Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-28-2015, 10:10 PM   #1

Wax on, wax off

We have a new 2016 Eagle and am new to the fiberglass siding. How often should I wax? And, are the wash + wax combo products as good as good old fashion paste?
Lessmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 04:09 AM   #2

The wash/wax combo products have a place, but IMO are no replacement for good old fashioned paste. I wax the entire TT twice a year (spring and fall) using a good paste wax, and use a wash/wax combo when cleaning in between. Depending on travel, I'll sometimes add a third coat of paste wax to the front cap as it really helps get the bugs off.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 08:44 AM   #3

I do mine once a year but I do use the wash/wax liquid when I wash it which is before every trip which is usually once a month.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once
joe in calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 09:12 AM   #4

I hate waxing even my truck, so the htt has never been waxed.

I usually wash the htt, after every trip. I have tried a few different car washes. So far I like McGuire's wash/wax combo. It's ok, nothing special, but it seams to works.

It still looks as good as new.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 11:00 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelly View Post
The wash/wax combo products have a place, but IMO are no replacement for good old fashioned paste. I wax the entire TT twice a year (spring and fall) using a good paste wax, and use a wash/wax combo when cleaning in between. Depending on travel, I'll sometimes add a third coat of paste wax to the front cap as it really helps get the bugs off.
x2 almost to a T.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 06:40 PM   #6

I had been paste waxing the cars and boats for 45 years. Usually need twice a year - you can tell when the wax has lost its umph.

Five years ago switched to McGuires QuiK wax. Itys spray on / wipe off. Even in a bad snow / salt environment after a year the wax is still effective. Never had a paste last so long.

I can do my car in 20 minutes. It took me 30 minutes to do the entire Jayco. That was the first time for the trailer, so I guess the verdict isnt in yet.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 07:16 PM   #7

I use the camco wash/wax and it does a good job.But for wax I use Meguiars NXT wax.My trailer is 37ft long and quite a pain to wax so I do it in portions over a few days to give my arms a rest.But now that its done when it gets wet you can really see it bead up and leaves a nice smooth finish.I am one of those that washed their car once a week and waxes 2x a year so I am picky with products but the Meguiars has done great for me.I don't prefer the spray wax as they can leave a haze and sometimes require more rubbing than if you just had waxed it,but that's my opinion,others like the spray wax

2015 Jayco Eagle Premier 314BHDS

IBEW local 94 Electrical Worker
314BHDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 08:07 PM   #8

I give it a wash first, then ProtectAll for me twice a year.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 10:12 PM   #9

30 mn to wax your trailer !! Really ? You must use all limb with 4 buffers ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsmjim View Post
I had been paste waxing the cars and boats for 45 years. Usually need twice a year - you can tell when the wax has lost its umph.

Five years ago switched to McGuires QuiK wax. Itys spray on / wipe off. Even in a bad snow / salt environment after a year the wax is still effective. Never had a paste last so long.

I can do my car in 20 minutes. It took me 30 minutes to do the entire Jayco. That was the first time for the trailer, so I guess the verdict isnt in yet.

Ford F 150 Ecoboost Tow Max 3.73 2014

Equalizer hitch 1000/10000
homer1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 11:41 PM   #10

I am fairly new to TT, so my 07 only washed 2x since got it a year ago an it seems to wash off paint like crazy. Is this abnormal? Washed 1/2 and the soapy water looked like whitewash. When camping soon I'm going to try waxing. It looks OK but wow does it chalk up. Trying add pictures.
Old 08-30-2015, 03:23 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkdaddy View Post
I am fairly new to TT, so my 07 only washed 2x since got it a year ago an it seems to wash off paint like crazy. Is this abnormal? Washed 1/2 and the soapy water looked like whitewash. When camping soon I'm going to try waxing. It looks OK but wow does it chalk up. Trying add pictures.
Keeps locking up Attachment 19904
Old 08-30-2015, 08:24 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 314BHDS View Post
I use the camco wash/wax and it does a good job.But for wax I use Meguiars NXT wax.My trailer is 37ft long and quite a pain to wax so I do it in portions over a few days to give my arms a rest.But now that its done when it gets wet you can really see it bead up and leaves a nice smooth finish.I am one of those that washed their car once a week and waxes 2x a year so I am picky with products but the Meguiars has done great for me.I don't prefer the spray wax as they can leave a haze and sometimes require more rubbing than if you just had waxed it,but that's my opinion,others like the spray wax
Dad was a Simoniz kinda guy and so was I. Later switched to cleaner waxes like Rally or Turtle Wax. Neither would provide long lasting performance in a salt environment. Besides, after waxing the cloth would be the same color as the car.

I like the spray on wax better now because it doesn't seem to take paint off, while the car is still as shiny as new. Most of all, though, I'm lazy and that 20 minute job with no buffing gives me more time to realx and have a beer....:-)

My cars are midnight blue, tan and maroon. No haze, no buffing. I guess subsquent washes "polish" anything that might be left. Now, we just bought a new Waverunner that is metallic black. That one DOES show a haze and neds a follow-up with a dry rag.
Old 08-30-2015, 08:31 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1959 View Post
30 mn to wax your trailer !! Really ? You must use all limb with 4 buffers ;-)
This was the first year with the RV. I used a sponge mop with a spray bleach cleaner to clean off the few streaks we had at window edges, gutters, etc. After it all dried I used the spray on QuikWax.

Its simple - spray on and wipe off with a cotton rag. No buffing needed. The high side of the trailer sits next to benched and a side porch, so I can easily reach all the way to the gutter. The low side is reachable without any help. The only place I needed a ladder was the front, and then it only needed to be moved once.

The back of the trailer was the easiest. Spray, spray, spray maybe 15 times. and then wipe, wipe, wipe from the top down. I bet it only took me 3 minutes to finish it.

See my other posts about the spray on wax. Beads up for a year and shines bright.

Note that my trailer is only 19 feet long.
Old 08-30-2015, 08:34 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkdaddy View Post
Sounds like some serious paint oxidation. A waxed trailer shouldn't do that as long as there is wax on the surface.

Old cars were like that, but not so much any more because of the clearcoat.
Old 08-30-2015, 08:38 PM   #15

Dirkdaddy, if that '07 was allowed to oxidize over its lifetime, waxing over it won't cut it. If you PM me I should be able to give you some professional advice (not from me).
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 08:50 PM   #16

Thanks folks. I sent the PM, will take suggestions.

Well it really for age looks pretty darn good, I'm having some issues now with tapatalk photos, otherwise I'd show a picture. I get a lot of compliments on the TT and folks think its newer than it is, despite not being babied at all and TX sunshine 365 yr. I was really wondering about the white running off the TT when I washed it, I have a picture of water running down the curb that looks white.

The outside is blemish free except for the rear Jayco sticker coming off top right. Its needed other work so I hadn't really thought about it much except twice now when washing.

Willing to try something to keep it looking good.
Old 08-30-2015, 08:54 PM   #17

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1440989645912.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	293.3 KB
ID:	19923
Old 08-30-2015, 08:57 PM   #18

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1440989777092.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	19924

Wash water from spraying off soapy water from light wash.
Old 09-01-2015, 10:13 PM   #19

Advice was to use a cleaner type wax, buffing in on application and to finish it. Sounds good.
Old 09-16-2015, 02:09 PM   #20

This is advice from a friend whose business is cleaning Snowbirds' trailers:

Step 1, for a gel coat that is badly oxidized, use oxidation remover, Meguires or 3m, with a wool pad and buffer.

Do a 3x3 section, then wipe/damp rag asap. A booger to remove if it dries up.

Step 2, wax with a regular pad & dual action orbital polisher.

For clear coat, do NOT use an oxidation remover. Just power wash, then wax with regular pad & dual action orbital polisher.

He mentioned that the cap fading on clear coats is no better than with gel coat. I'm wondering if Jayco's 2 year warranty applies here or not.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote