Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-02-2015, 05:16 PM   #1

WD mounts

On the tongue of my TT, the WD mount on the drivers side keeps sliding forward. I move it back to where it's suppose to be. Equal to the passenger side. On the bolt, how tight is too tight? Should I get the torque wrench out? I tightened it more than usual with a small adjustable wrench.
Also I think the dealer over sold me on the WD hitch setup. I noticed today that the spring bars are rated for 1200lbs for a 19 foot TT!!!
lodiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 06:20 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodiguy View Post
On the tongue of my TT, the WD mount on the drivers side keeps sliding forward. I move it back to where it's suppose to be. Equal to the passenger side. On the bolt, how tight is too tight? Should I get the torque wrench out? I tightened it more than usual with a small adjustable wrench.
Also I think the dealer over sold me on the WD hitch setup. I noticed today that the spring bars are rated for 1200lbs for a 19 foot TT!!!
I can't speak to the 1200lb spring bars. As far as I know, that may have the potential to make a harsher ride, but would not compromise safety.

A small adjustable wrench is not adequate. I used standard length combination box end/open end wrenches and tightened the bolts very tight (not as tight as I could, but close). I'm sure they were 'under tight' as compared to a torque wrench. Sometimes the brackets would twist out of vertical, but they did not move closer or further away from the ball.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 07:22 PM   #3

I occasionally check mine the correct torque is 65-75 ft lbs., and I do use the torque wrench. Good luck.
Cheddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 09:02 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodiguy View Post
On the tongue of my TT, the WD mount on the drivers side keeps sliding forward.....snip
If you could provide the Brand and Model of WDH you have it will help in confirming the mounting style of your particular WDH.

If you have a standard WDH, it sounds like you are referring to the snap-up bracket that is mounted over the top of the TT's A-frame. The single set-screw (bolt) on the snap-up should only be tightened 1/4 turn, 1/2 turn maximum....., over tightening may compromise the integrity of the snap-up bracket.

Set screw and self tapping screw installation (page 5):

http://www.reeseprod.com/content/dow...ion/n66022.pdf

Snap-up bracket:

IMO most standard WDH's when properly sized/adjusted the snap-up brackets shouldn't move (during TV turns). In cases where loaded tongue weights exceed 1,200lbs bolting the snap-up bracket to the TT's A-frame is highly recommended.

NOTE: Reese's standard WDH's instructions recommends attaching the snap-up bracket to the TT A-frame with a self tapping screw.

There is a good chance your WDH hasn't been adjusted correctly for your TV/TT under loaded conditions, and the over-rated 1,200b spring bars may compound the problem.

If you have a "Equal-i-zer" brand WDH, a snap-up bracket isn't utilized with this product. In this case the L-brackets may not be installed/torqued correctly. IMO the 1,200lb rated springs bars may also be over kill for your application.

Equal-i-zer WDH installation instructions (L-brackets, etc.):

http://www.equalizerhitch.com/pdf/EQOwnersManual.pdf

Check your 19ft TT's A-frame for any stickers that may limit the size of WDH utilized...., some have a 1,000lb maximum due to light frame construction.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 09:36 PM   #5

Please disregard my earlier post on this topic and read Rustic Eagle's post. His response was more accurate: Securing the brackets depends upon your hitch and there could be issues related to the trailer frame and WDH.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 09:44 PM   #6

Adjust the amount of tension correctly and 1200# bars are fine. 1200 is max, my 1200# bars have a range of 600 to 1200#. It all depends on the angle of the hitch head.
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 10:05 PM   #7

Ps- the remarks above regarding correct torque ratings are for the E-qual-izer brand hitch.
Cheddy is offline   Reply With Quote