Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-22-2017, 06:05 AM   #1

Using one of two fresh water tanks?

Newbie question time. So our 26BH came with 2-42 gallon fresh water tanks. Most of our camping trips only consist of a couple nights. I've seen it recommended to travel either full/empty, but not partial for safe driving. If camping without hookups, I have no choice but to fill before leaving home. But, do we need 80 gallons for a couple nights? Probably not. I'd bet money that the tanks fill at the same time, and not sequentially. So has anyone modified their system to sometimes utilize only one tank? I wanted to ask before I start tearing into the underbelly looking for a solution. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

2017 Jay Flight 26BH
2014 F-150 5.0 Fx4
Kal El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 06:29 AM   #2

For two nights I always fill to about half or less and have never had a problem running out of water or towing. Filling two to half makes a lower center of gravity than filling one full. Just my opinion.
Old 06-22-2017, 11:33 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal El View Post
So has anyone modified their system to sometimes utilize only one tank? I wanted to ask before I start tearing into the underbelly looking for a solution. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
On my unit (different model) it would be easy to keep the second tank from filling by adding a shutoff valve to the small tubing section between them. They have dedicated vent and drain hoses so no modification needed there.

On my unit the water pump and fresh water fill ARE located on the same tank, initially I thought they were not. However, you'll want to confirm this on your unit. On my neighbor's trailer (a couple years older and yet another model) the fill and pump connection are on opposite tanks meaning you would need to relocate one or the other (or fill both tanks, then cut off the cross-feed and drain the "first" tank).
John1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 07:33 PM   #4

I've done two trips with the tanks half full (40 gallons). One interstate trip, one state route trip. No problems either time. Our plan will always be to travel with water in the tanks on local trips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bearcat77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 09:52 PM   #5

Have gone 5 days on 65 gal tank in our tt. And ran out on the last day. We were not conservative at all.
Cranetech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 12:51 AM   #6

Good to hear you guys haven't had any problems travelling with partial fills. I like the valve idea, but I'll probably try a few trips with half tanks first. I was a little paranoid at first, so I appreciate the responses. Thanks.

2017 Jay Flight 26BH
2014 F-150 5.0 Fx4
Kal El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 05:11 AM   #7

1st. How long will the water last? Depends on the size of your family and the age of the kids. (5 in my family and kids are 11, 14, 15 water usually last 5 days, sometimes 6 We have 2 44 gallon tanks)

Traveling with partial full tanks, we have never had any issues.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 11:34 AM   #8

Hey guys I'm not planning on doing any dry camping just yet as we are just getting started. We are taking a long trip next weekend. Driving from NJ down to FL and stopping midway to camp for the night. My plan was to dump 5 gals down the toilet so we are able to use the bathroom instead of rest stops. Which leads me to fresh water. I also have the double 40 tanks. Will I be OK if I add about 10-15 gals to the fresh water tank or will I have an issue with sloshing and added sway? Should I go half way to 20 gals? I would like to keep weight down as much as possible for tow reasons and it would be nice to be able to use our bathroom and water if needed since we have young children.
Thx
Studiovette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 11:42 AM   #9

That's pretty much what RV's are made for. We always travel with fresh water so we can use our bathroom, NOT public bathrooms.
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 02:22 PM   #10

I think that, unless you are maxing out your tow vehicle's capabilities, you'll barely notice the water is there. I did CAT scale weights with and without 40 gallons of water. The water added about 300lbs to the gross weight, but only about 60 pounds to the tongue weight. So the tanks must be fairly centered over the axles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bearcat77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 04:09 PM   #11

Honestly, the extra load on the truck and slightly lower MPG is easily worth the convenience of hauling "heavy" for a NJ to FL trip. Those restrooms along I95 are disgusting

Craig Bailey
New Hampshire
Jayflight 32 BHDS
Chevy 2500HD CC
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew 4x4 Duramax
ctbailey is offline   Reply With Quote