Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-14-2017, 10:16 PM   #1

Water dripping from underbelly when filling water tank

Hi all, new to the forum. Been checking out many informative threads, thanks to all for your contributions.

Well unfortunately my first post is about a possible leak in our brand new trailer ! Picked up our 2017 28BHBE in April and was dewinterizing today to get ready for our first outing next weekend! After filling the water tank for sanitizing, I notice 2 spots where water was dripping from the underbelly (locations are between the front tires closer to the door/fill side approximately 10" apart). After taking a closer look the water this dripping through the underbelly drain holes. Has anyone ever experienced this before? Is this normal? Does all excess water get directed to the overfill drains? Are there any vents in the tank? Is there any other possible way for water to accumulate at the underbelly other than a leaky fitting or cracked line?

Also, after draining and refilling to flush out the lines of bleach solution the same locations were dripping again.

Thanks, Data7
Data7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 12:35 AM   #2

does it only show up when the fresh tank has been filled to the top? If this is the case it could possibly be the vent lines are not connected properly at the top of the tank and they are leaking from that point.

Is it happening as your filling it and before its full? It could be the fill tube not connected properly in this instance.

Either way i would think its going to take having a proper look at it. It will be under warranty as its new.
Old 05-15-2017, 06:40 AM   #3

I am not familiar with that particular TT model, does it have a single or dual FW tanks?

There is a FW overflow pipe for each FW tank, the end of the pipe should extend down under the underbelly.

When I fill my FW tank, I fill it until water is gushing out of the overflow pipe, then it drips for a bit.

My first thought is a little water was leaking out of the FW tank overflow. But it really is important to verify, as you do not want wet and soggy insulation under the belly.

My recommendation is to fill the tank FULL, monitor as you are filling, to determine if water is dripping before you fully fill the tank, then monitor where the excess water exits the tt from., when the tank is full

Good luck, wish I was more help.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 10:38 AM   #4

Hi Higgy, Jagiven, when I was filling for the flush out I noticed it dripping before the tanks were full. Hmmm, signs are pointing to a loose or bad fitting or possibly a crack.

Jagiven, my model has 2 FW tanks so yes now that you mention it the 2 overfill drains must be for each tank.

Well this is not a good start to our TT experience, I'll have to contact the dealer.

Thank you for the replies.
Old 05-15-2017, 07:37 PM   #5

There will be a pipe connecting the two FW tanks together. Could be that one thats leaking. A definite visit to the dealer though.
Old 05-16-2017, 07:57 PM   #6

We have a 2016 Eagle 284BHBE and were concerned about a similar issue. After a more thorough discussion with dealer and technicians we were informed that what we were seeing was normal. It is not saturating the underbelly insulation, it's the way the venting and overflow is on that tank. Hope that helps and is the same situation.

2015.5 GMC 3500HD crew cab 4x4 D/A
2016 Jayco Eagle 284BHBE
270wsmhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 06:24 PM   #7

So just an update, picked up the trailer today from the dealer. Leak was coming from a faulty fill spin fitting located on top of the FW tank. All the wet insulation was also replaced after reinstalling the tank. Everything was tested and no more leak!

BTW, dropped off the trailer Monday evening and was ready late Tuesday, so good one on the dealer!

Also, the interior LED lights were replaced on recall.

Hi 27hunter, your tank could in fact be different than ours but maybe talk to your dealer again just to confirm.
Old 05-17-2017, 06:28 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Data7 View Post
So just an update, picked up the trailer today from the dealer. Leak was coming from a faulty fill spin fitting located on top of the FW tank. All the wet insulation was also replaced after reinstalling the tank. Everything was tested and no more leak!

Also, the interior LED lights were replaced on recall.
Sounds like you have a great dealer and it's good to hear they are already on the LED recall!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 07:37 PM   #9

Sounds to me like the 2 drain valves are open and as the tanks are filling, water starts running out. If I forget to close mine all the way after draining the tanks and start to fill them, I get reminded real quick as water starts running out of them.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote