Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-24-2016, 01:52 PM   #1

Water Leaking from Under Trailer!!

Our 6th night out in our new trailer and this morning noticed water dripping from the black fabric underneath the trailer. Got under it and cut a small slit in the fabric where the drip was coming from and soapy water came pouring out. The insulation is all wet in the area. Went inside and took off the cover near the floor for the shower and while I can't find a drip, the insulation under the P trap for the share is soaked. I moved insulation out of the way and have run water hoping to find the source. Can't see a drip. All of the plumbing for kitchen and bath sink seem to converge in this area and much of it I cannot see so suspect a leak somewhere in that zone. Aaarrgghh. What a mess. Am taking it back to dealer in the morning. I assume wise to want all of the wet insulation removed and replaced and to have the wood dried out well. I assume it has leaked since we got it but this is the first trip where the shower got a decent amount of use. The floor of the shower flexs a bit which causes the piping to flex a bit as well. Perhaps I have to be standing in the shower for the leak to show up?? Really frustrating. I was already taking it in for a water heater issue (won't stay lit) and a furnace issue (won't light at all) and now this. Not too thrilled today with Jayco quality assurance....
suzhou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 02:36 PM   #2

What did they build it on a Friday night before superbowl ? I feel your pain. This is 3 times too much to expect
robert9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 02:48 PM   #3

Did you let the grey tank get too full? I don't think the vent is glued into the tank so water may have come out of that connection.
Old 05-24-2016, 03:04 PM   #4

I've emptied it when it got to 2/3 or full yesterday but wouldn't think it could leak or get water into the sub floor? Plus being so wet right under the shower. Where does the grey tank over flow anyway? Doesn't it have an overflow hose under the trailer? Plus, even with grey water tank empty water continues to accumulate and flow out.
Old 05-24-2016, 03:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzhou View Post
Where does the grey tank over flow anyway? Doesn't it have an overflow hose under the trailer?
No overflow. Water would come out the vent connection on top of the tank if it's not glued or clamped. They are not designed to get that full.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 03:28 PM   #6

Any way to see or get access to the overflow tube? I've looked but see no access point.
Old 05-25-2016, 08:17 AM   #7

I've allowed our grey tank to fill a couple times. Water backed up into the shower. No problem elsewhere.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 08:25 AM   #8

I've kept the grey water tank close to empty since discovering the leak. Fresh water still appears to be accumulating and coming out. Not a lot but still coming. The area under the shower is staying wet but I cannot locate a source. Limited space to feel around under the plumbing and cannot find a dripping pipe or connection. I've exhausted my ability to find it without removing more than I want to on a unit still under warrant so, going back to the dealer today on our way home from the campsite. I'm less concerned about the actual leak - stuff happens on a new trailer, house, etc. More concerned about all the wet insulation, how much got wet and how it all gets replaced underneath.
Old 05-25-2016, 08:52 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
No overflow. Water would come out the vent connection on top of the tank if it's not glued or clamped. They are not designed to get that full.
Grey water will overflow into the shower tub and/or kitchen sink (depending on number of grey water tanks -- I have 2 in my current TT). I've witnessed this on both my TT's (19H and 28DSBH).

Unless something is not connected properly, which sounds to be the case here.

2014 White Hawk 28DSBH
2012 F150 EcoBoost MaxTow (2022 F150 PowerBoost on order)
Reese 1200 WDH / Dual Cam Sway Control
dmward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 08:57 AM   #10

What model trailer do you have? Water can travel quite a ways before showing up at a place you can see it. The shower mite not be the culprit. Hard to tell unless you can get allot of light in the underbelly and look at everything. Is the shower p-trap a glue or knuckle joint? If knuckle joint, nut might be loose. Many possibilities.
Air-Lift bags
DCN-TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 09:12 AM   #11

Sounds like the shower drain connection is leaking. I've heard of folks having a problem with that particular connection and it very well may be worse when someone is actually in the shower causing the shower floor to flex.
Hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 06:26 PM   #12

It's a 265RLSW. I decided to go ahead and use the shower last night to test. Still no drip or water from the shower P trap that I could find. I've installed and fiixed more than a few P traps in my house and know they can be prone to leak if not aligned right or tight. This one seems fine. No drips. The water could be coming from a long way away and just finding this spot as the lowest collection area. Like a leak in your roof - it may we far away from the puddle in your attic. Dropped it off at the dealer service center today so they can work on the leak, the water heater, the furnace AND another leak I noticed on the bedside table top after driving it there in a very heavy rain. They have a long list to work on...
Old 07-04-2016, 09:47 AM   #13

Picked up my trailer from the service shop/dealer this week. Pulled it directly to the storage lot so have not had a chance to try it out yet. They ended up replacing the temp switch in the water heater and found the power wire not connected on the furnace. Main problem - water leaking under the trailer, was fixed by replacing the water lines under the floor. Repair note says "found water line under floor runs over top of grey tank, removed grey tank to replace water line. They used a lot of 1/2" tubing so hope they got it. Going to take another nearby trip to test out before we make along haul.

Lesson learned - if you can fix it yourself and not impact your warranty, do it. It took a month to get it fixed and it's not like taking a drill back to Lowe's, it's a hassle and a 45 minute drive. I enjoy fixing things so looks like I will have something to do.