Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-16-2017, 02:14 PM   #21

Stabilizers properly deployed whenever the TT is not hitched up for towing.

I leave the fridge on and stocked during the whole camping season so the TT must be kept level. Since it spends the winter in it's summer spot, the TT is level with the stabilizers down with the cover on.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 02:40 PM   #22

I'm assuming there is a good reason that manufactures say not to store with the stabilizers down, so I'm not going to pretend to be smarter than the engineers that design these units. Living in snow country, it makes sense in my mind to not lower the stabilizers when stored for the winter. When you put a snow load on the roof, let the suspension and tires take the load as they are designed to do, and don't try to carry all the weight on the stabilizers. They are stabilizers, not jacks, so they aren't made to support the weight of the rv. For those who use the wind argument, the stabilizers will do nothing to help keep it from blowing over.
To each their own.

Becky, Bob and Taylie & Bode
2009 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison
2014 Heartland Sundance XLT 245RL
His and Hers Polaris 570 Touring ATV's
2018 Polaris General 1000
Bobx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 02:45 PM   #23
BCK

Ours is stored at home on concrete with stabilizers down. Snowload isn't a problem here but when we lived in snow country I left the stabilizers up for the winter.
BCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 03:42 PM   #24

Always use mine.

wan-der-lust's YouTube Channel and Instagram

wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 04:58 PM   #25

Our storage facility is gravel and the tires have sunk about an inch due to freeze/thaw so our stabilizers are up all winter. Probably should reposition it.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 08:34 AM   #26

I stored my 23MRB this year, our first year with the camper. It is stored at the local fairground inside ($250 to store it all winter). I honestly didn't even think about the stabilizers, I put them all down because that is what I do every time I park the camper. I don't anticipate any issues with it being inside and out of the elements. I did get one nasty surprise when I tried to take the battery off and take it home with me. The negative terminal was cross threaded badly and I wound up having to cut the wire. I have the battery at home on a tender. I will attach it to the post when I go to pick it up.
Hazman65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 12:35 AM   #27

It was news to me when several folks mentioned the manual cautioning against deploying the stabilizers. I have always deployed mine on all the non Jaycos I've had, including my current Koala.

So, after reading the recommendation to not use stabilizers in the Jayco owner's manual, I re-read the Koala owner's manual. That manual is silent on the deployment of stabilizers.

My trailer sits next to my garage on the asphalt driveway. I'm in the trailer from time to time, so I've always put the stabilizer down. Hate the bounce while inside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobx2 View Post
I'm assuming there is a good reason that manufactures say not to store with the stabilizers down, so I'm not going to pretend to be smarter than the engineers that design these units. Living in snow country, it makes sense in my mind to not lower the stabilizers when stored for the winter. When you put a snow load on the roof, let the suspension and tires take the load as they are designed to do, and don't try to carry all the weight on the stabilizers. They are stabilizers, not jacks, so they aren't made to support the weight of the rv. For those who use the wind argument, the stabilizers will do nothing to help keep it from blowing over.
To each their own.
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 06:24 PM   #28

Thank you
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 06:26 PM   #29

Thank you. We are taking our out for the maiden run in a few weeks. Any pointers that we could us. There are at least 4 23MRB owners of the forum now.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
Old 01-29-2017, 06:27 PM   #30

Thanks
Old 01-29-2017, 07:03 PM   #31

All good points here in Massachusetts
Marine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 04:08 PM   #32

I read that it’s not a good idea to leave stabilizers down for outdoor storage in northern climates as frost can be hard on them as well as the frame.
John H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 05:05 PM   #33

Snow is a good insulator. Our tt only has two stabilizers and two are homemade out of wood.. I can't understand why frost is an issue.. Most people here have them deployed. Above freezing is a warm day BTW.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 01:22 PM   #34

I see no advantage in lowering them for storage. But I do see possibly damaging them should one or more tires go flat. And no reason to outguess the manual that says not to deploy them.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 11:59 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwby View Post
A big concern as well would be a flat tire or sinking/shifting into gravel or soft ground during storage and overloading stabilizer jacks. It's why the manual says "Never store trailer with stabilizer jacks in the down position"
Good advice!!!!

Tags
stabilizers, storing trailer