Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-14-2015, 06:40 AM   #11
How many people? Kids? Teenagers? Dogs? It depends on your personal tolerance level! We 50/50 boondock/drycamp and hookup (both full and partial=no sewer). I'm personally not so tolerant and MUST have a daily shower (just me); but in all cases, we're much more H2O conservative than when home - that plus fresh/gray/black tank size determines your degree of independence:
  • Cooking/Drinking: we always bring gallon jugs filled with home water, and we brew lots of tea. The jugs and our fresh water tank are all water softened; with hookups we use an inline softener.
  • Showers: not as frequently and they are always military by using the on/off toggle added to the nozzle, purchase bottles of pre-combined shampoo/ conditioner/ bodywash, use campground/local facilities or go elsewhere else (gym visit, pool/swim-park, creek/lake swim, once even stood under a waterfall!), and finally if all else fails - consider a quick sponge bath using a pre-moistened towelette (don't flush it) and some strong deodorant or perfume. If you are where it rains heavily AND in an isolated location - have biodegradable soap ready and step-out au-natural!
  • Toilet: have a waste-tote, rely on campground or local facilities, optionally add to your supplies a marine or composting toilet.
  • Other: our TT came with LED lights, we have 2 Honda generators (provides full power to include running air conditioner) and sufficient gas [know the hours you can/can't run them], make sure you have full propane tanks, consider switching-out powered items to 12-volt (e.g., TV), how about solar? Know your energy footprint.

"I just go where I'm towed to"

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
2015 White Hawk 25BHS w/Outdoor Kitchen
2015 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD Z71/4x4 Duramax
Son's 2016 Ford F-150 Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 + gifted 1984 Coleman Sequoia Tent Trailer
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 09:47 AM   #12
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
I appreciate all of your responses. What helpful people! Since you seem to have knowledge, I'd like to ask a broader question:

What would I need to purchase (in addition to the Jayco Feather SLX 19XUD such that I could use the trailer as a home for periods of time?

Assume we'd like to stay in it for a week or two, maybe even three. It will not be in a place with any hookups of any kind. But it will be in an isolated place (in the woods).

We've been told things like "inverter", generator, extra water tanks, 7 gallon propane tank instead of the standard 5, and maybe even two of those instead of one, ...

I've researched generators, but having a hard time figuring what we'd need. (For example, if we did get a generator, what kind would we need? How long would it run our air conditioner, fridge, tv, and computers before we need to refill it with gas? Would a propane generator be better? Are those quieter?)

Can we buy a back up water heater to get more volume of hot water? (I didn't understand the response indicating that we can run the hot water heater on both propane and electric to get more hot water).

Thank you for any replies.
As others have said, boondocking is an entirely different kettle of fish.
First off, if you intend to do a lot of boondocking, you may want to look at a different travel trailer. While the one you are considering sleeps a lot of people (how many adults and kids will you have?), it is VERY small on the Fresh Water (26 gallon), Gray water (15 gallons), and Black water (9 gallon) capacity. Even with the most stringent water conservation measures, you will NOT be able to stay out very long (probably only a matter of days) with that small capacity.
I realize you are probably looking to get a TT that is small and light so that you can tow it with your existing Tow Vehicle, but you might want to look for something with at least 60/30/30 gallon capacity if you are thinking of boondocking. (And larger on all tanks is better) That blackwater tank is going to be the biggest problem. Nine gallons isn't much, especially if you have more than 2 people, which I assume you do based on the sleeping capacity of your Hybrid.

dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote