Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-21-2017, 06:09 PM   #1

Using tongue jack off battery

So,

Going on a trip this weekend, BUT w new neighbors ( more cars on street) its impossible to get in/out of my driveway without going sway bar free - even then its near impossible, yet I somehow do it. No, neighbors wont answer door/move car on several occasions(its L.A.)

Plan is to stop asap (before freeway and put bars on - but I have to lift TTw electric tongue jack.
I could bring generator (lugging a lot of weight for one little task)-
or crank it manually(pain)
or just jack it up on battery (easiest).
Will I drain my battery? Im 5700 lbs and only have 1 12v car battery.

Thanks in advance
doonkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 06:22 PM   #2

Not sure what type of wdh u have but with mine i dont need to jack up or down to put the sway bar on. That's only for the weight dist bars. I do the same as u described. Im fairly new to the entire towing process but have it down to a science. Always pull over before long hwy drive and throw anti sway bar on. Takes 2 min. My bar slides in and out and goes on and off easily.
You will not drain battery by using tongue jack for a min or two and will recharge once you get to your cg assuming your not dry camping. Hope that helps

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk
Studiovette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 06:29 PM   #3

The trailer battery should charge thru the harness while you're driving.
Fr8Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 06:38 PM   #4

Keep your tow vehicle plugged into the trailer and keep the engine idling. The 12v power from your tow vehicle will help take part of the load off your battery when you are using the electric jack.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 07:30 PM   #5

I always use the power jack running off the camper battery not plugged in to truck or shore power never had any issues been doing it for years
mikem56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 07:41 PM   #6

Yep, if your lights are plugged in to your tow vehicle then it will run off your vehicle battery if need be. I know this much, because every time I pick my trailer up from storage after a week or so, the trailer battery is completely dead and when I plug the lights in the jack works just fine.

That being said, just using it to put the hitch bars on is not gonna kill your trailer battery. Also, your trailer battery charges as you are going down the road if the lights are plugged in.

olyelr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 11:06 PM   #7

Thx for advice

Sorry
To clarify, not the sway bar, the long iron weight distribution bars.
Good to know the tv battery will take some of the load.
I actually tried the hand crank down the top of the jack tonight as trial-1st time ever. It's geared and actually quite easy if I remove plastic propane cover.
I think ye old manual way will do it.
doonkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 11:11 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
Keep your tow vehicle plugged into the trailer and keep the engine idling. The 12v power from your tow vehicle will help take part of the load off your battery when you are using the electric jack.
Yep, this works. If you aren't connected and your trailer battery can't handle the task, connect to your vehicle, run the motor and you're good to go w/ the jack. I do this anyway, connect and run the motor.
Current TV: 2010 Chevy 2500HD, CC, LB, Duramax/Allison

mikefos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 02:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by doonkin View Post
So,

Going on a trip this weekend, BUT w new neighbors ( more cars on street) its impossible to get in/out of my driveway without going sway bar free - even then its near impossible, yet I somehow do it. No, neighbors wont answer door/move car on several occasions(its L.A.)

Plan is to stop asap (before freeway and put bars on - but I have to lift TTw electric tongue jack.
I could bring generator (lugging a lot of weight for one little task)-
or crank it manually(pain)
or just jack it up on battery (easiest).
Will I drain my battery? Im 5700 lbs and only have 1 12v car battery.

Thanks in advance
What oldmanAZ said in post#4. Not sure what your tow vehicle is but my 2009 Chevy Suburban did not have 12 volts back at the trailer connector. The 12 volt wire was taped up to the factory wire loom in the engine compartment, I had to connect it to a specified lug on the fuse/relay box to power up the wire. I also have one battery. Jacking up the trailer is not a problem
Future Projects : Kitchen faucet w pulldown sprayer DONE , bathroom faucet and shower head DONE, dimmer for awning lights DONE, Clear door window kit DONE, internal&external fridge fans DONE
denn888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 02:40 PM   #10

I've done it with every trailer I've ever had. At home I don't have to worry since I'm always plugged into electricity anyway. The main time I have to use the battery to power the tongue jack is when we're boondocking. I have to put the generators away before I back up to hook up the trailer.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote