Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-29-2016, 04:35 PM   #1

Water Leaks

To set the stage: Bought new 2009 32BHDS Jay Flight G2 Feb 2010. Date of Manufacture Oct 2008. Unit is approaching 8yrs. My 1st Aluminum Sided TT. Jayco (I was 1 yr out of warranty) rebuilt the front end top to bottom all new metal and wood frame work in July 2013 due to concealed water damage. Their nickle, the only cost to me was delivery and pick up in Middleburg, IN, from Manning, SC. 2 R/Ts. Approx $900.00. Was treated wonderfully by Jayco Staff. If anyone is wondering how I got the repair 1 year out of warranty, I provided my dealer with photos of the damage after I removed a good bit of lunan to reveal the extend of the damage. Between the dealer and myself and my refusal to accept the 1st brush off, Jayco relented and offered the deal upon my delivery. I was extremely pleased with an in-plant repair vice a dealer repair.

That being said, I just bought a Digital Moister Meter from Amazon ($16.00) and wouldn't you know it, found leaks and water damage (98% moisture) in the front right side bottom corner and the rear right side bottom corner. Up front in the stowage compartment and clothes closet in the bedroom, I cut the lunan open (box cutter) to reveal the corner upright framing and back side of the metal. Same procedure in the stowage compartment in the rear.

I removed the vinyl strip that covers the screws that holds the outside metal flashing strip. I started at the bottom backing out screws until I found where there were screws that did not have any rust on them and assumed the leaks were below that spot. On the inside where I opend the lunan I have shoved wixs (small pieces of paper towel) between the metal and the wood struts and can't determine where the leaks are coming from or how far up they start.

I have checked the caulking where the roof and the front metal join and the flashing on the front and side of the flashing strip and all the seams appear to be holding. Same procedure for the rear.

Stumped, to say the least. Anyone out there chasing leaks on Aluminum Sided TT? I intend to dig out all the old cauking that I can and recaulk all the flashing. All I can say at this point is, it ain't no fun. Any ideas???
mohok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 03:30 PM   #2

Leaks

Update to my original post: Have isolated the leaks. It appears that where the seams meet the corner struts is the problem on the Aluminum TT's. After determining the source, I dug out as much of the caulking as possible and re caulked the flashing top to bottomed forcing as much up in the corner seams (where the meatl is joined) as possible. I believe if you stop the water from reaching the end of the metal, that will take care of any leaks. Remains to be seen. I had the opportunity to view an in plant repair facility from another manufacturer. I was in the repair facility and saw approx 15 units in various stage of repair. 13 of the in were in for water damage. Go figure.

I'm kinda curious that there have no reply's to my thread. I must be the only one that has a leaky unit (one area was repaired by Jayco in 2013) and I found one leak in the area they repaired.
mohok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 06:14 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohok1 View Post
Update to my original post: Have isolated the leaks. It appears that where the seams meet the corner struts is the problem on the Aluminum TT's. After determining the source, I dug out as much of the caulking as possible and re caulked the flashing top to bottomed forcing as much up in the corner seams (where the meatl is joined) as possible. I believe if you stop the water from reaching the end of the metal, that will take care of any leaks. Remains to be seen. I had the opportunity to view an in plant repair facility from another manufacturer. I was in the repair facility and saw approx 15 units in various stage of repair. 13 of the in were in for water damage. Go figure.

I'm kinda curious that there have no reply's to my thread. I must be the only one that has a leaky unit (one area was repaired by Jayco in 2013) and I found one leak in the area they repaired.

I'm impressed that you have a moisture meter. I've never thought of that. You're right: it ain't no fun chasing water problems. ALL RVers have some anxiety over water intrusion, or blind water leaks from plumbing.

It sounds like you caught this in time. The jayflight even from 2008 I assume uses stick studs and stick floor joists. This means you will (eventually) find some good dry structure to scab your repairs to.

Good luck and God Speed... we'll all be in your boat eventually. RVs are just ticking time bombs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew 4x4 Duramax
ctbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 02:48 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohok1 View Post

I'm replacing the congolium flooring in my Jay flight RLS 28. Bought it new in 2006. I found two water spots on my floors in the back of the TT. One under a window by main entrance door and the other opposite wall in the corner.
Have you priced out what it would cost to have a shop do the caulking.
My knees are shot and two artificial hips.
okis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 02:55 PM   #5

Uh,

Okis, this thread is three years old. Chances are, Mohok won't see it. You might be better off starting a new thread with your good question.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 07:10 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murff View Post
Uh,

Okis, this thread is three years old. Chances are, Mohok won't see it. You might be better off starting a new thread with your good question.

Murff
Thank You
okis is offline   Reply With Quote