Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-20-2013, 06:41 AM   #21

Thanks Brian!!!! Going to use that trick!!

Kathie

2011 Jayco Flight G2 23FB
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 HD
1500Weight Distribution System, Accupower Pilot Brake Control, Sway Control, Husky Elec Jack
Moving Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:23 PM   #22

I can tell you this ... don't do what I have been doing in the past :-) I have the Equalizer WDH and typically just took the square bars off and leaned them against the side of the front of my TT next to the propane tanks - one on each side. This weekend I forgot to remove them from there before I started lowering the tongue jack down onto the tow vehicle's hitch ball. At some point one of the bars slide down the rail of the trailer and leaned on the front fiberglass of the curved part of the front of my 213EXP TT. I keep lowering the tongue only to quickly hear CRUNCH as the bar went right through the front of the trailer - DOH!. Note my 2010 213EXP doesn't have any diamond plate protecting the part of the front of the trailer, so it just went right through. Oh well, I guess its time that I put some diamond plate up there anyway.
chlinthi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:46 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving Target View Post
Thanks Brian!!!! Going to use that trick!!

Kathie
You're welcome!....I'll post some pics later today
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:02 AM   #24
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chlinthi View Post
I can tell you this ... don't do what I have been doing in the past :-) I have the Equalizer WDH and typically just took the square bars off and leaned them against the side of the front of my TT next to the propane tanks - one on each side. This weekend I forgot to remove them from there before I started lowering the tongue jack down onto the tow vehicle's hitch ball. At some point one of the bars slide down the rail of the trailer and leaned on the front fiberglass of the curved part of the front of my 213EXP TT. I keep lowering the tongue only to quickly hear CRUNCH as the bar went right through the front of the trailer - DOH!. Note my 2010 213EXP doesn't have any diamond plate protecting the part of the front of the trailer, so it just went right through. Oh well, I guess its time that I put some diamond plate up there anyway.
Not sure the diamond plate would have made much difference anyway. Its actually just some very thin plastic that looks like metal. It will deflect rocks, but a Spring bar with the weight of the trailer coming down on it, I`m thinking you would still have a hole there. But installing it now will cover that blemish!
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 03:16 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threebutchers View Post
You're welcome!....I'll post some pics later today
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-03-31_17-05-50_123.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	7078Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-03-31_17-06-30_255.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	7079

Wrap the bars 2-3X w/ heavy double-sided velcro. I keep mine in the trunk so it keeps them from clanging / sliding / getting grease on the trunk carpet
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:13 AM   #26

With the weight of the bars I would be afraid that it would pull the PVC pipe loose. How big of screws did you use to attach the PVC pipe? Any pictures?
I just lay mine on the frame between the tanks and the battery box when camping and I store them in the pass thru when the trailer is in storage.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once
joe in calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 06:18 PM   #27
Lost in the Woods

I never remove my weight distribution hitch when I disconnect. Once I relieve the tension on the bars I remove the hitch pin and lower the jack until the hitch is free (no tension on it) then just drive out leaving the whole weight distribution hitch still hooked up and locked to the TT.
wwsmith111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 07:25 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwsmith111 View Post
I never remove my weight distribution hitch when I disconnect. Once I relieve the tension on the bars I remove the hitch pin and lower the jack until the hitch is free (no tension on it) then just drive out leaving the whole weight distribution hitch still hooked up and locked to the TT.

I have also thought about doing this but haven't because I thought hitching back up would be pretty tough.

What do you do when you hitch back up? Is it like threading a needle?
DKRITTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:53 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKRITTER View Post
I have also thought about doing this but haven't because I thought hitching back up would be pretty tough.

What do you do when you hitch back up? Is it like threading a needle?
I have watched people doing this and in most cases it worked. However, I also saw a one that did not work well and it resulted in a hand injury. The wife was doing the backing and the husband was doing the yelling/hand signals and then some kind of dance after the distance between heavy stuff and his hand reduced to zero. Not saying it dosn't work but I am saying it's not as safe as following the tried and true way.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:58 AM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKRITTER View Post
I have also thought about doing this but haven't because I thought hitching back up would be pretty tough.....snip
IMO it's dangerous, and the risk of damaging equipment isn't worth the effort.

But that's just me.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 12:01 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldermike View Post
I have watched people doing this and in most cases it worked. However, I also saw a one that did not work well and it resulted in a hand injury. The wife was doing the backing and the husband was doing the yelling/hand signals and then some kind of dance after the distance between heavy stuff and his hand reduced to zero. Not saying it dosn't work but I am saying it's not as safe as following the tried and true way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
IMO it's dangerous, and the risk of damaging equipment isn't worth the effort.

But that's just me.

Bob

Kinda what I was thinking.

As for storage I have an Equalizer brand hitch.I store the bars with a shop towel around them in the front storage (one on each side) and if we are going to be parked for some time I also store the hitch there.
DKRITTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:44 PM   #32

If I am at home they are in the Garage, use to be on a shelf, but now they stay on the floor. If we are at a CG just for the weekend, typically I leave it on the TV. Sometimes I remove it. The bars lay across the A-frame behind the propane tanks. The hitch it’s self I typically just connect the ball to the tongue to keep the grease clean of debris. Sometimes I will place it next to the A-frame. At the CG, I am not too concerned about someone walking off with it. Yes with the price of scrap metal it is worth a few bucks, but for the effort to carry it, it is not worth it. In the winter it sits right inside the passage door on a piece of plywood. Whenever it is not connected to the TT, I keep a red solo cup on the ball to keep the grease from getting on everything.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 01:50 AM   #33

When we are travelling I leave the hitch in the TV. The bars go either under the trailer at the jack or into the truck box.
2011 Jayco JayFeather Select 28U
Equal-i-zer 1400/14000
Rotochocks
owenssailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 08:10 PM   #34

Moose is on the loose, what kind of hitch are you towing this TT with, and what weight rating are your bars? Also, what type of TV do you pull it with? We are awaiting arrival of a new 2014 33bhts and trying to figure out what we should expect.
Old 03-06-2014, 07:52 AM   #35

We've sold the TT and have a 5th now but:
In storage, I put the bars just inside the door on a mat to keep them off the floor. In a CG, I discovered they will rest across the rear portion of the A-frame, one end on the frame and the other resting on the spare tire (mounted under the A-frame). I put one on each side so they're easy to get to when hitching up. They're kinda out of the way and not too noticeable, never worried about them walking off.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:50 PM   #36

hitch

Jessie,
I believe I have a reese brand hitch however I don't remember what the weight rating is I will try to check on it this weekend. The camper is in storage. I do tow with a 3-4 ton HD 2002 chevy with 4:10 rear end and a 6 liter gas engine. The mileage stinks while towing, about 8-9 . However the truck pulls the camper real nice.
the moose is loose is offline   Reply With Quote