Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-14-2013, 12:33 PM   #1

Water Leak Brand New 26 RLS

We picked up our unit from the dealer end of April 2013 and parked it at our seasonal site. When we picked it up we noticed some moisture on the bedroom floor near the exit door and on top of the right side night table/cabinet. We put it down to condensation from winter storage. When we went to the trailer yesterday we noticed the same thing, We had a severe rainfall this past week. It is obvious we have a leak somewhere in the right front quadrant of the trailer. Any suggestions as to where to start looking for the source? Thanks.
baltimorebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 01:37 PM   #2

The first place I would look is the gutters along the roof line. If there is any obstruction water will flow directly down the side of the unit into the first opening it can find. I had a similar problem and the water was entering through a door that allowed access to the back of the shower. Our unit is a 328 RLS. The next place I would look is the weep holes in the windows. At the bottom of the windows there are slots that allow rain water to exit the window. They also need to be completely clear. Good luck. It took us a few rain storms before we were able to isolate our leak.
MrNiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:56 PM   #3

Thanks Silverado for your advice, we're heading to the trailer in the morning and that will be the first things I'll check out.
Old 06-15-2013, 03:03 AM   #4

If it is brand new, the first place I would start would be the dealer!
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 06:14 AM   #5

That's a different story krackeer, I'm in the middle of "discussions" with the dealer and it's not going well.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:18 AM   #6

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
The front roof seam where the rubber meets the siding on the front, clearance lights, front left/right aluminum corner trim and any doors/windows.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by baltimorebear View Post
That's a different story krackeer, I'm in the middle of "discussions" with the dealer and it's not going well.
Why are some dealers so difficult to deal with with it comes to repairs that fall under warranty? Seem like I see these types of threads/comments alot when trying to get an issue resolved. Hope things work out for you and get EVERYTHING documented on paper with the dealer/Jayco about your issue incase it comes back down the road.
exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 09:29 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

They should be able to rain test it at the dealer.

You can also use the sprinkle to make it rain if your troubleshooting at home.

Good luck with everything.

Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 07:52 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by exjay1 View Post
Why are some dealers so difficult to deal with with it comes to repairs that fall under warranty? Seem like I see these types of threads/comments alot when trying to get an issue resolved. Hope things work out for you and get EVERYTHING documented on paper with the dealer/Jayco about your issue incase it comes back down the road.
Your response is why buying "locally only" doesn't hold water with me. I've had better service from a dealer in Michigan (Terrytown) then the local yahoo's. Another option is a local independent repair facility; I have pre-authorized warranty work and had good success with the quality of repair. Jayco sent me some trim pieces and I installed them myself.
Old 06-16-2013, 07:46 PM   #10

Turns out there is only a 90 day warranty on caulking and sealing from Jayco. We bought our unit last fall and didn't pick it up until April 30 2013. I had it written in our sales agreement that the warranty didn't kick in until the pick up date, however the dealer didn't upgrade his warranty date on his records and hence the "discussion". It would appear that part of the problem has been resolved and we are still under the limited 90 day warranty. I will now try to deal with a Jayco dealer closer to where the trailer is, hopefully we can get it fixed and back to enjoying our trailer. I'm not an expert but I got up on the roof and it looks like the caulking between the roof edge and the wall edge is pulled back/peeled in 3-4 areas where the leaking has taken place.
Old 06-16-2013, 09:27 PM   #11

I believe that warranty doesn't start until you take possession not on your sign date. It is not unusually for people to buy a trailer over the winter months and leave it at the dealer until spring and then the warranty starts.

66 nights in 2016
61 nights in 2015
Derek700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 04:44 PM   #12

I thought the Jayco warranty was two years?

2010 Jayflight 29RLS
2006 Ford F-250 Superduty 6.0 diesel
Equalizer hitch

Recondite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:03 PM   #13

Sorry Recondite, but it wasn't until I read the fine print that I found out about the caulking and sealing. I assumed the same thing, the Jayco warranty covers everything else for 2 years. The most potential damaging problem is water and it is only covered for 90 days from the time you pick it up from the dealer. "Caviar Emptor" (let the buyer be aware). This will be a big test to see how Jayco handles this situation and I will keep everyone posted.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:09 PM   #14

Anything that requires preventative maintance isn't covered in the 2 yrs, nor are OEM items that have their own warranty.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:12 PM   #15

Very informative thread. I was not aware of the 90 day only warranty on caulking, nor anything that requires owner maintenance!!! Looks like if you get a POS your are SOL.
My 2009 32BHDS is at Jayco in Middlebury, IN, for inplant repair work for water damage. Will pick it up next week and am anxious to see the quality of the repair work. Jayco agreed to do the repair on their nickle if I delivered the unit. It will cost me approximately $1,700.00 for the delivery and pick up of the unit. 3,600 total miles to deliver and pick up the unit. I'm pretty happy about the deal if they do good quality work. My insurance estimated (which my insurance didn't cover) $8k plus for the damage. My recommendation is to stay on the good side with your dealer and let them deal with Jayco. If that doesn't work, go directly to Jayco and be prepared to get an initial brush off. You have to be reserved in dealing with Jayco customer service. I think Jayco would rather have someone onboard as a "Good Will Ambassador" than not. The way it worked for me was, I sent pictures to my dealer and the dealer forwarded them to Jayco. Jayco initial response was, out of warranty, no coverage. My reply to my dealer was that was totally unacceptable. My dealer went back to Jayco and called me back and said that Jayco would repair the damage if I delivered the unit. Hopefully the entire experience will be pleasant. Had a good feeling after dropping off the unit and meeting a couple of the Jayco customer service rep's.
mohok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:58 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwebber78 View Post
Your response is why buying "locally only" doesn't hold water with me. I've had better service from a dealer in Michigan (Terrytown) then the local yahoo's. Another option is a local independent repair facility; I have pre-authorized warranty work and had good success with the quality of repair. Jayco sent me some trim pieces and I installed them myself.
Looks like you may be re-thinking your statement about "buying locally" especially after reading your post about your door lock problems??
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:04 AM   #17

Not really... I'd buy a different brand first, I have a great relationship with the local repair and parts place. Before this Jayco no other brand had an issue with independent repair dealers, so it's definitely a Jayco hang up. RVDirect is going to ship me the part for the door, the same way they did for the missing trim and ripped linoleum. It will take longer but for the money I saved over the nearest Jayco dealer (not sure how they call a dealer in another state to me local) I'm still several thousand dollars ahead.

Are you under the impression that just because a dealer is local they MUST provide good service and sales????
Old 07-06-2013, 08:39 PM   #18

Well here is the latest twist to my warranty saga, I contacted the closest Jayco dealer who is 40 km's away as compared to where I bought it which is around 140 km's. The nearest dealer informed me that since I didn't buy it from them, they needed a $250.00 "admin fee" before they would even look at it. After a lot of complaining, the original dealer has agreed to hire a RV service person near me to have a look at my water leak problem. It will be interesting to see if there are any out of pocket expenses after this is taken care of.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:24 AM   #19

A 250 dollar admin fee. That just sucks. I would never buy a thing from this dealer. Not even a screw. Not only did I take my trailer to a different dealer but also to a different country and had no problem. They fixed the problems I had all under warranty and would return it there again if I needed more work. Hope your leak issue gets resolved to your satisfaction .
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote