Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-17-2015, 07:30 AM   #11
Another yes. Worst that will happen, if you use too many things in the RV, is that you will pop your home's circuit breaker.

2012 Ford F-150 Eco, Max/Max
Jayco 26.5 RLS, Reese Sidewinder
Flapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 07:34 AM   #12
Originally Posted by Flapper View Post
Another yes. Worst that will happen, if you use too many things in the RV, is that you will pop your home's circuit breaker.

If you use too light an extension cord, it will fail first by igniting the insulation on the wires and letting all the smoke out.

TT 2015 19RD "TheJayco"
TV 2003 F-350 "Montblanc" - Housebroken chore truck

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 11:10 AM   #13
One more thing, you might be able to run the AC or Microwave without popping the house circuit, especially if the camper is connected to a 20 amp breaker. The 15 amp adaptor is not a quality item. It can get really hot and melt and ruin the cord plug and so forth. Our dealer warned us about running to much power through the adaptor, and that they replace a lot of cords, for the above mentioned items.
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 02:04 PM   #14
The best 15 to 30 amp adapter is the small round black rubber one. It has no wire in it and the brass contacts in it run straight from the 15 amp side to the 30 amp side, thus little or no current loss. The dog bone adapters are okay, but watch your current load.
2014 Jayco Jay Flight 33RLDS travel trailer, 2005 Chevy 2500 Duramax diesel with 60 gallon auxilary bed mounted fuel tank, Honda EU3000 generator.
Roy W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 02:19 PM   #15
Roy W, I have to agree that the internal connection is better but I think another problem could be present in the singular unit as compared to the dog bone. Each connection has a slight amount of resistance and therefore generates a bit of heat. If the current draw is high and the connector resistance is sufficient to generate enough heat, the adapter will melt. That's what happened to mine so therefore I changed to the dog bone style of adapter.
2015 Greyhawk 29MV
Honda CRV toad with Blue Ox baseplate
Ready Brute Elite towbar with braking system
Hughes autoformer
TST 507 Flowthru TPMS
hoppers4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 03:36 PM   #16
I know the OP didn't ask about 50 amp adapters but thought I would mention this as it's related. I use both 15 and 50 amp adapters, so I'm not being critical.

But using a 15 amp adapter on a 30 amp cord just might be safer than using a 30 amp cord on a 50 amp adapter.

Using a 50 amp adapter is about the same as putting a 50 amp breaker/fuse in a home circuit sized for smaller appliances or lighting. Any old-timers remember when it was common to stick a penny behind a fuse that kept blowing?

Anyway, either adapter needs to be closely monitored for problems.
moallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 04:12 PM   #17
Site Team
I find myself feeling the cord every time I go by, even if we are not using any adapters.

Just feeling for a heated connection. I have seen some melted connectors and cords from poor connections at adapters and pedestals.
2011 351RLTS Eagle, Mor/Ryde suspension & pin box
06 F350 Lariat PSD, SRW, LB, CC, EGR delete kit, 16K DrawTite hitch, Timbrens, TST TPMS

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 04:21 PM   #18
I agree that when using a 15 or 20 amp circuit with an adapter you need to be observant. That is even true when connected to a 30 amp service for a 30 amp cord. It is always a good idea early on to feel your connections to be certain that there isn't a problem with heating. An occasional check after that doesn't hurt either. Loose, corroded, or otherwise poor connections are possible with the campground pedestal too.

50 amp to 30 amp. Every modern RV has a main breaker in the service panel. The breaker is sized to protect the OEM cord. That breaker does its job whether fed by a 30 amp source or higher amperage.

Without the main breaker a cord could be overloaded when fed by a 50 amp service. As long as the RV main breaker doesn't malfunction there is little danger.

FWIW. vic
VicS1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 07:27 PM   #19
My Starcraft, a division of Jayco, has a junction box where the 30 amp cord connects to a 10 gauge romex that runs another 10 feet or so to the converter main breaker. That romex is just laying loose under the rear sofa and cabinet - not really very safe in my opinion. I really ought to install it in a tough flexible plastic conduit. The only protection all the way to the back of the converter is the campground's breaker, whether it be 30 or 50 amp.

moallen is offline   Reply With Quote