight (dry): 320lbs

Gulfstream 19ERD (new TT)
Dry Weight: 3225lbs
GVWR: 4330lbs
Hitch Weight (dry): 390lbs

Thanks,
Garrett
packerprogrammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 02:39 PM   #2

I would expect you will be close if not over the hitch max and over the Rear Axle GAWR with the TT you are eyeing.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 03:28 PM   #3

I used to have an Xterra 4.0 w/ factory tow with 5000lbs tow capacity. I pulled an R-Pod 178 that was very close in specs as your Jayco 184BH (2600 dry, 3700 loaded) I found that my Xterra didn't have enough power to comfortably pull the R-Pod in the mountains. We could not us the AC going of a steep grade (it over heated)
I think the Gulfstream 19ERD is way to much TT for your TV.

wan-der-lust's YouTube Channel and Instagram

wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 07:16 PM   #4

Thanks for the comments. The hitch weight has me more concerned than anything. It's not that much more dry, but I know how things go, bigger TT more stuff inside. And of course the dry hitch weight doesn't count gas in the tanks and the Gulfstream has 2 while my little Jayco has only one.

I haven't had my Jayco in the "mountains" really, but man it pulls easy. My fuel economy only drops about 5 mpg while towing. The Xterra and Highlander are comparable vehicles in many aspects so perhaps I need to tow in some more extreme conditions before I make any decisions. Thanks to both of you for your input.
packerprogrammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 05:17 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by packerprogrammer View Post
perhaps I need to tow in some more extreme conditions before I make any decisions.
I would def do some towing in mountains on a hot summer day and see what happens.

wan-der-lust's YouTube Channel and Instagram

wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gulfstream, highlander, jayco