Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-13-2015, 02:18 PM   #1

WDH setup question

We picked up our RV from storage today to get it prepared for a trip this weekend. I was able to get one more chain link on my spring bars. I have zero sag or lifting on the front wheels, the wheel well measurements is 35.5" unhitched and hitched. Rear wheel well is 36.25 inches hitched, 37.5" unhitched.

These numbers seem pretty good to me. I'd like to have a little more lift on the rear axle, but I think the only way to achieve that is to get air bags.

I snapped this pic on a relatively level stretch of road near home. Does this look pretty level?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2376.jpg  
Old 08-13-2015, 02:29 PM   #2
DEM

You have it set up right, don't change anything. Looks good.
Nor any drop to drink.
DEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 02:36 PM   #3

From my phone it looks very good. Nice thing about the chain style setup, you can adjust the number of links really easily, and try a little more or less tension.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 05:01 PM   #4

Tylersdad,
This looks good just remember your added weights like if your filling your water tanks or adding to the truck bed. WDH as you know isn't all there is too it. The payloads have to be distributed evenly as well.
Jhnbggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 06:32 PM   #5

We don't put anything in the bed of the truck and we're out of room in the front storage, so the only thing that could impact it is the weight of my wife, son and me...about 370 lbs.
Old 08-13-2015, 06:37 PM   #6

Looks good to me....
fielro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 09:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylersdad View Post
These numbers seem pretty good to me. I'd like to have a little more lift on the rear axle, but I think the only way to achieve that is to get air bags.
My WDH specifically says to have airbags inflated to the minimum when using their Blue Ox system. Your setup looks great (sharp trailer!), but it does seem odd that there is no drop in the front.

I have a relatively heavy hitch weight for a 1500, 800-900lb, and without WDH my rear drops ~1.5" and front lifts about ~0.5". When I engage the WDH the rear drops 0.5" and the front drops 0.5". It seems as if your setup is distributing the weight to trailer axles only, and not the front axle and trailer axles.

Do you feel any weirdness with your steering?
motorbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 09:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorbreath View Post
My WDH specifically says to have airbags inflated to the minimum when using their Blue Ox system. Your setup looks great (sharp trailer!), but it does seem odd that there is no drop in the front.

I have a relatively heavy hitch weight for a 1500, 800-900lb, and without WDH my rear drops ~1.5" and front lifts about ~0.5". When I engage the WDH the rear drops 0.5" and the front drops 0.5". It seems as if your setup is distributing the weight to trailer axles only, and not the front axle and trailer axles.

Do you feel any weirdness with your steering?

It did feel weird. With 2 links showing, the front drops an inch. With 3 links (as shown), the front has no sag at all. My WDH instructions say that there should be little sag on the front.

I am hoping to get rid of this hitch and have the dealer buy it back from me. I've had it two weeks and they have not been able to deliver the 2nd sway bar and haven't called me when they've promised to call me. I didn't even want this hitch--another story all together.

Thanks all for the advice.
Old 08-13-2015, 09:28 PM   #9

Quote:
It did feel weird. With 2 links showing, the front drops an inch. With 3 links (as shown), the front has no sag at all. My WDH instructions say that there should be little sag on the front.
Too bad about your dealer, I went with the most convenient option, which (in my opinion) is the Blue Ox hitch. Its built well and you can use any rating of bars with the same hitch head. Set-up and break-down is also relatively easy; regarding its performance, I have not used other WDHs so I will not comment other than it seems to do its job.

Originally I wanted Reese's WDH with sway control that seems to be an improvement on the Equalizer, you can find it here. It is just hard to find, its a relatively new product, and you need to buy an accessory kit for low slung couplers (like what Jayco uses).
Old 08-13-2015, 09:34 PM   #10

I've been looking closely at the Anderson.
Old 08-13-2015, 09:49 PM   #11

Quote:
I've been looking closely at the Anderson.
From what I have read, that seems like a great option for lower tongue weights. What you have to keep in mind is that by giving up the lever arms the Anderson hitch requires a large force on the chains parallel the ground and an equal/opposite large force on the ball/coupler.

I have no doubt that Anderson's ball assembly can handle that force, and it rotates with the coupler so there is no friction like a normal setup. The issue is that there is alot of force on the rear inside of the coupler, which some people claim have caused them problems when trying to decouple. Search "anderson hitch force diagram" and you will find the post that describes this, but I am sceptical of his description because his force "balance" shows that he has never heard of Newton's 3rd Law.
Old 08-13-2015, 11:17 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorbreath View Post
From what I have read, that seems like a great option for lower tongue weights. What you have to keep in mind is that by giving up the lever arms the Anderson hitch requires a large force on the chains parallel the ground and an equal/opposite large force on the ball/coupler.

I have no doubt that Anderson's ball assembly can handle that force, and it rotates with the coupler so there is no friction like a normal setup. The issue is that there is alot of force on the rear inside of the coupler, which some people claim have caused them problems when trying to decouple. Search "anderson hitch force diagram" and you will find the post that describes this, but I am sceptical of his description because his force "balance" shows that he has never heard of Newton's 3rd Law.

Will do. I was also looking at the Centerline TS and BlueOx. The BlueOx is a bit spendy, though.
Old 08-14-2015, 05:34 AM   #13

When setting up your hitch, it is important to know two major items: tongue weight and proper weight distribution. The information you provided definitely shows proper weight distribution, but if your tongue weight is too light, that could potentially cause sway.

Assuming your tongue weight is in the proper range (10-15%), I wouldn't change your setup. The rear end sagging is what will happen when you tow a heavy trailer. Nothing wrong with that, assuming you are not over your rear axle weight rating.

The best thing to do would be to go to a Cat scale to weigh your setup when fully loaded for camping. That will tell you all you need to know.
jasoncw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 07:14 AM   #14

Looks spot on to me.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 08:47 AM   #15

Quote:
Will do. I was also looking at the Centerline TS and BlueOx. The BlueOx is a bit spendy, though.
The Blue Ox was cheaper than the Equal-I-zer at my dealer, they did not have many other options so I shelled out the $$$ (painfully).

The Blue Ox is very very heavy, it must add 70-80lb to my tongue weight, so if you are skirting your maximum payload that is another plus for the Anderson Hitch.
Old 08-14-2015, 09:12 AM   #16

The Equalizer is heavy, too. Probably even heavier than the Blue Ox if I had to guess. But it's also rock solid and very heavy duty so worth it for me.

How much are the Equalizers going for at dealerships anyways?
Old 08-14-2015, 09:15 AM   #17

$899 average. (installed)
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 09:22 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBound View Post
The Equalizer is heavy, too. Probably even heavier than the Blue Ox if I had to guess. But it's also rock solid and very heavy duty so worth it for me.

How much are the Equalizers going for at dealerships anyways?
The Equal-i-zer head is a little lighter than the Blue Ox SwayPro, but not much.

You can buy it online for under $600 shipped and install it yourself (even cheaper for those less than the 1,400# model). The hardest part is torquing down the ball.

jasoncw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 09:46 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasoncw View Post
The Equal-i-zer head is a little lighter than the Blue Ox SwayPro, but not much.

You can buy it online for under $600 shipped and install it yourself (even cheaper for those less than the 1,400# model). The hardest part is torquing down the ball.
Most of these hitches are relatively easy to install. The biggest problem is most people don't have a torque wrench that goes up to 200, 300 ft lbs. I wonder if those can be rented?
Old 08-14-2015, 09:52 AM   #20

There are two auto parts stores near me that rent torque wrenches that go up to 250 ft. lbs. When I told them I just needed to torque one bolt in the parking lot, they let me use it for free.
BrentB is offline   Reply With Quote