Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-09-2017, 08:07 PM   #1

Voyager rear view camera on Hummingbird

Just installed a Voyager rear view camera in our Hummingbird 17RK. So I thought I'd share my observations.

Here's the unit I purchased:
Voyager WVOS43 4.3" Digital Wireless Observation System with WiSight Technology https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JV64S7E..._Eb0ozbTZZEMMF

I decided on this unit based on reviews and the fact that the 4.3" monitor was thinner and appeared to be brighter than the older 5.4" monitor. I was worried about the size, but the picture is clear and easy to see.

I completely agree with tundra01 in his comments about "rear view camera ready" there is no ready wiring, nothing except a slightly off center hole in the internal cross brace below the rear center marker lights. There was enough wire running to the lights to easily pull it out and crimp on the inline connectors.

Pico 1560PT 18-14 AWG (Blue) Electrical Wiring Hot Line Quick Splice / Tap-In 15 Per Package https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00030CQHC..._7j0ozb5A34T6D

The red and black wires on the light were positive and neutral as expected. That helped, because the Jayco wires were brown and white.

I used a couple of strips of 3" wide blue painters tape to hold the layout lines and protect the fiberglass when drilling the holes. Measuring from both the left and right marker lights allowed me to ensure the hole was centered and it also allowed me to layout a level line to align the bracket before drilling the pilot holes for the bracket screws.

Since the roof panel is a styrofoam sandwich I needed the stiff coat hanger wire to tunnel through the foam and then a good tape job to ensure the wire stayed attached as I pulled it back through.

Now for the compromise.
The Voyager camera comes with a 4-pin weather resistant click-lock connector that's sturdy, but kind of long when connected. There was no way to get the connector through the hole and into the space between the roof and the ceiling. Never mind the styrofoam, though that did cause a bit of a problem, the angle and the 3/4" hole was just not going to work.

So I carefully cut the grommet off the wire connected to the camera and moved it to the wire that was now connected to the trailer. Some clear 100% silicon sealant on the bracket screws and the grommet and things were sealed up tight with the connector now outside the trailer. Three adhesive zip tie pads attached with 3M VHB tape and some zip ties secured the exposed wire to keep it from flapping around in the wind while on the highway and I'm done.

Pros: 1) access the connector
with the connector outside the skin of the TT I can remove/change the camera if I ever need to without breaking the weather seal.

Cons: 1) appearance
not the cleanest looking install, but with the zip tie pads arranged neatly, the exposed cable is a neat looking as I could make it.

2) weather
The connector is weather resistant, how long it holds up exposed to the elements may be a problem. I did wrap it carefully with vinyl e-tape to add another layer of protection, but only time will tell.

Here are some pictures of the completed install.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2281.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	32248

Name:	IMG_2283.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	32249

Name:	IMG_2282.jpg