Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-25-2013, 02:46 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by msturtz View Post
That is definately against code. 120 v must be in a box
That makes me wonder if there is any code to be followed at the factories for these things. Around 2000 we put a double-wide on some vacation property per a building permit. We were told the inspectors were not allowed to check inside. That included electrical inspection, which only went on outside.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 03:05 PM   #22

There is a code that must be followed. In Washington State the manufacturer must submit a design and get a type and design permit. As long as the units are constructed to the approved design then they will get a Washington State seal. However if after build discrepancies are found they could be in a lot of trouble and lose their seal and ability to self certify compliance. I don't think there are factory inspections done. I believe it is the same for mobile and manufactured housing. The local electrical inspector isn't allowed to inspect inside mobile homes only L&I is because it is a state permit.
2014 Greyhawk 31FS with a 2007 Tahoe toad
New setup:
2014 Thor Palazzo 33.3 with a 2017 Ford Explorer toad
msturtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:19 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayfun View Post
... These may work for low voltage applications but I think they are poor for 120V.

Attachment 10124

Dennis
I agree. As has been indicated already they are intended for tapping/connecting low voltage systems.

They can slice through the low voltage insulation and make contact well, but may not correctly cut through heavier insulation like THHN/THWN or similar material. That insulation can force open and distort the connector causing it to not bite properly. Another issue with this situation is that I would never use them on #14 or #12 AWG solid wire like Romex building wire, just stranded conductors. It is a poor choice for heavier solid wire.

Many people don't like this type of wire connector and will say not to use them at all. As with any wiring method, I believe that it has a place on low voltage work for many applications when in a controlled environment and properly installed (not hanging out exposed under a vehicle for example).

Whoever used them to connect your water heater has demonstrated that they aren't up to that task.

vic
VicS1950 is offline   Reply With Quote