Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-30-2014, 12:39 PM   #1

Using a 24' Trailer at a typical campsite

I am about to purchase a 24' 1996 Jayco SL 240 and this deal came up real fast and I didn't have a ton of time to research. Are most campsites OK with bringing a 24' trailer in and not a tent, or are there specific sites that have trailer spots? I don't want to end up in a "parking lot" type of situation like some RV parks, I'd rather be under the trees/in the dirt. It has been so long since I camped that I can't remember if trailers were mixed in with the tents, and if so how long they were.

Thanks!

Dave
247jamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 12:56 PM   #2

24 foot TT(Travel Trailer) is a nice size, they can fit almost anywhere, as they are just a little longer than a full size, long box, crew cab pickup. Our HTT is 23.5 feet. We cannot fit into every site in a campground but we can fit into most of them. It gives us a lot of options. We stay in a lot of sites that are commonly used by tenters. The bigger the TT the more limits you have on site options. Most of the places we go that take reservations will tell you how large of a unit can be placed in a site.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 01:58 PM   #3

Most campsites will ask for your equipment length when reserving so you should be fine.
I do not like the private “parking lot” style campgrounds either. Not sure about where you live, but here we typically go to National Forest and State Park campgrounds. They are typically spread out and surrounded by trees. Usually there is no cell service, no t.v., no wifi. Just the way we like it!
Old 05-30-2014, 01:59 PM   #4

Agree with Jagiven, we went from pop-ups to a 34ft tt and now we're back to a 23B. We camp at State Parks and were very limted with the previous tt, now we can fit on/in just about any site with the 23B. You should have a pick of a mojority of sites.
WVCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 02:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
24 foot TT(Travel Trailer) is a nice size, they can fit almost anywhere, as they are just a little longer than a full size, long box, crew cab pickup. Our HTT is 23.5 feet. We cannot fit into every site in a campground but we can fit into most of them. It gives us a lot of options. We stay in a lot of sites that are commonly used by tenters. The bigger the TT the more limits you have on site options. Most of the places we go that take reservations will tell you how large of a unit can be placed in a site.
Our HTT is about 25 ft opened up. Like you we've only seen a few sites that were too small. However, I think WI and MN state parks are a lot more geared toward trailers.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 02:32 PM   #6

One thing we learned after the fact, after grabbing a spot online, was that the little number next to the site was length in feet. Not saying that all parks have this feature but if you do book online and they have park map, see if they show size.
We were in a shorter than desired spot where we had to unhook truck and sort of sideways it in to fit. Looking at map later over beers we had the lightbulb come on.
Cosmik Debris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 02:47 PM   #7

We mostly do state parks, and so far have not had any issue finding a spot that fit our 23b.
kvangil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 04:04 PM   #8

Thanks for the replies everyone!
247jamz is offline   Reply With Quote