Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-07-2015, 11:10 AM   #41

Beating a dead horse may also be illegal in some States (not in Canada, as I understand it).
Over and out....

2020 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak Titanium
2013 Eagle 29.5RKS (traded in)
2013 Ford 6.7L diesel F350
Cosmik Debris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 11:34 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_Arvee View Post
..... I was surprised my them having multi channel as well as sub-channels for more secure talk. .....
Just to clarify.....

Those "sub channels" (a misleading term) are not secure. It only blocks you from having to hear transmissions from others on the same channel. When using this feature you will only hear users on the same channel and the same "sub channel".

Anyone who is on your channel and is not using the "sub channel" feature can hear whatever you say.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 07:18 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hattie View Post
Searched the forum - didn't find a comparable suggestion for an improved back-up experience. We just got a new TV with all the bells-and-whistles, including pairing with smart phones for hands-free. How about the spotter dialing-in to the driver so the call goes to their TV speaker then 'talk them into' the spot? Heading off in two weeks for our first outing with the new TV so will try this out because our problems with other solutions include [1] Walkie-talkie: never remember to test it ahead of time; [2] Yelling: forget to open the window (especially in bad weather) and really don't want the campsite neighbors to overhear what may degrade into bickering and sniping after a stressful drive; [3] Hand-signals: not always visible in rear mirror and you can guess which gesture becomes our favorite.
We used to use the FRS radio for backing up with DW as the spotter. The batteries were always dead. We are 2 days into a 2 week 2000 mile trip where we are using cellphones when backing up. DW calls my cellphone which connects to the Bluetooth though my radio so I can be hands free while backing up. So far our method is working great.

2012 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4x4 5.7 Hemi 4.10
2015 Jayco Eagle 284BHBE
2009 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 256RKS
2007 Jayflight 20BH
1997 Fleetwood Cheyenne PUP
1984 Rockwood 1080 - PUP 1969 Coleman PUP
gcloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 07:31 PM   #44
Site Team

Quote:
[2] Yelling: forget to open the window (especially in bad weather) and really don't want the campsite neighbors to overhear what may degrade into bickering and sniping after a stressful drive; [3] Hand-signals: not always visible in rear mirror and you can guess which gesture becomes our favorite.
Does this really happen? I'm able to back in to any site with minimal assistance. There's no yelling, no special hand signals, just a quick survey of the site ahead of time and then we back in.

2007 Jayco Feather 19H
2008 Ford Explorer SportTrac
Snake Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 07:48 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
Does this really happen? I'm able to back in to any site with minimal assistance. There's no yelling, no special hand signals, just a quick survey of the site ahead of time and then we back in.
Have you ever backed up a TT and TV 56 feet in length?

2015 Jayco Eagle 284BHBE
2007 Jayflight 20BH
Old 06-07-2015, 09:36 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcloss View Post
Have you ever backed up a TT and TV 56 feet in length?
Yup, that's just about our length, and with the Equalizer it backs into the site we used to have in the Phoenix area that was on a narrow park street. Just takes practice and, yes, a spotter helps a lot. Me and DW sometimes trade roles in RV parks. Of course, she has a couple million miles of driving in her past.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 09:44 PM   #47

Some practice before you leave home would go a long way. Amazing how many folks have no idea how to back up an RV, be it TT, 5r, Class C or Pop Up, they pull too far to the wrong side, don't pull far enough past the sight, turn the wheel the wrong way. Plus, they rarely want to take suggestions instead yelling "I know how to back it in" and you come back half hour later they are still trying to get into there sight. Go to an empty parking lot and practice backing and turning, get use to turn radius etc before you leave on your trip.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 09:48 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
Ahhh, and you are at 788+ posts ... so you have plenty of experience under your belt. We're still getting our sea-legs; just last October we graduated from a tent trailer to our current set-up and it takes some getting used to. I must say, having a campground audience making observations with beer-in-hand certainly adds a layer of tension. To be honest, it really isn't that bad ... just adding some humor (and combining what we see coming from many neighboring campsites).

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 04:15 AM   #49
Site Team

We use walkie talkies by Motorola. Bought many years ago real cheap. Just used for backing and a bag of spare AA batts if they are needed.(you always need a supply of spare batteries).
I back, she watches and makes comments about distance to tree that I can't see and such. I get out and look if needed.

Works for us.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 05:20 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by cekkk View Post
Yup, that's just about our length, and with the Equalizer it backs into the site we used to have in the Phoenix area that was on a narrow park street. Just takes practice and, yes, a spotter helps a lot. Me and DW sometimes trade roles in RV parks. Of course, she has a couple million miles of driving in her past.
I agree with you 100% ... my post was in response to the guy who boasts about not needing a spotter when he backs up, but of course he has a 19' TT and a Ford SUV. This is quite a difference from a 3/4 or 1 ton truck with a 34+ft TT combo.

I've been RVing for 34 years and on my 6th trailer. I place it safe and always have a spotter. Never backed into anything or hit anything thanks to having a spotter.

2015 Jayco Eagle 284BHBE
2007 Jayflight 20BH
Old 06-08-2015, 05:48 AM   #51

We use the cell phone trick all the time for even more than spotting. Ok I'm about to turn on the water let me know if you see or hear any water leaking, or hey I'm on the roof and forgot x please toss it up.

Beats yelling, we prefer to watch the entertainment from others than to be the entertainment.
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 06:06 AM   #52
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy-Beast View Post
We use the cell phone trick all the time for even more than spotting.
Beats yelling, we prefer to watch the entertainment from others than to be the entertainment.
X2
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 07:29 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
We use walkie talkies by ...snip.. (Midland)
I back, she watches and makes comments about distance to tree that I can't see and such. I get out and look if needed.
Works for us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy-Beast View Post
We use the ...snip... (walkie talkies) all the time for even more than spotting. ...snip...
Also when one (usually DW) takes the dogs for a walk and the other (usually me) stays near the camp site. We usually have a cell connection, but not always.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 08:07 AM   #54

Since this oldish thread got revived, our system has changed. We used to use the radios, but like many others here, they're always dead, and sometimes I have batteries, and sometimes I don't. The problem is that they will always be dead since we use the radios so infrequently, and then they sit for a couple months in the hot truck.

So after MUCH practice, we have gotten to where we can use a couple hand signals (and no, I haven't been "number one" in a long time! and neither has she!). Granted, the first couple times were pretty tense, but we've got the hang of it now. Practice Practice Practice!

I usually pull up to a spot and get to where I think I'm lined up to enter the site and get out and look. I tell DW (my faithful spotter) about things I'm concerned about hitting or driving off of and where I would like the trailer to be, mostly she already knows, but we still talk about them. I remind her to stay where I can see her, and that if I can't see her, I will stop until I can see her (sometimes she needs to move to get a better look at something). If I get too close to hitting something, she is to YELL "STOP!!" regardless of the consequences or who it bothers and I will stop immediately.

This weekend she towed for the first time, and insisted that she could back the trailer into the driveway ("if you can do it, I can do it"). So after about 15 minutes of going back and forth in front of the house, I finally leaned over from the passenger seat and turned the wheel FOR her, and we finished up. I think it's important for BOTH parties to experience the others' position so you BOTH know what you're up against. This helps you direct each other better because you know what the other is seeing.

The biggest piece of advice I can give is SLOW DOWN. When I first started out, I was in some kind of hurry (I don't know why). Once I figured out to just take a deep breath and slow down, the whole process got A LOT easier for both of us. And in fact, because I slowed down, I can actually get it done FASTER because I have fewer mistakes to correct!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 08:20 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
This weekend she towed for the first time, and insisted that she could back the trailer into the driveway ("if you can do it, I can do it"). So after about 15 minutes of going back and forth in front of the house, I finally leaned over from the passenger seat and turned the wheel FOR her, and we finished up. I think it's important for BOTH parties to experience the others' position so you BOTH know what you're up against. This helps you direct each other better because you know what the other is seeing.
KUDOS! We've begun sharing the joy (towing, backing, set-up/tear-down, etc.) too, it has been a real confidence booster for me and makes for interesting conversations as we mosey down the road. I'm working on extending the joy to his learning the laundry, cleaning, cooking ... but it seems he always has something better to do.

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 10:27 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
snip...
We used to use the radios, but like many others here, they're always dead, and sometimes I have batteries, and sometimes I don't. The problem is that they will always be dead since we use the radios so infrequently, and then they sit for a couple months in the hot truck.
...snip
For anyone considering radios...
Our units came with a rechargeable battery pack with the ability to use AA batteries (either regular or rechargeable) plus the included charger uses either 120v AC or 12v (cigarette lighter plug). In short, lots of ways for us to be sure the radios aren't dead when we need them.

We leave our radios off unless we are using them. We've used them a couple of times for short durations to back in ('blindside' ) and it's been a month or more since they were charged; they are still virtually fully charged.

They've worked well for us.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 02:39 PM   #57

Quote:
I must say, having a campground audience making observations with beer-in-hand certainly adds a layer of tension. .
If I have trouble backing in or setting up or breaking camp, it's usually because someone has "volunteered" to help. DW and I have this. If I need help, I'll ask for it!
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2 way, campground, two way, walkie talkie