Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-14-2012, 05:09 PM   #1

Value of a used Honda EU2000i

Going to be looking at a used Honda EU2000i that I found on Craigslist today. Seller claims it only has 10hrs, pictures look great, but we will see for sure when I check it out tonight.

2 questions...

1) Seller is asking $800, new they are right around $900-$1000, what you guys think a used EU2000i is worth? I'm thinking more like $600, but dont' want to insult the guy if I am way off base.

2) Other than starting it up, what should I do to really check it out well? I'm thinking of bringing a 1875 watt hair drier and space heater. to try to put it though its paces. Any other ideas?

Thanks for the replies.
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 05:27 PM   #2

I've had a Honda 2000i for several years, but I don't qualify as an expert. Some thoughts:

$800 seems way high to me, too. Your $600 offer seems closer... except maybe offer $500 and see what happens.

Can the seller offer proof it is his to sell? What's the explanation for selling it with only 10 hours of use? What was the use?

Check the oil level... it should be full to the bottom of the hole - if you were to tip the gen, the some oil could come out. The oil should look clean, with only 10 hours on it.

It should start on first or second pull.

A 2000I can supply only about 1600 watts continuous ... so probably not a fair test to try an 1875 watt hair dryer.

The engine should run very smoothly, both at idle and under load. Turn on the eco-throttle switch with the load unplugged. The engine should slow down a bit.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 05:39 PM   #3
Site Team

When I bought mine new, the dealer said he came across used ones from time to time for around 5 to 6 hundred. Don't know about the eng hours on that. If the guy is any good, he will already make sure it will crank. Check to see if it is warm. It should crank on choke in 1 or 2 pulls. Look at the engine for oil and signs of abuse. I would not pay $800 for a used one no matter what condition.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 05:45 PM   #4

Thank you RVHiker for the advice.

I too am concerned about why the seller is letting it go so new. The pictures of the unit look brand new and you can be sure they aren't stock photos becasue they are on the shelf in his garage. I plan to find out when I see him why its for sale.

The good thing is we both happen to live in the same very small town, so if I buy it, and it isn't in fact his to sell, I know where he lives. Plus, just the pictures and amount of detail on craigslist isn't the kind of information someone posts if they are selling something that isn't thiers to sell.

Is there an hour meter on the EU2000i? Every CL add I have ever seen for a Generator someone mentions # of "hours of use" but without a meter that is useless.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:49 PM   #5

Norty1, thank you as well. Another example of how great this forum is. I'll let you know what happens later tonight when I go see it.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:08 PM   #6

No hour meter, unless the owner added on one.

Here's a link that may interest you:Honda 2000i Owner's Manual
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:04 PM   #7

Used Honda's are usually a safe bet. They do have an oil sensor and shut down if the level is low.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:30 PM   #8

Well I got, paid $600....thanks for the advise.

The generator is in excelent shape, hardly looks used at all. In speaking with the guy, turns out he and his wife are close to retirement, thought they would like traveling the country in a 5th wheel. They bought a big beautiful 5er and Chevy 2500 Duramax late 2010 in preperation. Stocked up with everything they thought they would need. He said they used it ~5 times, once at a statepark w/o hookups (only time the used the generator) and now realized RVing isn't for them. Everything is for sale, I got the EU2000i generator, but the neighbor got the companion unit.

Right now he wants to sell the 5er and TV together, but if changes his mind that PU may find itself parked in my garage very soon.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:49 PM   #9

Good timing Clubhouse. Congrats.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 04:57 AM   #10
Site Team

Sounds like you have found a deal. Still a good price. There are lot of lessons to be learned here from the guy that could be more valuable than the great deal on the genny.

1. Don't invest a fortune in something you know nothing about! (Life Lesson)

2. Used is never worth what new costs, no matter the condition.

Sure sorry he is having a to a beating on his camping collection though.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote