Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-01-2014, 07:14 PM   #1

Vent drain empties water tank!

We have a 2012 Eagle and have a problem. The two hoses on the bottom that I believe are the vent hoses will not stop draining the fresh water tanks. I have plugged them for now but if I unplug them they continue draining. Would appreciate any help as this is very frustrating.
Gmyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 07:24 PM   #2

Several threads on the same issue from various trailer types. All the same issue. Best answer I have seen so far was caps or valves.

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 08:04 PM   #3

I found some valves from a farm sprayer supply. Open the valves when filling the tank until they start to overflow, then close the valves for driving. I suppose they should be opened again when parked at the CG, but I never remember to do that. Nice to arrive with a full tank of water!
waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 08:44 PM   #4

It seems like there would have been a better design to the vent tubes to allow this not to be a problem. Does anyone know how the fresh water tanks are shaped? Seems like they would have to be longer rather than taller in order for this problem to occur.
Gmyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 08:54 PM   #5

I suspect it's because us men are impatient and have to fill our tanks on full blast. Try slowing the water flow down and allow the air pressure to vacate the tank. Seems to work better, but I still have flow once you get moving. I like the cap and valve idea.

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 08:54 PM   #6

This has been a problem with many Jayco models for several years.
The FW tank (or tanks - our 22fb has 2 tanks connected by equalizing hoses) are very long and very shallow. They run the width of the trailer and are about 2.5 foot wide and only about 8-10 inches deep.

Take a look at this video at about the 50 second mark. You can see a couple views of the FW tanks during installation.
http://youtu.be/jXMJrRQ3SVk
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 10:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmooney View Post
I suspect it's because us men are impatient and have to fill our tanks on full blast. Try slowing the water flow down and allow the air pressure to vacate the tank. Seems to work better, but I still have flow once you get moving. I like the cap and valve idea.
I think you are correct. Sometimes slower is faster.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 05:48 AM   #8

With some parks only having one place to fill from and with 80 gallons taking a loooong time even at full blast and people waiting behind you, going slow would be rude. Get some caps, lol...
2016 CTS 4 2.0T
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 07:08 AM   #9

I think it helps to not over fill it too. I keep an eye on my meter inside and when it shows full shut it off. If you overfill it the water goes up the filler neck past the vent causing the valves to open.
Two tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 07:33 AM   #10
Lost in the Woods

My Springdale didn't have an over flow vent. When the tank was full water would come out the fill inlet. On my Eagle there are two FW tanks that are connected together with the fill inlet going into one of them. This in itself I think is the reason for needing overflow tubes otherwise how would the second tank which doesn't have a fill tube (just an equalization tube) vacate the air so water could enter? I put two toilet cutoff valves in mine which I shut when the tanks start to overflow meaning they are full. I leave them this way when going down the road and open them back up when I use the FW tanks. I think they need to be open so that they can equalize pressure when in use.
wwsmith111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 10:48 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwsmith111 View Post
My Springdale didn't have an over flow vent. When the tank was full water would come out the fill inlet. On my Eagle there are two FW tanks that are connected together with the fill inlet going into one of them. This in itself I think is the reason for needing overflow tubes otherwise how would the second tank which doesn't have a fill tube (just an equalization tube) vacate the air so water could enter? I put two toilet cutoff valves in mine which I shut when the tanks start to overflow meaning they are full. I leave them this way when going down the road and open them back up when I use the FW tanks. I think they need to be open so that they can equalize pressure when in use.
I wasn't aware that our Eagle TT's have two FW tanks! With the 82 gal. FW capacity, it makes sense, though. Then are these two tubes both overflows, one for each tank? Or is one an overflow and one a vent?

Regardless, I just picked up two 1/2" barbed to 1/2" MPT fittings, a couple of 1/2" - 1" screw-tighten pipe clamps, and two 1/2" FPT x 3/8" straight shut-off valves. Next chance I can, I'll do what you did and take some pics.
Old 05-03-2014, 10:50 AM   #12
Lost in the Woods

I think both tubes (one for each FW tank) act as an overflow and a vent.
wwsmith111 is offline   Reply With Quote