Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-26-2017, 11:11 AM   #1

WDH/Sway Control

You can see from my signature that we have a 2010 F150 towing a 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSX. The trailer's GVWR is just under 6000 pounds, so the tongue weight will be around 900 pounds max. I currently have a Husky Trunion Bar WDH hitch package with their friction sway control, and it works well, but it's rather tedious to hitch up and go. Too much time involved, and I'm not as limber as I used to be. Our sloped driveway is a big part of the challenge, and it's an annoying pain to unhook and then hook up again every couple of days at campgrounds when traveling.

So I'm looking for EASE OF USE as much as effective weight distribution and sway control. There are lots of options, like Equal-I-Zer, Andersen, Reese Dual Cam, Blue Ox, ProPride and others. Money is not unlimited.

What would you suggest? Thanks!

Roger

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 11:37 AM   #2

Roger,

I would bet the PP and HA would probably be almost as much of a pain to hook up, since you need to line the stinger up exactly as I understand. Hopefully someone with one can post actual experience. Make sure you have the available payload and receiver hitch tw rating for one as they are heavy, about 200lbs from what I have read. BUT, the sway control is awesome from all reviews!!!

The Reese Dual Cam is a great system, but make sure you mount the cam brackets correctly on the tongue. All the way against the bottom of the frame, then slide the bracket to the face of the frame. If f there is space between the frame face and bracket, use a hardened washer/ spaced to fill the space. Otherwise the bracket will possibly loosen over time, egging the bolt holes.

Consider the Reese SC system as well!!! Sway control just like the 4 way Equal-I-Zer system, but with replaceable pad material vs the metal on metal of the 4 way system. Both Reese models allow swapping out the wd bars if you buy a new trailer with a higher/lower tw. The SC up to 1500lb bars, the DC up to 1700lb bars. The hitch head (same for both models) does allow more fine tuning vs the 4 way system as well.

The Equal-I-Zer system is a proven system like the Reese models. But adding or subtracting a washer for the hitch head tilt is about the same as moving the tongue brackets up or down a hole. That is per a tech at Equal-I-Zer I talked to. The Reese as I mentioned allows fine tuning, almost like if you could use a 1/2 thick washer on the 4 way system. Also, if a new trailer needs different wd bars, a whole new system is needed as the bars are not interchangeable with different rated hitch heads.

Unless something has changed, I have read the Anderson system has trouble with higher tongue weights. It's not able to transfer all the required weight back to the front axle. So do you homework to see if it's still the case. I don't recall exactly what that "highert", tw amout was, but thing it was 8-900lbs or so.

Blue Or: I keep reading pretty good things about it. Just can't fully wrap my head around exactly how it works.....

Consider the Busky CenterLine system or Recurve R6 model also. I have read great things about both systems!!! Only complaint on the CenterLine system was for the top model: The one with the "bumper cushions" (or whatever they are called) had a few failures when first introduced, but warranties without any hesitation!!! The top model requires being in almost a straight line to hook and unhook the wd bars. And the hitch head is heavy.... lol But what system (besides the Anderson!!!) is oight?!?!?! Husky does have two models available. Buddy he's the lower model and had been pretty happy so far with it. But it's his first high walled tt (had a pup up before!!!) and first wdh system.

Myself, I would probably lean toward the Reese SC or DC. With one of the CenterLine systems being right behind as the next choice.

Good luck deciding!!!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 11:53 AM   #3

I have the recurve 3 and i love it. Very quick and solid and quiet. I grease the contact points and that's it. There is a brake pad that you tighten that helps you set how much sway. I also have a Hayes electronic sway controller. Between the two of those I have not felt a single bit of sway at high speeds. Honestly I love this setup. Takes minutes to hitch up and go.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Claytonbwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 11:55 AM   #4

Easy hook up WDH's

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkresge View Post
You can see from my signature that we have a 2010 F150 towing a 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSX. The trailer's GVWR is just under 6000 pounds, so the tongue weight will be around 900 pounds max. I currently have a Husky Trunion Bar WDH hitch package with their friction sway control, and it works well, but it's rather tedious to hitch up and go. Too much time involved, and I'm not as limber as I used to be. Our sloped driveway is a big part of the challenge, and it's an annoying pain to unhook and then hook up again every couple of days at campgrounds when traveling.

So I'm looking for EASE OF USE as much as effective weight distribution and sway control. There are lots of options, like Equal-I-Zer, Andersen, Reese Dual Cam, Blue Ox, ProPride and others. Money is not unlimited.

What would you suggest? Thanks!

Roger
Look at these for ease of hook up:

https://www.amazon.com/3326-Andersen...=ALL4KQ853O570

Recurve R6 Weight Distributing Hitch - Camco

JHerzog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 11:56 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHerzog View Post
The recurve 6 is amazing!!!!

Old 07-26-2017, 12:06 PM   #6

WDH/Sway Control

I have a Blue OX and it works great. Had one for my last camper as well. Easy to setup too.
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 12:24 PM   #7

I have one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005SB6S3Y..._I3nEzb0WTFYDC
Not sure how it can get much easier than attaching two bars and latching them in place. It takes me about 5 minutes.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 12:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanNJanice View Post
I have one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005SB6S3Y..._I3nEzb0WTFYDC
Not sure how it can get much easier than attaching two bars and latching them in place. It takes me about 5 minutes.
That's basically what I have. I wish it were that easy. Biggest challenge is getting the chains hooked up - have to raise the trailer's jack a lot, and it really takes a lot of time.

Old 07-26-2017, 12:47 PM   #9

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
It only takes 5 minutes to get hooked up and what is 5 minutes in RV life. Enjoy and appreciate.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 01:11 PM   #10

Quote:
That's basically what I have. I wish it were that easy. Biggest challenge is getting the chains hooked up - have to raise the trailer's jack a lot, and it really takes a lot of time.
Maybe consider an electric tongue jack. That would fix that problem. I just lock down the ball on the hitch, press the up button on the jack and raise it enough to latch down the spring bars.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 02:00 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanNJanice View Post
Maybe consider an electric tongue jack. That would fix that problem. I just lock down the ball on the hitch, press the up button on the jack and raise it enough to latch down the spring bars.
Have an electric tongue jack. You haven't seen my driveway.

Old 07-26-2017, 02:01 PM   #12

Seriously, folks - I know what I have and I'm looking for something that is easier to work with. Thanks!

Roger

Old 07-26-2017, 02:06 PM   #13

Quote:
Seriously, folks - I know what I have and I'm looking for something that is easier to work with. Thanks!

Roger
Go for the recurve 3 or 6. The 6 you don't have to get put and disconnect the arms be for you backup. It does it automatically.

Old 07-26-2017, 03:16 PM   #14

Quote:

Roger
I have the same Trailer towing with a half ton also and i use a Blue Ox Sway Pro.

Best choice i have made so far it is rock solid towing.

A Heavy Tongue jack i would reccomend i raise the trailer and the back of the truck with tongue jack and i can use my hand (no wrench needed) to snap the locks in place and release.

The wrench provided with jack is not good but a breaker bar and socket work well. The whole trick with the Blue Ox Is raising it high enough with tongue jack to take all the pressure off.

But you still have to wait on the jack to raise it. I think it is super easy much better then the old Eaz-Lift i had before.
Blue Ox Sway Pro
2014 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
TxTwoSome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 03:25 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:

Roger
If you are strictly interested in ease of use, then the Anderson is for you. I really like mine now that I have it set up and have used it a few times. A minute or two start to finish and best of all, no grease. It's awesome.

As mentioned earlier, I have read some concern as to the Anderson's ability with heavy trailers. But with my 3/4 ton Ram and my trailer, it works perfectly.
Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 05:00 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
If you are strictly interested in ease of use, then the Anderson is for you. I really like mine now that I have it set up and have used it a few times. A minute or two start to finish and best of all, no grease. It's awesome.

As mentioned earlier, I have read some concern as to the Anderson's ability with heavy trailers. But with my 3/4 ton Ram and my trailer, it works perfectly.
X2. F250 and 27DSRL
2nOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 05:02 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post

... and your trailer is a ...?
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 05:15 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanaz View Post
... And your trailer is a ...?
22bhm
Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 06:57 PM   #19

I know you said money is not unlimited but....? I have a Hensley Arrow. Takes about 5 min to connect after the initial setup is done. I know it is pricey but I have zero sway, can back it up into the tightest of sites and the sharpest turns. Also I can honestly say that after the accident I had with it, if it were not for my Hensley I and my family would probably not be here. I was rear ended and the impact almost forced my rig to jack knife into a tractor trailer. Also it is a great conversation piece in gas stations and campgrounds alike. Like I said pricey but will never pull with out it. Check out their videos

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
Nitehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 07:17 PM   #20

This anti-war bar from the Hensley took the force of the hit and prevented us from being sent into traffic

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
Nitehawk is offline   Reply With Quote